What Is Yahoo Thinking?

As the Forechecker pointed out in a tweet,

It’s a sad week for sports writing. First, WaPo hooks up with Bleacher Report, now Yahoo features “Associated Content”

Want an example?

The Red Wings fans are some of the least knowledgeable, obnoxious, arrogant group of wannabe hockey fans I’ve ever had the displeasure of meeting. They are more interested in getting drunk at the games than to actually watch the game. I guess if my team was as boring as Detroit’s I would just drink instead too. When the fans are good and drunk and want to show their Red Wings some love, they throw Octopus out onto the ice. Sometimes the octopus is alive, sometimes it isn’t; either way, it’s just another stupid thing Detroit Red Wings fans do. I hate the Detroit Red Wings and their obnoxious fans. The Red Wings have the worst hockey fans and the worst hockey team

if you wish, you can read more....

added 5:03pm, A little about the author- a retired police officer and freelance wrtiter, plus she is looking for work.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: yahoo

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

That reads like an angry text sent from some middle school kid to the girl that spurned him.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/22/10 at 07:01 PM ET

I chuckled hard in my belly.  Even gave me a chub.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/22/10 at 07:01 PM ET

Puck's avatar

From her Facebook:
“I love Rumors!! I find out so much about me that I didn’t even know!, ♥ You may not end up where you thought you’d be,but you always end up where you’re meant to be ♥, As I get older I think I am developing more patience. Turns out I just don’t give a SHIT!, I’m currently making some changes in my life. If you don’t hear from me, you’re one of them., when i see your face, theres not a thing that i would change, cause youre amazing, just the way you are, When life hands you lemons…......... DEMAND Tequila and Salt!!!!!!, I hate when people try to lie to you after you clearly know the truth., I wish cancer would get cancer and die so we could keep our loved ones a lot longer, If you’re talking behind my back, you’re in a good position to kiss my ass!, *BESTFRIENDS* they know how weird you are and still choose to be seen with you in public wink, If I need to take a drug test to get a job, then you need a drug test to get welfare!, “Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.”, Your 10, and you have facebook and a cell phone? When I was 10.. I had a coloring book and chalk, Dear Lord, please give me the strength to not slap an idiot today…...Amen., Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool., Life is too short to stress yourself with people who don’t even deserve to be an issue in your life..smile, If you’re talking behind my back, you’re in a good position to kiss my ass!, I ♥ My Mom For Everything She has Done., Going to church doesn’t make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.”

She’s a walking cliche and probably wouldn’t pass a junior high school creative writing class with her level of skill.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 10/22/10 at 07:02 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Yahoo has been dead to me for a while. If it weren’t for “associated content,” Yahoo wouldn’t have any content at all. The cited “content” is no different than the garbage puck daddy spews most of the time, so what’s the difference?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/22/10 at 07:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Please do not click through to her article.  The writers at Associate Content are paid strictly on a clicks-per-thousand basis.

If you really want to send a message to Yahoo that posting this kind of stuff is a horrible idea, don’t read Associated Content material, no matter how trolling it is.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/10 at 07:07 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

This has got to be a joke.

Yahoo realizes that “Associated Content” is basically a glorified message board, right?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 10/22/10 at 07:09 PM ET

Please do not click through to her article.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/10 at 05:07 PM ET

Done.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/22/10 at 07:09 PM ET

Moq's avatar

That would probably have sufficed.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 10/22/10 at 07:18 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/10 at 05:07 PM ET

I wish I’d known that before I clicked.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/22/10 at 07:20 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Wow.  Jealous much?

All that’s missing was the old jokes.  So considering she missed those, she’s no expert.  Maybe Pinky could give her some pointers and she’d be bona fide.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 10/22/10 at 07:55 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

BWAAAAHHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/22/10 at 08:08 PM ET

For the record: We’ve voiced our protest about Associated Content material being mixed into the news feeds. I have no idea what the Y! braintrust was thinking allowing fan posts to co-mingle with, say, AP copy without having them clearly labeled as such. It makes the news side of the Y! Sports family look like amateur hour. I’m in favor of there being some kind of fan post sidebar or dept. like SB Nation has.

