Video- You Make The Call

No audio in the video and probably a good thing, since it won’t sway you one way or the other.

All I can say is one fan base is not happy right now.

My opinion- how about a non-call?

added 9:27pm, Replaced the removed video with one of much poorer quality.

update 9:40pm, A new video, at this rate, I will be here all night.

Chris Botta of Fanhouse has some reaction to the call.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+callahan, sidney+crosby

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

SK77's avatar

Living in Brooklyn, and having just returned from Detroit, I feel justified in opining that the fan base not happy with this is that of the ...

Detroit Red Wings.

Duh.

Posted by SK77 on 11/29/10 at 11:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

They could be, but not the team I meant.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/10 at 11:18 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Video removed.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/29/10 at 11:23 PM ET

Greg's avatar

How about the fan base of the team the Pens are playing?  Wasn’t a trick question was it…it doesn’t look good, I’ll give you that.  But its already a bigger story than it needs to be.  Also, where were all the vids of last weeks game vs the Panthers when Booth got Sid with a slew foot going into the boards at the final whistle.  That’s just as, if not more dangerous I’d think?

Obviously its news, and I’m not saying don’t post it, but I’ve already seen it on practically every intermission report from most games already.  I just didn’t think it was as bad as that, but maybe that’s my black and gold glasses…

Posted by Greg on 11/29/10 at 11:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Greg, did you see my thought on it, how about a non-call.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/10 at 11:25 PM ET

I got a, “The video has been removed by the user,” message on my screen.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 11/29/10 at 11:28 PM ET

Nevermind.  Thanks, Paul.

Dangerous play.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 11/29/10 at 11:30 PM ET

Greg's avatar

Yeah Paul, sorry I did, I didn’t know what you meant by that though?  You didn’t think it was a penalty right?

Posted by Greg on 11/29/10 at 11:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Greg, I would have rather seen a no call or take both players off, one or both for interference or one for tripping and the other for interference.

For those calling it a slew foot, I don’t really buy into that.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/10 at 11:35 PM ET

Greg's avatar

Well said Paul, I’d agree with that…looked like a fight for the puck, players battling, and ones pushing, well the other is pulling almost.

Posted by Greg on 11/29/10 at 11:40 PM ET

I didn’t even know this had happened until I started looking online.  Steigy was too busy talking about how quiet MSG was and Errey couldn’t get over the fact that Boyle is 6ft 7.

Anyway, I can’t really tell with the video, though I can tell their legs get tangled.  Rangers fans/players are always complaining though.  I see Dubinsky has commented once again how dirty/what a whiner Crosby is.  I’d like to hear Rangers fans thoughts on the Avery fight where he continued to punch Kennedy while he was on the ice, or the fact that Crosby got called for Avery attempting a hit and falling down.

One stat that will shock the conspiracy theorists is that while the Pens are currently tied for the league in powerplay opportunities, they also are 2nd in the league in taking minor penalties.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 11/29/10 at 11:43 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I have to disagree Paul. Just because he didn’t connect fully doesn’t make it any less of a slewfoot. Rosby clearly brings his right skate up and attempts to take out Callahan’s left skate while he’s shoving him down to the ice. He just didn’t get his skate wrapped around Callahan’s ankle, it ended up being more of a kick to the back to Callahan’s skate.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 11/29/10 at 11:46 PM ET

After seeing the new video, I agree with you Paul.  They should have just taken both of them off.  I’d rather see that than a no call, just for consistency sake.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 11/29/10 at 11:46 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Poor little Brandon Dubinsky.

I’m sure he’ll be a hero to everybody who isn’t a Pens fan, though, for his comments there.

Didn’t look like a slewfoot to me…just a position battle gone awry.  Gotta be a no call on both sides, though.  Pens got a gift PP on that one.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/29/10 at 11:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Alzy, we all have are opinions and no problem with you disagreeing.  I always looked at a slew-foot as using a backwards motion and applying leverage to the player.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/10 at 11:48 PM ET

Tony's avatar

The first couple of times I saw it, I said it was a clear slewfoot, and if anyone follows me on Twitter saw that….

But the more I watch it, Crosby’s skate comes from the side to knock Callahan off balance, soon followed by Crosby then pushing him down….

Not to mention that it was Interference on Callahan initially….

