Vigneault On The Torres Hit

from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail,

Vigneault doesn’t think Torres needs to change much, noting that: “A physical dimension is part of his game. Obviously, there are some adjustments and some education that all players have to go through, but I look at that hit and I compare that hit to (Ryan) Getzlaf on (Dan Hamhuis). I compare that hit to (Alexei) Ponikarovsky on Hamhuis - same type of hit - and Getzlaf didn’t even get a penalty on his.

“I mean, hockey’s a collision sport. There’s a lot of intensity. You’re always walking that fine line.”

Vigneault said he didn’t think Torres hit even warranted a penalty, “but at the end of the day, that’s me.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alain+vigneault

Comments

Yeah, Seabrook, what a pussy for trying to find the puck at his feet and play it.

This isn’t MMA.  There are rules, and there should be decency involved.  Torres gives a big, fat middle finger to the rules, and he’s demonstrated over the years that he doesn’t give a damn about any of his peers.

I would never wish retribution or ill happenings upon anyone in this league, but Torres is one guy who gives me pause.  You wonder if he took a blow that sent his brain rattling around his head, would he ever reconsider this reckless way he plays the game?  Maybe not, because there seems to be nothing but rocks inside his head.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 04/18/11 at 01:25 AM ET

And when I say this isn’t MMA, I mean this is a sport where the primary objective is to outscore your opponents, not to beat the living crap out of them.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 04/18/11 at 01:27 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

it was a shoulder to chest hit,

Really?  Yep, you’re a moron alright.  If Seabrook did that to Daniel Sedin you’d be in tears.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/18/11 at 01:43 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

why are you stealing my comments skankhound?  Real original there buddy considering I gave you the crybaby routine a whopping 5 minutes ago…  I love havin’ you around to verbally abuse..

“You guys are a bunch of Homers!!! I believe everything Vignelugualtu says!”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 01:43 AM ET

Getzlaf hit Hamhuis in the left arm, which isn’t illegal. Torres, once again, hit some guy in the jaw (which is illegal) when he had about a dozen other options. Vigneault and Canuck fans need anatomy lessons if they think anything else.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 01:44 AM ET

It’s funny that Canuck fans have been crying for two years about Malkin bowling over Willie Mitchell in a routine puck battle, but the minute their guy starts headhunting, any notion that he should be suspended is suddenly ‘pansification.’

No wonder it took so long for everyone to catch on to how dirty Matt Cooke is; the people in Vancouver just thought all those knees and elbows were normal, I guess.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 01:52 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

and you complained about my sense of humor?  That was pretty bad.. I don’t even really feel like trying to respond because it might give that statement an ounce of credit and it’s really more than it deserves… this isn’t right..

Tell you what.. go hit the bowl.. relax your brain muscles for a second and give it another shot.. I’ll come back in a little bit and check up on you..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 01:53 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I shouldn’t even have to tell you stevie that that wasn’t for you.. but in case I do.. it wasn’t for you wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 01:54 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

If you’re such a media fan wtf are you doing being “OG” on a blogger site.. I think you may be the first person I’ve ever heard say “I think I’m going to believe the media because they watch the sport nightly and talk about it”

Everything just made sense about you..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 02:00 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

btw I never thought I’d see the day I’d be arguing with a 14 year old and not be playing Call of Duty

I may have hit a new low tonight.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 02:01 AM ET

The media says clean hit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you morons say dirty.

I think I will stick with the men who know the sport and report it nightly over some Wings fans who are sad that their aged team, like the cheddar I offer, are going nowhere this season.

Someone didn’t watch the versus feed, the CBC feed or the NHL network, I take it. Thank God the 3 marbles rolling around in Kypreos’s brain were still there to set the record straight.

Didn’t think so.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 02:04 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’ll just take him to the one me and your mom go too.. it’s pretty flea bag but it does the trick

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 02:09 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

uh oh, I hope I don’t get a 5 paragraph response for that one.. hasn’t posted in a while.. I might have made him cry.. :\

I was just kickin’ lil’ guy.. I take her to a real nice place.. even buy her dinner now and again and I never leave it on the dresser, I always hand it to her.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 02:16 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Good to see you don’t have delicate sensibilities.  I hate you, but that’s because you’re not a Wing fan and as much shit as I give you.. if we all had the same opinion here, this place would suck…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 02:43 AM ET

Can we all agree that this was just as bad as the Abdelkader flying elbow (that’s elbow not shoulder, folks) to Seabrook.  Let’s throw the book at Torres - whatever the league gave Abdelkader - same goes to Torres.

Posted by CallMeJerry on 04/18/11 at 04:08 AM ET

Let me guess - you’re new to watching the NHL playoffs.

Posted by CallMeJerry on 04/18/11 at 04:11 AM ET

Chet's avatar

jerry, the hits are nowhere near similar. that said, abbie did lead w his elbow and collect some melon. if he’d gotten a game, it wouldn’t have surprised me.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 05:09 AM ET

Chet's avatar

people keep forgetting that the rule, so far as i know, is that blindside hits to the head are now illegal. like it or not, that’s the NHL in the year 2011. i’m a fan of neither team and this impartial, and so believe that under that rule there’s a good chance torres sits out some games. again, right or wrong, like it or don’t…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 05:13 AM ET

Chet's avatar

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

not much debate. he’s not looking, he’s hit in the head. homerism aside since there is none, looks like a prob for RT and the nucks.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 05:16 AM ET

Here’s the NHL video of Rule 48.  Watch at 2:54.

