Watching NBC

NEW YORK – April 16, 2012 – Three NHL Stanley Cup Playoff games on NBC this past weekend averaged a 50% increase in overnight ratings compared to last year’s coverage on the network, according to official overnight ratings data released today by The Nielsen Company. The increase includes Sunday’s Flyers-Penguins game on NBC, which posted the best Conference Quarterfinal game in 11 years and the best for any NHL playoff game, excluding the Stanley Cup Final, in a decade.

This past weekend’s three games on NBC – Capitals-Bruins on Saturday, Predators-Red Wings in the early window on Sunday, and Penguins-Flyers in the late window on Sunday – combined for a 1.8 overnight rating, up 50% compared to two games broadcast on the same weekend on NBC last year, which averaged a 1.2 overnight.

PENGUINS-FLYERS: The Flyers 8-4 victory over the intra-state rival Penguins on Sunday registered a 2.3 overnight rating, up 77% compared to last year’s comparable game (Capitals-Rangers; 1.3 overnight) and making it the best overnight rating for a Conference Quarterfinal game in 11 years (4/21/01; ABC regional; 2.5), and the best for any NHL playoff game, excluding the Stanley Cup Final, in a decade (5/18/02; ABC, Avalanche-Red Wings Conference Final; 2.4).

CAPITALS-BRUINS: The Capitals 2-1 double-overtime win over the defending Stanley Cup champion Bruins on Saturday produced a 1.5 overnight rating, up 36% compared to last year’s comparable game (Coyotes-Red Wings; 1.1 overnight).

PREDATORS-RED WINGS
: The Predators 3-2 win over the Red Wings on Sunday generated a 1.5 overnight rating, which is up 36% compared to the NHL regular-season overnight average on NBC, excluding the Winter Classic and Thanksgiving Friday game. There is no network comparison to last year as NBC only broadcast two games the first weekend of the playoffs. This is the first year in NHL history that all playoff games are being shown nationally.

MOMENTUM CONTINUES
: The NBC overnight results for 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs are consistent with ratings increases experienced by the NBC Sports Network. Through two days of the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs (the only national data available at this time), NBC Sports Network’s viewership is up 22% compared to the first two days of last year’s playoffs (600,000 vs. 490,000).

Wednesday’s and Thursday’s combined coverage of the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs on both NBC Sports Network and CNBC had a total audience of 5.37 million viewers, a 31% increase vs. last year, when NBC Sports Network (formerly VERSUS) was the only channel to show games (4.11 million).

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nbc

Comments

well, i guess the NHL feels justified in this horror show of a playoffs they’ve created.

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 03:25 PM ET

horror show of a playoffs they’ve created.

I wouldn’t call it a horror show, there are issues with excesses being taken by some teams. But, to dismiss it this frivolously doesn’t reflect the quality of the games overall. This has been one of the most dramatic playoffs in a long time.

Posted by timbits on 04/16/12 at 03:38 PM ET

Inconsistent penalties do not constitute a horror show.

Posted by hockeyczarina on 04/16/12 at 03:42 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I was sitting here wondering why more people are watching NHL hockey with NBC are their douche-baggery carrying it but then I thought to myself “Self, lots ‘o people are into the WWE and MMA also.”.....

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/16/12 at 03:46 PM ET

Unfortunately too much of the drama is related to violence and controversy.

I don’t know if I agree with this being more dramatic on the ice though.
Its always exciting, and there is always drama.  there is rarely so much to be disgusted about in regards to violence and suspensions.  Were not even through week 1.

And if the ratings of the Pens flyers game was that high for more then the first few minutes, it certainly had little to do with the quality of the game

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 03:48 PM ET

Inconsistent penalties do not constitute a horror show.

its not just inconsistent, but its inconsistent in a way that is encouraging violence.

Im sure I am being slightly biased, as i havent seen any of the Florida New Jersy games, or San jose St. Louis, but i’ve been pretty turned off by what i’ve seen of the Rangers/Sens, Flyers Pens, and Wings Preds series.

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 03:53 PM ET

Horror show? What are you talking about? The only horror is the inconsistency of Brendan Shanahans suspensions. Hagelin getting 3 games with Carkner getting 1 and Phillips getting 0 (for virtually the same hit as Hagelins) is horrifying.

With that said, I would definitely prefer that there were no suspensions at all for these plays. A decade ago there wouldn’t have been. That’s the way I like hockey.

This is what makes playoff hockey so exciting. Drama, frustration, agression and retributions makes the story of a good hockey game. So let them play, look at the crowd, everyone enjoys this type of hockey.