Now what the textbook definition of slewfoot is in relation to this play, I honestly don’t know….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 11/29/10 at 11:58 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

A take-down, yes, and worthy of a tripping penalty. But I don’t quite call that a slew-foot. He didn’t appear to get leverage with his leg or stick or anything. Just plain out muscled the guy.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/29/10 at 11:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

But why did the Pens get said gift replay?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/30/10 at 12:10 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 11/29/10 at 10:10 PM ET

Because they pay the refs and Gary Bettman a lot of cash for things to go that way.

Pretty obvious, isn’t it?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/30/10 at 12:14 AM ET

Greg's avatar

Tony, what’s your twitter name?

Posted by Greg on 11/30/10 at 12:14 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

it didn’t look intentional at all.

now should a slew-foot be in the “accidental is still a penalty” category like high sticking, etc?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/30/10 at 12:15 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Shocker, talking heads on NHL network find a way to spin the story.

Even if I wasn’t a wings fan, I am really sick of the lovefest heaped upon this guy.

I have XM radio, and I dare you to listen for more than 1/2 hr without a promo of one of his goals during the commercials. Same goes for the NHL network.

Funny, we never get to see the replays of him punching a guy in the nut sack, or cross-checking zetterberg after the game is over.

The NHL has hitched it’s wagon to this guy and come hell or high water it’s gonna promote him, and woe is the announcer or talking head who dares suggest he was wrong with the: slew foot, punch to the balls, multi cross-checks after the buzzer.

sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/30/10 at 12:17 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Tony, what’s your twitter name?

Posted by Greg on 11/29/10 at 10:14 PM ET

Here’s the rule….

Rule 52 - Slew-footing

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.

52.3 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for slew-footing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 11/30/10 at 12:18 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

NHL on the Fly called this a slew foot and THEY pointed out that Crosby slew footed two players in this game, neither called. It seems that this backs up Tortorella’s claim that there are different standards of play for different teams. It’s sad and makes the league look bad, especially coming from the so-called face of the league.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/30/10 at 12:22 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

thanks for posting that, Tony.

so my question remains - does slew-footing fall under the “players must be in control at all times” rule?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/30/10 at 12:33 AM ET

There were plenty of bad calls and non-calls that benefited the Rangers as well. The Engelland call in the 3rd was ridiculous, Crosby’s tripping penalty in the 3rd was a joke, and as for non calls go, how about the numerous runs Avery and Prust were taking at players the entire night?

The only this going on here is that the Penguins didn’t go whining to the media like Dubinsky and the Rangers seem to after every game.

And as for it being a slew foot or not, no way. There was no leg action going on, he just pushed him over.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 11/30/10 at 12:34 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

his right foot clearly hit the back of the Ranger’s foot.  but it was glancing contact and I think just incidental.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/30/10 at 12:50 AM ET

Tony's avatar

“How many penalty minutes do I have this year, if I’m that dirty?,” said Crosby, who has 15 penalty minutes this season. “I mean, please. Show me all those dirty plays. It’s a battle and he falls. I think Dubi has done his fair share of things out there that are questionable. I guess he’s talking again. But I’m not surprised.

“It’s a battle (with Callahan),” Crosby added. “He’s holding me going up ice and I’m trying to push him off. Is it that calculated? I’m trying to get to the net. I’m not worried about that kind of thing. If I tripped him, I tripped him. Am I dirty hockey player? C’mon. I think Dubi is smarter than that.”

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 11/30/10 at 12:54 AM ET

GoPens's avatar

@ R & B

You’re on a roll. So first off, it seems like you’re saying whenever the NHL Network (and by implication, the NHL) says anything it must be true. I doubt that’s the case, and I’m sure you do too. But then you go on to say this proves there are different standards for different teams. Really? This play during this game on this night (out of the other thousands of games played) PROVES beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a major bias in the league and it’s out to get one of its highest grossing teams in a major American market (an original six team, I might add)? If the league is purporting to establish different standards for different teams, why would it let its own news network call itself out?

I think it’s about time to leave the conspiracy theories behind and accept the fact that refs make mistakes, and they go both ways, but more importantly, they will even out at the end of the year. Since they don’t matter in the long-run, why waste time talking about it?

Posted by GoPens on 11/30/10 at 01:00 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Hahaha what IS clear, is that Johnson calls him CINDY at 1:10
Epic.