<object width=“640” height=“390”><param name=“movie” value=“http://www.youtube.com/v/J1kDdODSZf0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3”></param></param></param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/J1kDdODSZf0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowScriptAccess=“always” width=“640” height=“390”></embed></object>

Posted by CallMeJerry on 04/18/11 at 05:30 AM ET

Woops - try this

Posted by CallMeJerry on 04/18/11 at 05:31 AM ET

Chet's avatar

ok. what’s your point?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 05:35 AM ET

Chet's avatar

and just so we’re clear, my view is the NHL has already stepped away from the standard in these videos. again, like it or not.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 05:40 AM ET

Chet's avatar

one last and i’m out: the puck is cruising right through along the boards, but seabrook never touches it and really does get popped before he has a chance to.

then again, isn’t that the point of hockey?

this is a hit wherein it is a matter of probably less than 1 second passing as two players collide and the puck rolls through.

so, with as much fairness as i can muster:

why torres should be suspended:
- simple. guy not looking, torres collects his head. puck close but ends up not playable.

why torres should not be suspended:
- simple. guy not looking, torres collects his head, BUT the puck is nearby so it’s what we all now call a “hockey play;”
- seabrook is reaching;
- that video shows similar plays that are supposedly OK (kudos jerry).

in reality, the questionable part of the rule is what does “lateral” mean. does it mean anything not head on, such as kronwall on havlat a few seasons back? that one was pretty much straight on w/ havlat having his head down, if i recall, and when he got rocked, everybody except chicago loved it. this one is tough, because seabrook is clearly not protecting himself, it does come from the side, and thus, it looks terrible.

oh, also, torres is in his first game back from a similar suspension. is he a marked man? i still think it costs him more suspension time given this climate, but i’ve come around to at least seeing the point of the no-suspension crowd. whaddya know…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/18/11 at 06:08 AM ET

Really not sure about this play. On the one hand, it was a hit to the head, and if it had been, say, Pisani doing that to Edler, then I’d want the guy banned for life. On the other hand, it is the playoffs, and I’d rather have Raffi playing hard and sometimes going over the line than backing off - and the fact that it’s against the Blackhawks mean some of my sensibilities go out of the window.

But I reckon Torres should sit out the rest of the series - a 1 game ban seems fair.

Posted by fcjbencard on 04/18/11 at 07:37 AM ET

Is this what we now call a hockey play?  Seems, by your description, that this is exactly the type of play they’re trying to get rid of and are saying is NOT a “hockey play” anymore.

Posted by Garth on 04/18/11 at 10:17 AM ET

I think you’re absolutely right.  Look at Trevor Gillies, the hit he gave Clutterbuck in his first game back from suspension wasn’t even as bad as the hit Clutterbuck delivered, the one that Gillies was responding too.

AND this was the second questionable hit that Torres made in the game.

I’d be shocked if he didn’t get two games, at least.  Or, I would be shocked if this wasn’t the NHL.

Posted by Garth on 04/18/11 at 10:22 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

3:55 to 4:05 Legal hit

No suspension whatsover, unless of course the NHL wants to backtrack on what they claim is a legal hit.

Did you listen to the part where it says “a defenseman traveling around the net with the puck

Seabrook was not in possession of the puck.  The hits are not the same.  There is a very important distinction.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 11:16 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

what the hell should the player do that is already coming full steam at you?

He should go for the puck.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 11:17 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Your so blatantly retarded it’s hilarious

LOL.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 12:17 PM ET

leave the hockey discussion for the serious hockey fans and Canadians here

Don’t bring nationalism into it, shit-head.  It’s very apparent that the only thing you like about hockey is when one idiot attempts to injure a skilled player, so why don’t your take your shit elsewhere instead of being a useless troll?

Posted by Garth on 04/18/11 at 01:18 PM ET

not elbows to the head, like Abdelkader did to Seabrook.

Yet you’re defending Torres.  At least your not an inconsistent retard.

Oh shit…right…nevermind…

Posted by Garth on 04/18/11 at 01:55 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I like hard hitting shitstain

That may be the best thing you’ve ever admitted to.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’ve known parrots with better conversation skills.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Not a surprise, I figured you hang out in trees.

Posted by PuckHound61 from Speckville USA on 04/18/11 at 01:13 PM ET

Whatever’s farthest from the gutter.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

its ok, you have wings coat tails you can ride, maybe that will make you feel a little better

It feels great.  Those coattails are long and storied.

And Roberto Luongo has never tripped over them and brought my entire team down.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s clever.

So let’s recap the people you hate:

Women
Homosexuals
Children
Kansans
Intelligent people

Want to call me the “N” word while we’re at it and go for the complete package?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

your welcome

LOL

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:38 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Need me to read you a story?

I would, but based on what I’ve read from you on here, I have a feeling that it would take you forever to sound out the words and I’d get bored.

That little symbol, daddy?  That’s an apostrophe.  No, it doesn’t make a sound daddy.

Daddy, why are you sweating while reading and what’s with that little vein popping out on your forehead?

Let me help you, daddy.  That word is “Caveman.”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:49 PM ET