Video- You Make The Call

No audio in the video and probably a good thing, since it won’t sway you one way or the other.

All I can say is one fan base is not happy right now.

My opinion- how about a non-call?

added 9:27pm, Replaced the removed video with one of much poorer quality.

update 9:40pm, A new video, at this rate, I will be here all night.

Chris Botta of Fanhouse has some reaction to the call.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+callahan, sidney+crosby

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So how can you point to this particular one and cry about a league wide conspiracy to give the Penguins easy wins?

I’m not saying there is a league-wide conspiracy among the front office and the refs to hand the Penguins easy victories, because I don’t believe there is one, but tell the truth here.  If you wanted to run a league-wide conspiracy to hand one team easy victories through double-standard refereeing, would you do it by telling the refs to call every game well except for the games that involve the target of your favoritism?

Also, I’m pretty sure the argument about how this “particular one” thing doesn’t prove anything is why Chris Pronger is still in the league.  Oh yeah, this particular one elbow he threw at the back of a guy’s head doesn’t prove he’s prone to dirty hits.  It’s one isolated incident, right?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/30/10 at 11:23 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 11/29/10 at 10:10 PM ET

Because they pay the refs and Gary Bettman a lot of cash for things to go that way.

Pretty obvious, isn’t it?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 11/29/10 at 10:14 PM ET

No. Both players deserved 2 minutes there, yet Crosby gets away with it not because he’s Gary’s favorite, but because he’s a star player. Bollocks, again, from the NHL.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/30/10 at 11:24 AM ET

I’m sorry JJ, I didn’t mean YOU were saying that, I meant you as in people out there (which is why the next sentence was because thats exactly what some people are trying to do). I understand you’re a level headed guy, I was just answering to your comment.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 11/30/10 at 11:26 AM ET

madhatter's avatar

Callahan put his left arm out trying to slow Crosby down, and Crosby seemed to be trying to cut across him. Crosby’s the strongest guy on his feet I’ve seen since a prime Jagr.

Posted by madhatter on 11/30/10 at 11:28 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by madhatter on 11/30/10 at 09:28 AM ET

It’s 9:30am here and already I have a tough time believing I’ll read something dumber today.

He kicks Callahan’s skate out.  It’s that cut and dry.  There’s a distinct kicking motion with Crosby’s right foot.  Wow, what a “strong” play.

He’s not really *that* strong, he just trips guys up and gets away with it because refs are afraid to whistle him..  I’m not going so far as to say the league has anything to do with it, but refs are genuinely afraid to call the guy for anything.  If they weren’t, he’d have probably double the PIMs he gets, at least.  Or he’d change his play.

Posted by Primis on 11/30/10 at 11:41 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Was it a slewfoot by Crosby? Yes. Was it an intentional dirty play? Perhaps. Is Crosby a dirty player? Not in my opinion.

So I practically agree with Mike Johnson’s evaluation.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 11/30/10 at 01:06 PM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

Mike Johnson is right. Maybe a penalty but for Dubinsky to imply that is how Crosby plays is completely off the mark

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 11/30/10 at 05:12 PM ET

madhatter's avatar

Holy cow, now that I look at it again, you’re absolutely right! It’s so obvious! Previously when I watched the video, I saw Crosby’s toe hit the back left of Callahan’s skate while his eyes were somewhere else looking at the play. But I’ll take your word for it that it’s cut and dried… who am I to argue when you can read Crosby’s mind? Thanks bud, you’re the best.

Anyway, my reference to Crosby being strong on his feet had to do with Callahan’s ineffective attempt to slow Crosby down with his arm, not Crosby’s “distinct kicking motion”. I guess if your mind reading skills were 100% you would have known I meant the comment as a general compliment to Crosby’s strength on his feet, not just this play in particular.

Did Crosby’s skate hit Callahan’s? Sure. Did he do it on purpose? I can’t read minds. But I could see Callahan use his left arm come across Crosby’s right hip to slow him down. Isn’t that interference…. cut and dried?

Posted by madhatter on 11/30/10 at 05:27 PM ET