Posted by The Hurricane on 11/30/10 at 01:06 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

It’s just a stupid play by ‘rosby.  He knows better but it’s not going to help anyone like him more outside of Pitt-PA when he gets away with crap like that.  Not a huge deal but just a stupid play.  I’d expect a Wing to get a penalty for that type of play.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/30/10 at 01:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

We waste time talking about it because the guys in the stripes affect the outcomes of individual games to such a degree that it affects standings, and occasionally the outcome of the actual championship. It’s not far-fetched when the VP in charge of discipline is on record in writing being partial and playing favorites that the NYC office affects outcomes either intentionally or not. It happened in basketball, there’s no reason it couldn’t happen in hockey.

I agree with Sully 100%. This is less the Sid of the hat trick and 4 wins in a week and more the punching the guy in the nads from behind from a couple seasons ago.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/30/10 at 01:30 AM ET

I don’t think Crosby intended to trip him,  but I don’t know if intent matters, I also don’t know if it was really a slew foot…

I do think that Crosby is kind of a dirty player, and he does get away with a lot.  But, I don’t think he necessarily got away with anything here…

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 11/30/10 at 02:24 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I like the few Penguins fans here (not all of them) who want to talk about other pieces of refereeing in this game to avoid the subject of this while there are a few Wings fans around giving him the benefit of the doubt for what was potentially a dangerous play, but not an intentionally dirty one.

“How many penalty minutes do I have this year, if I’m that dirty?,” said Crosby

Well, at least it’s not a vanilla answer.  It’s dubious logic, but it’s not a boring thing to say…  Gotta give Crosby credit for that.

Meh, this is all much ado about diddly shit.  Crosby should have gotten a tripping call for taking the guy down, whether or not he initiated contact.  It’s not a slew-foot or worthy of anything more than two minutes.  I don’t know precisely what Crosby is supposed to be doing with his right foot here to keep himself off his own ass without having to grab Callahan and yank him down.  His options were threefold:

1. get his skate back under him and get called a slew-footer.
2. Yank Callahan down (despite Callahan initiating contact), get a holding penalty.
3. Fall down, get called a diver.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/30/10 at 02:47 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I can’t tell if Crosby kicked Callahan hard enough to knock him off-balance or if Callahan was simply out muscled.

The first angle looks incriminating at first, but Callahan definitely didn’t get his left foot taken out from under him.
Screenshot
Callahan is in the process of getting shoved to the ice in this frame.  His left skate is still on the ground, and he’s in no danger of tripping over Crosby’s skate.

From the second angle it definitely looks like Crosby got a piece of Callahan’s left foot, the timing is just too close to tell if it had anything to do with him falling down.

Also, Dubinsky needs to shut up.  “that type of player” is the last thing he should be saying to the press, especially after a loss.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 11/30/10 at 03:01 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Darn it now I need to go and dig in the closet for my tin-foil hat…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 11/30/10 at 03:41 AM ET

Darn it now I need to go and dig in the closet for my tin-foil hat…

You aren’t a Red Wing fan if you weren’t issued a lifetime supply!

Posted by timbits on 11/30/10 at 03:56 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Looks like a slew foot, but Callahan was the one coming back hard on Crosby, you can’t expect Crosby to just roll over. Not saying a slew foot is the “right” thing to do, but I don’t think that was the intention, i think he just had a guy hanging off his back and made a move to knock him down and get free.

I agree with Paul, no-call or call both players.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/30/10 at 10:34 AM ET

I think our Point, JJ, is that the game, and the entire season, has been full of terrible calls. So how can you point to this particular one and cry about a league wide conspiracy to give the Penguins easy wins? Because thats exactly what some people are trying to do, and its just idiotic.

And still, I did give my opinion on the play. Callahan initiated contact away from the play and got put on his ass. There was no foot sweeping/tripping movement, just a slight bit of foot contact. Don’t blame Sid for pushing a guy who’s interfering with him away.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 11/30/10 at 11:09 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Here’s the biggest problem with the defense of Crosby:

He’s slew-footed before, and got caught on camera doing it.

With that in ind, it’s awfully hard to defend him.  Of course, Pens fans will anyways… he could kill babies for sport and pens fans would defend him.

Posted by Primis on 11/30/10 at 11:09 AM ET