Weber Plans To Stay In Nashville

from John Glennon of The Tennessean,

In his first public comments since the Predators matched a 14-year offer sheet for Shea Weber, the all-star defenseman expressed enthusiasm for returning to Nashville and said he hopes to finish his career here.

Those comments were in contrast to those of Weber’s agent, who in recent days said Weber wanted to play in Philadelphia — because the Predators were in a “rebuilding” stage and because the Predators didn’t have a track record of signing top free agents.

“I guess that was (agent Jarrett Bousquet’s) feelings,” Weber said. “Like I said, I was never a part of any of that. I didn’t make any statements publicly.

“I love the city of Nashville. I love the fans and my teammates. It’s a very positive thing that the ownership has stepped up and shown they’re going to be a team that’s going to spend to the cap and bring guys in and be a successful team.”...

Because he’d signed the offer sheet in the first place, however, there was some speculation Weber would push for a trade to the Flyers after this coming season. But Weber said he doesn’t envision that scenario occurring.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

DrewBehr's avatar

I’d love for Weber to essentially be Nashville’s Yzerman (you know, minus the whole “class” thing). But I feel that if the club in fact takes a step back this year, and can’t turn itself around in the next couple of years, you wonder if Weber won’t start taking a look at other options.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/25/12 at 09:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

So when will Weber fire his agent for lying to the media on his behalf?

Posted by awould on 07/25/12 at 11:01 PM ET

Yeah he loves it in Nashville so much, his agent said he didn’t want to be there.. He never disputed it, until he had to agree to return per the offer sheet.

Holmgren said that neither Philly nor Weber and his agent thought Poile would match it due to the structure of the deal.  Yep, Weber wanted to be there for life.

Weber says today he wants a no movement clause in his deal, that can be voided in a split second when Weber agrees to it.  Talk is Weber entertained another offer sheet from Vancouver, but the length of the deal wasn’t what he wanted.  Yep, Weber wanted to stay in Nashville forever.

Posted by TheJimPl9 from Nashville on 07/25/12 at 11:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Yup.

And Rick Nash was going to stay in Columbus too.

Whatever, Shea.  Whatever…

Posted by Primis on 07/26/12 at 02:25 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

If I was his teammate, I would thank him for eating up that much cap space all on his own self and making his team that much less flexible with future options. Yay…makes me that much more thankful to be a Red Wings fan where players see the organization as something more than a paycheck. 14 long years of no Stanley Cup will make him a very crank old man.

Posted by The Hurricane on 07/26/12 at 02:29 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Damage control on his part…maybe a little too late.

Posted by TheFreak on 07/26/12 at 10:16 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Feels like a fair deal to me. Just a few short years ago Lidstrom was eating up $7.4M of a much smaller cap. And while Lidstrom is Lidstrom, they were not his peak years as Weber’s deal is.

And in reality, they needed that just to hit the Cap floor. Cap geek lists the Preds at $53.7M cap hit with 21 players signed. And if the CBA continues as is, they’re still slightly short of the $54M floor. If the CBA changes, as is likely, the owners seem to want to shrink the cap gap further along with rollbacks, so NSH may still be short when the dust settles.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/26/12 at 12:02 PM ET