Western Conference - The Race To The Playoffs

We all know the race in the West is tight.  There are four teams out of the Top 8 but within four points of making the playoffs.

Who’s in, who is out in the West?

The full Western Conference standings are below, and you tell me, what teams are in, or what teams are out.

I say the Top 7 as it stands right now will make the playoffs and Minnesota will not make it but Dallas will.

I will do the Eastern Conference tomorrow.

image

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

The day after Christmas, the Ducks were 16 points out of a playoff spot.

Even though they have gone 8-1-1, they have made up only 4 points since then.

It just goes to show you how hard it is to climb in the standings.

Can you say three point games?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 02:16 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

I’d say the top 7 along with Phoenix getting in. They just seem to find a way.

Posted by socalwingnut on 01/30/12 at 02:51 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I don’t think the top 7 will make it as they stand right now. One of the Central teams will drop out IMO, if only because they have to play each other so much. My guess would be the Preds, but any of STL, NSH AND CHI could find themselves on the outside looking in with a bad 10 game stretch (except the Wings, because I mean, come on).

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 01/30/12 at 03:10 PM ET

VooX's avatar

I believe goal differential is a fairly reliable indicator of long-term success, as it is hard to win a lot of games when you are being outscored by your opponents, on average.  Swap Minnesota with Phoenix for this reason and you have my predicted Top 8.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/30/12 at 04:12 PM ET

Primis's avatar

STL has a road-heavy schedule remaining, with a lot of games against Central opponents (which they’ve avoided a lot of so far).  They will be in the mix at the end of the season jockeying for #7 or #8 after a true skid or two.

Minny will miss entirely.

PHX and DAL will compete for 1 remainig spot.  LA may be in that mix too if they continue sucking so much…

Posted by Primis on 01/30/12 at 04:46 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Colorado sneaks in.  Avs/Wings rivalry renewed.  That’d be fun.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 01/30/12 at 06:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Colorado sneaks in.  Avs/Wings rivalry renewed.  That’d be fun.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 01/30/12 at 04:35 PM ET

I actually, seriously, considered them.  Which should tell you just how little regard I have for say CGY.

But, there seem to be too many smoke and mirrors going on there.  They’ve played more games than anyone in the rest of the conference (as many as 4 more than SJ).  They’re somehow 7-0 in Shootouts.  Yet their Goal Differential is -13…  something smells funny there, and I say it’ll be another Lottery for them.

Posted by Primis on 01/30/12 at 11:34 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Calgary comes in 9th, out by one point, last day….where have i heard that before.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 11:59 PM ET

DocF's avatar

By moving Brendan Morrow, Dallas has decided they do not want to be in the playoffs.  He is the character guy that was on a team lacking in character.

That is the reason I think either Minnesota or Phoenix will be the eighth playoff team.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 01/31/12 at 02:45 AM ET