What Type Of Fan Are You?

1. The Fan Who Punches a Wall

2. The Single F-Bomb Fan

3. The “Oh My God Oh My God Oh My God NOOO!” Fan

Sean McIndoe of Grantland has 17 more for you with an explanation on all.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

4. all of the above

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/21/13 at 02:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Usually 3, then 2 followed by 1

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/21/13 at 02:28 PM ET

My coffee table didn’t survive the 09 Stanley Cup Finals.

Posted by swinkey on 05/21/13 at 02:31 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I didnt read the rest yet, but I’m pretty sure number 4 takes the cup among the 19:

or setting something on fire

That’s why you need pets, right?  I mean, is there a better way to sacrifice them?

Posted by Zqto on 05/21/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Posted by Zqto on 05/21/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Roasted pussy…-cat?

shock

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/21/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Over the years I’ve been:
2. The Single F-Bomb Fan
4. The Superstitious Fan
11. The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “What Are You Doing?!”
16. The Fan Who Suddenly Has to go for a Walk
But I became #18. The Non-Reaction Fan. I became that fan at the 60:00 mark, game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals. When the final horn sounded I turned the tv off immediately and proceeded to party like it wasn’t 2009. Been that fan ever since.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/21/13 at 02:40 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ha.  If I uttered 3 my wife would laugh at me and remind me that: a) you’re an atheist; and b), even if there were a higher order, it wouldn’t give a shit about the outcome of sporting events, so cool it.

I’m mostly 2a, Multiple F bombs, though I did break the arm off a chair once.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/21/13 at 02:40 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

11. The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “What Are You Doing?!”

or, “What the hell was that?”.  Pretty common.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/21/13 at 02:42 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

11. The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “What Are You Doing?!”

Bingo.

I’m also 11a: The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “Get the G.D. puck out of the zone.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/21/13 at 02:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’m also 11a: The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “Get the G.D. puck out of the zone.”Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/21/13 at 03:45 PM ET

That’s me, too.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/21/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Damn, this list is awesome! Just finished reading it
I think I might fit in at least 6 or 7 of them

But Im by far a 19 (how poetic!)
I react a lot more when things go nice… When shit is hitting the fan, I shut up
That’s why I almost never write on the Live Blogs, Im usually agitated with a Wings goal, or quietly cursing something in thoughts

Posted by Zqto on 05/21/13 at 02:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I am a Wingaholic. Many symptoms. No known cure.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/21/13 at 02:51 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

More ofthen than not, the single F bomb variety here.
I did spill a full beer last night when $0.20 scored. Not sure which pissed me off more.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/21/13 at 03:07 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

4. The Superstitious Fan

I’m NOT superstitious, I just won’t change what’s working. Right?

7. The Fan Who Kind of Seems to Maybe Be Crying a Little Bit

I admit it, I’m a sensitive moron when it comes to sports. I get teary eyed with wins and losses.

11. The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “What Are You Doing?!”

Filppula, Smith, Quincey.

15. The Fan Who Stays in the Back of the Room

Also, The Fan Who Stands Up For The Whole Game.

17. The Fan Who Isn’t There Because He Only Watches Big Games at Home Alone

You know, due to being The Fan Who Stands Up For The Whole Game and The Fan That Cries.

18. The Non-Reaction Fan

Stare at the bedroom wall for half hour, don’t say a word and go to bed.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/21/13 at 03:08 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 05/21/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Kill it with fire. Definitely the way I do things.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/21/13 at 03:23 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

I’m also 11a: The Fan Who Keeps Yelling “Get the G.D. puck out of the zone.”

Posted by

OlderThanChelios

from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/21/13 at 03:45 PM ET

Me too, me too.  “Get the puck out, get the puck out, gotta get the puck out. WHY ISN’T THE PUCKOUT?!”

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 05/21/13 at 03:24 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

My wife spent a good portion of the game last night trying to record me with her iphone. The things that come out of my mouth at any given point of the game are unholy. Luckily, I was able to delete the evidence before the authorities were alerted.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/21/13 at 03:46 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Also, my dog spends every single Wings game assuming she’s in trouble because of the sheer volume. I’d feel bad, but she should really learn English to gain some context

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/21/13 at 03:47 PM ET

During 2002, I was #4 - Superstitious Fan. But it worked. It started working in Game 3 vs. Vancouver when Lidstrom hit that bomb from Center Ice, and the rest of the way through. Underwear smelled bad though, and really failed in 2003.

During 2006, I was #8 - Over-the-Top Meltdown Fan. In part because I knew Stevie Y was done, and I didn’t want to accept it.

Since the passing of my father, I’ve tried to be #20. But he was more of a #11, so it’s not like he wasn’t the same.

In 2009, I was a mix of #2 & #16.  Single loud F-bomb, followed by a walk.

Have to say I’ve stuck mainly with #2 since then.  However, the bf is #14, but picks the other team just to get under my skin.  If he’s not careful, I’ll turn to a #8 again.

Posted by CJBear71 on 05/21/13 at 03:54 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’m guilty of being many of those.

My daughter still gives me grief for crying during Game 7 of the SCF in 2009.  Sadly, it wasn’t the first time.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/21/13 at 04:54 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/21/13 at 05:54 PM ET

You weren’t the only one of the 19 who cried.

You didn’t write her out of your will for not crying with you?  surprised

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/21/13 at 05:01 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

You didn’t write her out of your will for not crying with you?

No…she has been known to be good luck (she walks in the room, Wings score) so I had to keep her in the will.  Of course that’s when I’m being superstitious fan.  Hmm, where are my lucky earrings again?  (they are 2-0 this series)

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/21/13 at 05:09 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

I certainly fit into a lot of those, however my most notable would be #7 Crying Fan.

I cried all the 35 minute drive home from the bar after both Game 6 and Game 7 in the 2009 SCF Finals, during which times I was repeatedly referred to as a p*ssy by my father (thanks for the support dad).

As for the rest, I can be any number on any given day depending on my mood.

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 05/21/13 at 08:31 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I’m fan #18 and it was no more apparent then 1993 and Joe Carter. I just sat there in silence, no reaction at all right after I made the comment “Don’t shake him off Mitch”.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/22/13 at 09:24 AM ET