What Good Are Staged Fights?

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN on the fight last night between David Dziurzynski and Frazer McLaren,

The sight of Ottawa Senators forward Dave Dziurzynski lying on the ice, knocked out, after a getting pounded into submission by Toronto Maple Leafs heavyweight Frazer McLaren sickened me to no end.

Oh, wait, no one ever gets hurt in a hockey fight, right?

What a crock.

read on

I am 100% behind LeBrun on this, what good are they, most happen either at the start of the game or right after the puck is dropped from a faceoff.

These types of fights add nothing to the game and have been disgusting to watch.

Yes, I think fighting should be part of the game, but these staged fights have never been part of the game.

Missed the fight?  Watch it here.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: david+dziurzynski, frazer+mclaren

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Agreed completely. Everyone likes a good brawl, myself included. But right from the start of a game or period is almost always contrived and pointless. I don’t buy the line about doing it to motivate the team, either. If a team needs that kind of shenanigan to get motivated to play better hockey, then eff ‘em, they probably don’t deserve to win that game. The money and the love of the game should be plenty motivation to get up and get going and play hard.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/07/13 at 10:28 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Yeah, my reaction to the video of the fight was “Meh” because, I watch hockey, and thats not hockey… Besides, from the headline I knew the guy would eventually get up

If it was in a game I was watching, I probably would be tense until he moved… But my reaction would probably be the same ‘Meh”... Get him out of the rink and let’s go back to hockey
That’s what I was there to watch…. If I wanted to see 2 guys trained to fight, I would go watch UFC or some other crap

Posted by Zqto on 03/07/13 at 10:45 AM ET

Can someone, that has actually been in a hockey fight, define a staged fight?

I guess momentum doesn’t count as a reason for fighting?  Not that anyone needs to see a knockout to get “up.”  But the Leafs scored twice after that fight.

Players regularly state that a fight (win, lose or draw) can change the momentum of a game.

The knockout was unfortunate.  But they’re also very rare.  So the emotional response by the liberal media this morning isn’t justified.

Posted by Siggy on 03/07/13 at 11:18 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

the emotional response by the liberal media this morning isn’t justified.

Posted by Siggy on 03/07/13 at 11:18 AM ET

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/07/13 at 11:25 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

So fighting is ok, just not staged fighting?

And if someone gets knocked out in a “normal fight”, is it ok then?

Posted by TheFreak on 03/07/13 at 11:40 AM ET

Paul's avatar

So fighting is ok, just not staged fighting?

And if someone gets knocked out in a “normal fight”, is it ok then?

Posted by TheFreak on 03/07/13 at 11:40 AM ET

IMO I am fine with fighting, for a reason.  Again, staged fights ad nothing to the game.

KO’d during a fight, that is one of the risks of fighting but seeing it in a staged fight just make that type of fight worse.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/07/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Staged hugs. That’s what I’m into

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/07/13 at 12:28 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I personally dislike staged fights, they’re boring and they’re usually between two players I couldn’t care about because they’ll be on waivers or in the minors after not too long.  But I love a real hockey fight, where there is a legitimate reason for two players to start hating each other and putting up their fists.  But on the subject of injuries, I don’t think there is necessarilly more chances of getting injured in a staged fight then a real fight.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 03/07/13 at 01:04 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Siggy on 03/07/13 at 11:18 AM ET

GOTDAMM LIB SOCIALISTS RUININ MERICA.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 03/07/13 at 01:04 PM ET

Exactly. It really has nothing to do with injuries or no injuries in my book. It’s all about it being a waste of time, time that would be better spent playing real hockey. If I want to watch fighting for the sake of fighting, there’s MMA and boxing.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/07/13 at 01:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Staged fights are worthless & dumb & would get of the talentless Goons who can only fight

Posted by Evilpens on 03/07/13 at 01:38 PM ET

I guess I’m in the minority because I enjoying watching a hockey fight regardless of whether or not it’s “staged”...and isn’t a staged fight just two players agreeing upon dropping the gloves say, 2-3 seconds in advance? Is that so much more offensive to everyone than two players agreeing to drop the gloves during play and getting all tangled up immediately (with officials, potentially) and then rolling around on the ice?

Ok…

??? So what’s the problem with two borderline roster players who hate each other and want to put up their fist?! Those two statements seem a bit contradictory. Besides, plenty of good hockey players engage in fights and some of those would definitely have to be considered staged based on the criteria I’m seeing here.

Posted by godblender on 03/07/13 at 01:56 PM ET