Wanted: Hockey As Scheduled

from Don Breenan of Off The Posts at the Ottawa Sun,

Don’t you just want the nonsense to end and for them to reach an agreement?

Do you feel sorry for the owners who have made a habit of handing out ridiculous contracts?

Do you empathize with the players, who won the last standoff and are now being asked to take a step back so the game has a better chance of survival?

And if that’s just the way the owners are painting the picture, I don’t care. They’re the bosses. They take the risks. There’s no canvas or brush unless they pay for them. At the end of the day, if they wanted to shut it all down, they could always hire replacement players. The product might suck, but they could do it.

The NHLPA needs somebody to pay the freight, right?

Even saying that, I’ve said too much. I got sucked into the quagmire. I’ve stated an opinion, when this morning, it’s not what I wanted to do. All I know is that the Olympics are finally and thankfully over and I want to start looking forward to NHL training camps.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

Call me crazy, but the last time I checked, the players aren’t the ones who got exactly what they wanted. The Owners won the last standoff.

Yeah, I empathize with the players, but it’s because the owners got everything they wanted, and are now demanding that the PA gives them even more.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 02:38 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

You’d think that because Brennan covers hockey for a living, he’d have an incling of what’s actually going on in the CBA negotiations.

You’d think that, but you’d be wrong.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 08/13/12 at 02:49 PM ET

Do you empathize with the players, who won the last standoff
As in the NHL handed the players their asses and still couldn’t make it work?

They’re the bosses. They take the risks.
Except they don’t want to take the risk because costs are fixed. They can’t have a cap and no revenue sharing. You can’t be a socialist with someone else’s money and a capitalist with your own.

I was fine with the old system that allowed teams to foolishly spend their own money with limited results (and I root for a low revenue team). The myth that parity was brought about due to the new CBA is laughable. It lowered the cost for teams that were already making money hand over fist and increased the cost for teams at the bottom.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/13/12 at 02:49 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They’re the bosses. They take the risks.

Yep. They risk that the guy they modeled their entire franchise around might get a career-ending concussion which will destroy his quality of life forever, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, will make it harder for them to make money without that piece of meat on the ice.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/13/12 at 02:52 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

That’s a pretty euphemistic appraisal of the last CBA.  How anyone who could call that a victory for labor must be reading the CBA backwards.  I wonder if Breenan forgot to attribute that quote to the commissioner.

Also, am I insane or did I read somewhere that the league’s profits went up big time over the last CBA?  Forgive me for being political, but I can’t wait until we step out of this nightmare world where executives and proprietors make increasing profits all while telling labor that it costs too much to pay them their fair share.

The NHL owners can’t expect the players to play for a pittance compared to their peers in the other major sports leagues.  I think part of the NHL’s reputation as a second/third tier sport in the US can be attributed to player salary… just in case you’re reading Gary.

If the owners don’t like losing profits on teams that don’t make money, then its time to start punishing owners who mismanage their product.  The players shouldn’t be expected to make up the difference.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/13/12 at 03:35 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m faced with that problem right now. I work for a guy who promised me health coverage when I was hired. Not only have I not seen that health coverage, I also haven’t reveived a raise on seven years.

When I return to work (I’ve been out for about three months because of eye surgery), me and the owners are gonna have a nice chat about the cost of living, what was promised to me when I was hired, and my expectations. If I’m really as valuable to the company as they so claim, they’ll bend or I’ll walk.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/13/12 at 01:35 PM ET

This ^^^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/13/12 at 04:44 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 02:15 PM ET

Its fuched up that an employer can promise that sort of thing and withhold it.  It should be illegal to make illusory promises to applicants.  Thats just unfair anyway you wanna slice it.

I wish you good luck in your negotiations, just remember that its an employer’s market right now when it comes to labor my friend.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/13/12 at 05:14 PM ET

Didn’t see it posted, but Brooks has a brilliant column today. Usually I hate the guy, but he’s been all over the owners this summer, rightly so. And, instead of crucifying Bettman, who merely does the job he’s paid to do, Brooks actually blames the proper parties (Jacobs, Rogers, Leipold, the owners).

Posted by larry from pitt on 08/13/12 at 05:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

It’s from Sunday Larry, George posted it early Sunday morning.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/13/12 at 05:48 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/13/12 at 03:14 PM ET

Oh, I already have that covered. I’m searching for new work (and have been since the vision returned in my right eye. Left eye, not so much. FWIW, I have Diabetic Retinopathy).

If things appear to work out with any of the other companies I interview with, I’m laying my list of demands and a letter of resignation on the bosses table, and saying that if he doesn’t want to do what’s on the right side of the table, he can take what’s on the left and I’ll go somewhere that I’m more appreciated.

Of course, with these guys, I’d much rather do my impression of the ‘I quit’ scene from “Half Baked”.

Thanks for the well wishes, and as always, LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 06:51 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thanks for the well wishes, and as always, LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 04:51 PM ET

I think that’s every worker’s dream!

You bet my friend!  LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/13/12 at 10:25 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Fvck you, fvck you, fvck you, you cool, fvck you.  I’m out.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 08/14/12 at 12:59 AM ET