I suggest you watch a game of SEL or KHL playoff hockey - there’s no passion like in NHL hockey.

Posted by xploddan from Stockholm, Sweden on 04/16/12 at 03:55 PM ET

Also… violence is a part of hockey, whether you like it or not. The players know that this is part of the game, and that’s a part of why many of them play the game. Enjoy it or watch a less violent sport.

Posted by xploddan from Stockholm, Sweden on 04/16/12 at 03:58 PM ET

I always thought it was athleticism, talent, competitiveness, scoring, great defense, triple overtime ...

Read the comments here and lots of other places.  Lots of people are ashamed of whats gone on the last week.

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

WOW! I’m glad I read these comments. I guess some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining. I’m enjoying having all of the games on all the NBC affiliated networks. I never dreamed, that without buying some sort of pricey Play Off package, that I would be able to.  Every game, every night. Why would any hockey fan not like that? Since the ratings are up, obviously others agree.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 04/16/12 at 04:00 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Vince Maranto on 04/16/12 at 03:00 PM ET

Because NBC announcers are bush league, drama queens and I can’t emphasize the queen part enough. Now, if you’re muting your tv and listening to some tunes while watching that’s another thing.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/16/12 at 04:03 PM ET

Since the ratings are up, obviously others agree.

The ratings are up because people want to watch hockey and NBC is the only way most people can.

That doesn’t constitute agreement.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/12 at 04:13 PM ET

I havent, i paid for Game Center Live instaed of expanded cable that includes all the NBC affiliates.

But i’m not complaining about NBC or expanded coverage.

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 04:14 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

These games are fun to watch.  That’s it.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 04/16/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

And NBC is doing a damn good job; sure some things could be better, but still, I’m happy with the coverage.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 04/16/12 at 04:19 PM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

I am not happy with the out come of the Pens/Flyers games but they are entertaining. even if you take away all of the BS in game three they have been fun to watch. i was at the game on Friday night and it was end to end excitement. It was game i wish i did not have a rooting interest and could just relax and watch the skill (except for the goalies). no offense to NJ, St louis, nash, Det and other defensive minded teams but the average fan (sometimes hardcore fans) love the offense and the skill,

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 04/16/12 at 04:24 PM ET

If nothing else the games have been compelling and competitive. Not many blowouts, most of the series have been fairly even and the two that are almost decided have the story line of underdogs beating the favorites.

So I can see why the ratings are up. I know that even though I don’t like all of the sh!t that went on over the weekend, I didn’t turn any of it off, so yes I am partly to blame. I also watched the Devils and Panthers games too so I asn’t just looking for the train wrecks.

The announcers don’t bother me, because I’ve come to expect it and the fact that more than a few called Shanaban out on the carpet is a sign of progress.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 04/16/12 at 04:47 PM ET

Vince Maranto - “that without buying some sort of pricey Play Off package, that I would be able to.  Every game, every night.”

I have DirecTV and I don’t buy their pricey Choice package so I don’t get the NBCSN and see less games this year than ever before. I buy Center Ice and this year it doesn’t cover the playoffs because NBCSN has games so I don’t see many of the games. You may ask why don’t I buy the pricey DirecTV pakage and the answer is I would rather spend that money on Center Ice and Showtime channels I watch, than get 75 channels I don’t watch and maybe 3 or 4 in the package that I would watch. As long as NBCSN is in the pricey DirecTV packages I will watch less games. Thank you NHL

Posted by Puckbubba from FL. on 04/16/12 at 05:02 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

Just one more thing…. In my opinion, Doc, Edzo & Pierre are the best national announcing team in any sport. I enjoy when the 3 of them are doing a game. If you hate them, that’s your opinion and that’s fine. Think of what’s out there in the NBA, NFL, and MLB. There’s at least one member of each set of announcers that annoys me. Now, as for Mike Milbury….. that’s another story.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 04/16/12 at 06:38 PM ET

Posted by Vince Maranto on 04/16/12 at 03:00 PM ET

Well I live in Cleveland and the F*cking NBC affiliate here shows Baseball games instead of Hockey. So, yeah, everything is not ok. Oh and Pierre Mcguire, while well informed, is a simpering douche bag and Olczyk can barely contain his homerism for the teams he played for during his career.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/16/12 at 07:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The games were blocked in the Cleveland area in favor of an informercial and a regular season Indians game. Way to go, Bettman!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/12 at 08:48 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Doc, Edzo & Pierre are the best national announcing team in any sport.

Have our standards really fallen that low? Ouch.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/16/12 at 10:41 PM ET