What To Pay P.K Subban?

from Jack Todd at the Montreal Gazette,

The Habs have already made it clear they won’t be talking contract with Subban until after the playoffs, so a powerful playoff run by team and player could alter the picture considerably.

Whatever happens for the balance of the season, this will be the most momentous contractual decision the club has ever made and is likely to remain so at least until Carey Price’s six-year, $39-million deal expires after the 2017-18 season.

So how much do they offer Subban and for how many years? First, as my mentor Pat Hickey said a week ago, the Canadiens have to try to sign Markov to a three-year deal. He is, after all, their No. 1 defenceman. Then they have to take a serious run at Thomas Vanek.

Up to the Olympic break, you would have said open the vault, give P.K. what it takes and move on. But unless you’re too busy cursing Therrien to actually watch the games, it’s hard to quibble with the way he’s using Subban.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: p.k.+subban

Comments

Well if the canadiens don’t get him, I think the Wings should offer whatever cap they have left after resigning their talent they already have. 8 or 9 mil a year sound good? sounds good to me. The wings have perhaps one of the weakest defense imho, as far as salary goes… Let’s get a good D man. Or someone else of the same caliber next year. I realize subbin is only rfa, so wings couldn’t get him until 2016 anyway.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/07/14 at 07:48 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well, except that Babcock basically didn’t play him in Sochi, which tells me he doesn’t like him.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/07/14 at 08:04 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/07/14 at 09:04 AM ET

In Sochi he was comparing him to Doughty and Pietrangelo and Keith. In Detroit he’d be comparing him to Smith and Lashoff and Kindl and Quincey and everyone not named Kronwall.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/07/14 at 08:44 AM ET

For all of the raw talent Subban has he is still a goof. I don’t know how many times I see him enter the offensive zone and literally skate around like he’s in a skills competition trying to weave in and around opposing players for no apparent reason, only to turn the puck over. Sure he’d be better than some of the guys we’re using now but I don’t see Babcock/Holland having any real interest in him given Bab’s taste in players and Subban’s sure-to-be stratospheric salary demands.

Posted by godblender on 04/07/14 at 08:50 AM ET

@ godblender:

I sort of agree with you, I’d like him more than most of our D now, but you’re right, he is not necessarily a solid stay at home D. I would love someone like Oliver eckman larrson, or Kieth Yandel, or just someone who can fortify our D.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/07/14 at 09:09 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Well stated, and that’s why Subban will not be a Red Wing in the fututre.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/07/14 at 08:10 PM ET