What Is The Difference Between Perception And Misperception?

from David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune,

This was a sin so egregious Shanahan, the NHL senior vice president of player safety, will have no choice but to act swiftly to suspend Torres, right Commissioner Bettman?

“You’re asking me to prejudge something,’’ Bettman answered. “I’m certain it was observed by hockey operations and in particular player safety and to the extent it requires review or action, they will do it. But let’s not jump the gun.’‘

Bettman believes too many people have done just that during an ugly postseason when the quantity of scuffles has overshadowed the quality of play. Where I see a dangerous trend, Bettman sees tradition, citing the rough-and-tumble game he heard old-timers reminiscing about on the radio.

“A lot of it is perception and misperception,’’ Bettman said. “The game is physical, the game is emotional. These games are hard-fought. Having said that, I’d say player safety is monitored closely and being dealt with in an appropriate way.’‘

When I mentioned that the league had been inconsistent with penalties — contrasting Shaw’s three-game suspension with Predators defenseman Shea Weber’s $2,500 fine for slamming Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the glass — Bettman scoffed.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gary+bettman

Comments

RedMenace's avatar

From the article, Bettman says:

<quote>”The Shea Weber situation was one that I think people have given excess attention to (but) nobody thinks it should have been more than a one-game suspension...’‘
</quote>

... and then goes on to say:

<quote>“Somebody may look at (Shaw’s collision) as an accident or no big deal,’’ Bettman said. “I don’t fault that opinion, except the rest of the world won’t view it that way.
</quote>

Really, Gary? So someone making a COMPLETE non-hockey play and slamming someone face into the glass WWE-style deserves a one-game suspension AT MOST, while someone who makes contact with the head of a goaltender during the course of play got what he deserved, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong?

Okay, you know what? I’ve tended to give Little G the benefit of the doubt over the past few years, but it’s time for this joker to go. Absolute, 100%, pure, unadulterated willful ignorance that borders on stupidity right there.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/18/12 at 01:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Okay, wow. I’m just going to sit over here in the corner with my retardation.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/18/12 at 01:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

*#$%@& you, Gary Bettman.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/12 at 01:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Faux you, Shana…Bettman.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/18/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

defending Shaw’s suspension with a tone that he knew something the rest of us didn’t.

Hummmm….. Gary you are so sneaky. What could you know that we don’t know? Oh, you have scripts in your briefcase?  You should have paid hollywood, instead of the WWE, to write them Gary. It might have been a tad more believable. Clown.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Words of a fool.

“The Shea Weber situation was one that I think people have given excess attention to (but) nobody thinks it should have been more than a one-game suspension,’’ Bettman said. “The attention it is getting has nothing to do with the other situations on the ice.’‘

I’ve never cared for this little twit but now I can’t downright stand him. When are the owners going to see this man is not good for their sport? Didn’t these dimwits just renew his contract? What the heckfire is wrong with these guys?!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/18/12 at 02:29 PM ET

It depends on your definition of good.
League revenue is up again, as it has been every year since the lockout
New TV deal
Ratings are up

I can only hope that the disgraceful showing in the playoffs will change some of this.  I certainly don’t plan on giving them any more of my money anytime soon.

Posted by jwad on 04/18/12 at 02:56 PM ET

You keep using those words.  I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/18/12 at 03:22 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

this is the richest blah blah blah in at least three years. we have known bettman for who he is since , well, pick any year since 2006 . he’s finally being revealed and exposed for what so MANY of us already knew. all you are hearing in the last two weeks from every corner - “the NHL is a joke”. so very sad for a sport with great athletes, great cities, great arenas, great fans, and great coaches. sucks to be you NHL.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/18/12 at 04:01 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

If anything, I feel the league underreacted to the Weber incident, and is now (as a result) overreacting to everything else.

Even the Torres hit was a hockey play, and if he hadn’t left his feet he wouldn’t have contacted the head at all. You look at some of the other hits that have been dished out (Weber, anything James Neil has done, etc.) and you see more brutal/blatant attempts at injury with (luckily) less damage done. Torres’ hit seemed to have less intent, but more injury.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/18/12 at 05:35 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

“nobody thinks it should have been more than a one-game suspension”

Yet, he didn’t get that one-game suspension. Like it or not, that sorta influences everything else that has gone on.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 04/18/12 at 07:27 PM ET