What Happens If Milbury Replaces Cherry?

from Cam Cole of the Vancouver Sun,

Here is the sticky part for the CBC, on that day when Mike Milbury inevitably replaces Don Cherry as the voice of bombast on Hockey Night in Canada:

Now that he’s come out on the Saturday night Hot Stove advocating an end to fighting - or at least an end to employment of the 6-foot-8, knuckle-dragging goons who sit on the end of the bench, unable to play actual hockey but waiting to be released from their cages so that they may get their skate-blades wet long enough to bloody someone’s face - what does Hockey Night use for his introductory video?

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury

Comments

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Milbury must know somebody really important to have the jobs that he has had with NBC, CBC, and Vs.

He destroyed the Islanders and he was a terrible coach that commanded little respect from his players,

He brings nothing to the table from an IQ perspective, but then again, Grapes has been dead on arrival for the last 15 years or so as well.

I suppose it would be fitting; but my goodness, Milbury is an idiot that gets none of my personal reflective hockey time outside of a few sentences on a blog once or twice a year that focus on the general hockey scrub that he is.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/07/11 at 04:17 PM ET

edillac's avatar

do they do viewer research over there?
are there really people who would want to watch more Milbury on TV?
I dont believe so,he must have some heavy blackmail material,
or that country is brain dead

Posted by edillac from isolation on 03/07/11 at 04:21 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by edillac from Rollin’ down the street on 03/07/11 at 01:21 PM ET

Seriously, it would be great to know how he and Pierre McGuire have been appointed the “ambassadors of hockey” with their highly visible jobs on both sides of the border.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/07/11 at 04:27 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Cherry is probably the only person over whom Milbury would represent an improvement.

Actually, scratch that - they’re both better than Matthew Barnaby.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 03/07/11 at 05:01 PM ET

As sad as it sounds, Milbury replacing Cherry on HNIC would be a coup.  That show’s formula needs to include a controversial contrarian curmudgeon (yeah, I alliterated, bitches) who’s fearless in his opinions and won’t back down.  It’s why it has worked for so long.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/07/11 at 05:08 PM ET

As for a probable replacement for Ron MacLean, I vote for Ray Ferraro.  I definitely do not want Pierre McGuire as an HNIC broadcast host; hell no…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/07/11 at 05:11 PM ET

I’ve said it other places: Whenever Mad Mike is on I change the channel.  If he replaces Cherry I’ll never watch a first perIod intermission on HNIC.

Posted by loojay on 03/07/11 at 07:11 PM ET

If he replaces Cherry I’ll never watch a first perIod intermission on HNIC.

Neither will I.  But then again, I don’t watch the first period intermission now as it is.

Posted by Garth on 03/07/11 at 07:39 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

If he replaces Cherry I’ll never watch a first perIod intermission on HNIC.

Posted by loojay on 03/07/11 at 04:11 PM ET

I agree. There can be only one. No apologies here.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/07/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Which circle of hell have I awakened in when Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire are the voices of CBC hockey? There is no doubt the worst punishment that can be bestowed upon the New York Islanders is having Mike Milbury provide his “insight” on how to run a hockey organization and the Dick Vitale clone has gotten better, but he’s not my top choice either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 03/08/11 at 12:40 PM ET