Washington Capitals Fined $100K For COVID Player Violations

NEW YORK (Jan. 20, 2021) – The National Hockey League announced today that it has fined the Washington Capitals $100,000 for Player violations of the League’s COVID‑19 Protocols which involved social interactions among team members who were in close contact and who were not wearing face coverings.

added 7:07pm,

added 7:52pm, Statement from the Caps and Ovechkin below.

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals and captain Alex Ovechkin have issued the below statements following the NHL’s Jan. 20 announcement:

Statement from the Washington Capitals:

Our training staff has worked extremely hard to create a safe environment for our players and staff to be able to compete this season. We are disappointed by our players’ choice to interact in their hotel room and outside of team approved areas. We accept the NHL's decision and once again will reiterate the COVID-19 Protocols in place to make sure the players are in full compliance moving forward.

Statement from Alex Ovechkin:

I regret my choice to spend time together with my teammates in our hotel room and away from the locker room areas. I will learn from this experience.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

What a joke.  It’s not like they were out among a crowd without a mask.  Just ridiculous.

Posted by SevensForTed on 01/20/21 at 07:57 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I couldn’t have made this up if I tried to.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/20/21 at 08:48 PM ET

It’s not Big Brother.

It’s a league trying to hold it together to
get through this season so that teams don’t
have to face a bunch of postponements.
So players get paid and we all can enjoy some hockey
in spite of a raging pandemic in which the more recent mutations
spreading everywhere are extremely contagious.

Does it seem silly given that players are battling each other
in close quarters on the ice? Yep, I get that. But the has to control
as much as it can control while playing as many games as they can safely.
The alternative is to scrap the season. If they slack, it’s human nature that
bored, frustrated players will keep pushing the limits.

In my own life, I can choose to zip into gym for 20-30 mins tops,
when it’s virtually or entirely empty; wear masks like I mean not;
not go near anyone else there; and clean like crazy.
Or, I can not go to the gym at all for a year. If you have asthma like I do
and want to be able to run long distance races for at least a couple more decades,
you make accommodations to what’s safe.

400,000 people in the US have died so far. Many more still have lingering symptoms which hopefully will disappear in time. The average estimated annual fatalities in the
US from normal influenza is 12,000 - 60,000

I’m grateful for hockey even if it means being pretty uptight about rules.
Better to get through this and be able to laugh about it later.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/20/21 at 09:20 PM ET

Chet's avatar

well said, lefty. we’re all tired of this and surely the players are too, but any slip up can cost a team a week or more of games. that happens often enough, and you don’t have a season. a wife can get it shopping, a kid at day care, now the team goes on the road thinking everyone is negative, and one mistake can infect 4-5 people affiliated with the team instead of 0-1. care and caution are key. these guys get paid a lot of money, and that money is riding on completing this season. there are no excuses for poor discipline if you ask me. if you can be benched or fined for a bad hockey play, this should be treated no differently.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/21/21 at 01:16 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

They’re just doing the late night filings.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/21/21 at 05:37 AM ET

It makes as much sense as driving by yourself with a mask on.

Posted by SevensForTed on 01/21/21 at 07:43 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I’m sorry but this is a joke. I could see if they went out to the strip club, but they hung out in their hotel, really? This is just beyond stupid. I would pay for NHL subscription just to see Ovie’s face if he had to read this statement, picturing it is priceless.

The line of practical common sense safety measures to minimize the spread that the masses can get behind while still functioning has been crossed over, and those who implore adherence to the rules they themselves to do not follow, have lost their creditability.  They talk like this is a serious issue, but are handling this like clowns.

People are tired of this already, and the more stupidity and hypocrisy that comes up the less credible anyone seams.  What worries me is if another strain comes out that has a 90 80 70% survival rate, or some other new crisis, will anyone listen to those crying wolf?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/21/21 at 01:41 PM ET