What Version Of Chris Chelios Will We See?

from Matt Porter of the Boston Globe,

The day is fast approaching when a whole bunch of new names — Chris Chelios and Mark Messier (ESPN) and Wayne Gretzky (Turner) among them — will appear on our screens to break down games and discuss the league. Network executives will tell you that their hires, particularly Hall of Famers, will bring the heat.

Know what would be good TV?

Chelios and Gary Bettman having a discussion about what’s good for the game. Wonder how much they’d agree.

If they get to talking labor issues, it might get tense. In 1994, as Lockout 1 was under way and those beneath the executive level were losing paychecks, Chelios wondered aloud about Bettman’s safety … and didn’t seem too concerned about it.

“If I was Gary Bettman, I’d worry about my family, about my well-being,” Chelios said. “He’s going to affect a lot of people. Some crazed fan or even a player — who knows? — they might take it into their own hands and figure they get him out of the way, things might get settled. You hate to see something like that happen, but he took the job.”

more plus other hockey topics...

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Messier, Chelios, and Melrose.

eNTERTAINING (TM Tyler).

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/14/21 at 12:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

What Version Of Chris Chelios Will We See?

Whichever one it is, I’ll still be older than he is, damn it.  mad

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/14/21 at 02:59 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

As much as ESPN spends time reading Twitter on the air, you gotta try for a mention while he’s on, OTC!  smile

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 08/14/21 at 05:13 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit

Well, HD, I’m soooo old I not only don’t have a Twitter account, I don’t even have a cell phone. And I’m hoping when I die those two things will still be true.  grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/14/21 at 07:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And I’m hoping when I die those two things will still be true.

I know a guy…  smile  cheese

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 08/14/21 at 09:35 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I know a guy…  smile  cheese

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best

Well, let’s see how this season goes, cal. If it’s as bad as the one two years ago, I may want his number.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/14/21 at 11:38 PM ET