Watch Where You Walk

from Cathal Kelly of the Toronto Star,

This is not a “tradition” in any real sense. A tradition suggests a long-standing habit that has, over time, taken on some greater meaning.

As best anyone can tell, the sanctity of the carpet logo sprang fully formed about 10 years ago and spread through the NHL like a flu at fat camp.

This is not to say there weren’t logos on the carpet before that, but that 10 years ago, someone decided that no one could walk on them any more.

I’ve been to St. Peter’s. I knew enough not to hop the barricade and begin trodding around on top of the altar.

They don’t leave the chalices spread out on the steps, and send a Jesuit out there to scream at you when you get near them.

more You see how that works? Sacred objects that are not meant to be stepped on are rarely placed on the floor.

This is why we don’t celebrate the inventor of the shelf. Because, outside the NHL, we take for granted that all humans can figure this out for themselves.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

Link doesn’t work for me.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/22/13 at 11:24 AM ET

Paul's avatar

My fault and fixed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/22/13 at 11:27 AM ET

Its not worth your read if referencing the star article written by Cathal Kelly, s/he’s a basketball writer talking hockey. The headline starts off with a premise that makes some semblance of sense, but the article is immediately riddled so much other garbage that it is an incoherent mess.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/22/13 at 11:30 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t know where hockey’s tradition comes from, not walking on the logo.. but in the military, we have logos on floors everywhere, just like in capiral buildings and intelligence buildings and for some reason, in the military we don’t disrespect our own logo by walking on it.  I’m inclined to believe it stems from a military tradition.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/22/13 at 12:05 PM ET

I was on the Gore trying to find pictures of the Olympia’s dressing rooms and I came across some things that caught my eye regarding this topic:

Lobby at the Olympia.

Dressing room at the Olympia.

The guy in this pic is inconsequential, but if you look in background, you’ll see the Wings logo roped off at what appears to be a fan access day to the Wings dressing room at the Joe.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/22/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Lobby at the Olympia.

So many memories. All good. Thanks, SYF.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/22/13 at 02:20 PM ET

I guess my point is if it wasn’t a big deal that fans were walking all over the logo back then and the player’s dressing back then did not have the logo on their floors AND that players are skating all over the logo in the middle of the ice during a hockey game, just don’t put the logo at exactly where people are going to walk all over it in the first place.

If the logo’s on the floor, sorry, people are going to walk all over it.  If some interior designer wants to break up the monotony of a monochromatic floor scheme, I’m sure those creative brains can come up with something genius.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/22/13 at 02:30 PM ET

Hi, Kate.  I never had the honor of visiting the Olympia, but I heard and read so much about it that I’m hoping for some tribute to it with the new stadium for the Wings.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/22/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Why do I get the feeling this is a Tortorella tradition from his time with the Lightning? I could be wrong. Either way, if you don’t want someone walking on something, then don’t put it on the floor.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/22/13 at 04:24 PM ET