But I’ve been told that Associated Content isn’t going anywhere, so we can only hope they do something to differentiate it from the news content or not mix it in. Otherwise, it’s an embarrassment for us.

It didn’t mention anything about you wearing a tin foil hat. It’s, like, totally different from Puck Daddy.

Posted by wyshynski on 10/22/10 at 08:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

tHAT IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL, ARTICULATE AND ASTUTE ACTICLE I HAVE EVER READ1 (TM Nate A)

Posted by calquake on 10/22/10 at 08:46 PM ET

While I think this “article” is garbage, I find it amusing that it’s being panned by a guy who links to Adrian Dater.

Posted by grndlprm on 10/22/10 at 08:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If they do that, can you put Lambert’s articles with the Associated Content stuff so it’s easier to ignore?  wink

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/10 at 08:53 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Posted by calquake on 10/22/10 at 06:46 PM ET

Just a WAG, but you guys have invented a KK Sarcasm Font? LOL

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 10/22/10 at 09:02 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just a WAG, but you guys have invented a KK Sarcasm Font?
Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 10/22/10 at 07:02 PM ET

Thanks to Nate A.  It came up during a live blog.

Posted by calquake on 10/22/10 at 09:34 PM ET

CMo44's avatar

Yahoo! seems to own “AC”, so I guess it’s not going anywhere like wyshynski says.  From wiki: On May 19, 2010, Yahoo announced that it would purchase Associated Content for slightly more than $100 million.

That’s just an embarrassing post that was cited above (re: Red Wings).

Posted by CMo44 on 10/22/10 at 11:00 PM ET

Are people more upset about the topic of the article or the fact that this is being mixed into actual news feeds?  If this was about any of the other NHL teams, I doubt it gets a second look (and I’m positive no one goes and posts stuff from her Facebook page).  Honestly, it reads like a lot of the other stuff I read from places I go online for sports coverage.  It’s amazing how fast some people are to criticize when they do/support the exact same.  The difference being that one supports their viewpoint while the other goes against it.

JJ, if this article, which is posted on this author’s page/blog/whatever the hell it is, is trolling, how is something like A2Y not?  Same with Pensblog and any other blog that focuses on a team.  How does it make her a troll to post something like this on her own?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/23/10 at 01:41 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/22/10 at 11:41 PM ET

I’d like to start by clarifying that my problem is the overall quality of the ten fan articles I read over there are very poor.  I read one from a guy who wrote five reasons he hates the Predators and five reasons the Red Wings are the best team in the league that I thought was equally as amateurish and poorly written.  This wouldn’t be a problem if, like Wyshynski said, it were made clear that these were fan-section articles instead of mixing them with actual professionally written articles.

As far as the differences between this and A2Y or Pensblog?  I won’t argue it’s the same concept.  My advice to anybody who doesn’t like the writing on those blogs is to also avoid going to those sites if you don’t like the standards of their writing. I will seriously say though that if the article above or the other stuff at Associated Content closely resembles the sites you visit regularly, then you should probably find a higher quality of blogs to frequent.  I like the Pensblog because, while they might troll, they don’t write like shit.

Yahoo screwed up with the way they introduced this.  They’ve mixed horribly amateurish writing with stuff of acceptable quality and that hurts them.  I want them to correct this and the best way I know how to let Yahoo know that (aside from the email I’ve sent) is to ask people to resist clicking the links.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/23/10 at 02:03 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

i got a job for her…

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 10/23/10 at 08:52 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Quite. Had the situation been reversed, ie. an angry Red Wings fan pouring hate on the Dallas Stars, we would be a weekend writing course away from a third Red Wings blog at Kukla’s Korner . The argument/excuse would probably be something about gender diversity and Red Wings coverage. wink

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 10/23/10 at 10:08 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

How about that the quality of writing is worse than crap? At least manure is useful.

Seriously, if you are going to troll, at least put some effort into the writing. No matter which team you are going to rip apart - and originality helps, too.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 10/23/10 at 10:28 AM ET