Western Conference Standings

Simple question and I am looking only at the top 8 teams, order doesn't matter at this point... Is this how the top 8 will shake out in the West come playoff time or will a team or teams not currently in the playoffs bump a team or teams below the 8th spot?

Let me know by leaving a comment.

screnshot of standings via TSN

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I keep thinking Nashville will get their shit together and get in there, and simultaneously Minnesota will collapse, but that’s looking less and less likely by the day. I thought Phoenix was a playoff team at the start of the year, not so much anymore.

Posted by Chris M on 03/27/13 at 11:42 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think only Nashville has a realistic shot, but they have Chicago 4 more times in their schedule, plus Vancouver, St. Louis and Detroit twice.  The team on the bubble for me is San Jose.  San Jose is looking to move some contracts.  Murray is gone.  Maybe Boyle and maybe Clowe.  If they deal them, then I think they fall out.  I’ll guess that San Jose does dump salary and does fall out, and is replaced by Nashville.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/27/13 at 11:44 AM ET

I think it is pretty close.  Only, i like Edmonton going on a run down the stretch.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/27/13 at 11:46 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’d like to drive a nail in San Jose’s coffin tonight.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/27/13 at 11:47 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Only, i like Edmonton going on a run down the stretch.

Too young maybe.  And the end of their schedule is ,.

Sun, Apr 21 vs Anaheim

Mon, Apr 22 vs Anaheim

Wed, Apr 24 vs Chicago

Fri, Apr 26 @ Minnesota

Sat, Apr 27 vs Vancouver

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/27/13 at 11:55 AM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I can see both San Jose and St. Louis slipping and missing this year. Taking their places? I’m thinking Nashville and, yes…Columbus.

Posted by BrendonR on 03/27/13 at 11:58 AM ET

It’s impossible to know.  Everything’s too tight.  Literally a 3 or 4 game win/loss streak to end the year could move someone from 7th or 8th to out, or from 10-12th to in.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/27/13 at 11:59 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I want Nashville out. But looking at the standings, I’m sure San Jose, St. Louis and Dallas will all choke on their own dicks and those assholes will make it.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 03/27/13 at 12:01 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m thinkin Nashville and Columbus are gonna replace San Jose and St. Louis. It would make my year if Little Sister misses the dance.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/27/13 at 12:18 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Columbus in, STL out. Maybe NSH, not Columbus. Too early to predict though.

Posted by detroitredwings on 03/27/13 at 12:20 PM ET

I think this is probably it, actually.

San Jose is probably the biggest (though not the only) fall-out risk, but I just don’t think the chasing teams are that good. Dallas and Nashville get outshot most of the time. Columbus is still terrible and should fade. Phoenix by all accounts should be a decent team but they’ve gotten uncharacteristically bad goaltending this year and have a lot of ground to make up. Edmonton just doesn’t have it all together yet.

Anything could happen still and any of those teams could get hot and weasel in, but if I had money to put down I’d probably say the top 8 doesn’t change.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 03/27/13 at 12:33 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I think Columbus is the strongest of 3(NSH, DAL, CLB) due to Bob having a tremendous season, even more so as of late. And if they miss, they will spoil every single team they play between now and the end of the season. It might be a blessing in disguise we have finished with them for the year.

If we do make the playoffs, I wouldnt mind us drawing Vancouver. Yea, its a long trip, but they gotta come here for 2 as well. I like the chances against them this year. I’ll save this for another conversation.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/27/13 at 12:52 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

St. Louis will fall out, as once again we learn that Ken Hitchcock is Billy Martin—he can get a team pulling together playing his strangle-trap for a short while, then the team quits on him when the realize the fun he’s made them suck out of the game.

Columbus will replace them, and become hockey’s premier Ewing Theory example.

Posted by Stevis on 03/27/13 at 12:58 PM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

Nashville will bump St. Louis.  The Sharks will bump themselves allowing Columbus to take up their slack.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 03/27/13 at 01:03 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

I will never count Nashville out, because they always seem to find a way.

I think Edmonton, with all of the hype about being an up and coming tream won’t make it. The Canadian Media gets way too excited about all of the Junior stars in Edmonton, but they just aren’t as good as the hype.

Columbus has been pesky, but there just aren’t enough horses. Todd Richards is not Barry Trotz.

San Jose MAY fall out if they decide to start the re-tooling now. I think they see that their Cup window is closed.

St. Lose may fall out as well, if they remain this inconsistent. Talk about being frustrated with your team! They NEVER seem to put forth a 60 minute effort.

Like HD said, things are so tight, a timely 3 game winning or losing streak will probably occur late and things will be a huge jumble. I think we won’t know any first round match ups until all of the games are done on the last day of the season.

Posted by socalwingnut on 03/27/13 at 01:06 PM ET

St Louis out - playing 1 game under .500 after their 6-1 start. Sub in Columbus. I wouldn’t be surprised if San Jose slipped and Nashville or even Dallas slipped in.

Posted by Moose Moss on 03/27/13 at 01:20 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I really hope Cbus makes it in if only because they got screwed by the lockout harder than most. They lost their all star game they had been banking on to bring people into the arena. A second playoff appearance would be a nice consolation prize.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/27/13 at 01:40 PM ET

Rxb
I believe the announcement had already been made they get the next asg, just like the Wings get the next wc.

Posted by teldar on 03/27/13 at 02:03 PM ET

The dark horse to make the playoffs will probably be CBJ…and that makes them dangerous to the division leaders.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/27/13 at 03:33 PM ET