Video- Shoulder-To-Shoulder Or Shoulder To Head Hit?

via Josh Cooper of the Tennessean,

With his arms folded in the Nashville locker room, Jordin Tootoo wore a look of confusion after Nashville’s 3-0 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Thursday.

With 6:49 remaining in the third period, Tootoo was given a five-minute game misconduct major for charging at defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo. Tootoo lowered his shoulder and exploded into Colaiacovo behind the net. The Blues player fell to the ice, giving St. Louis a power play that it converted into its final goal.

Colaiacovo did not return. Tootoo defended the hit.

“Obviously, my understanding is it was a blow to the head,” Tootoo said. “You look at the replay, shoulder-on-shoulder, it’s a tough league to play in — keep your head up out there. I think the bottom line, when you hit someone hard, the refs are going to take a second look at it. I’m speechless.”...

“I saw a shoulder-to-shoulder check, and he didn’t leave his feet, so I’m a little bit confused on that,” Trotz said.

Watch the hit below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: carlo+colaiacovo, jordin+tootoo

Comments

Nathan's avatar

What’s so confusing to the Preds about this? It was a blind side hit. That’s what the new rule is about. Pretty clear to me. The Blues’ player was focused on fending off the checker from behind—he can’t simultaneously have his eyes looking both directions… hence, blind side hit.

There was nothing particularly gnarly about the hit, I don’t think it deserves supplemental discipline. But the rule says a play like this is a major penalty with a misconduct, so what could they possibly complain about?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/29/10 at 09:17 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the chiropractor on 10/29/10 at 08:17 AM ET

Yes well… when your IQ is single-digit like Tootoo’s…

As they talked about repeatedly on the Wings’ telecast last night, it wasn’t a “North-South” hit.

Posted by Primis on 10/29/10 at 09:41 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Well that’s just normal style of play for Tootie. At least he’s been “tagged” with this kind of hit now.

Posted by TheFreak on 10/29/10 at 11:11 AM ET

Shawn's avatar

The rule isn’t just about blindside hits, It’s about blindside hits to the head which this was not. This was a shoulder to shoulder hit that shouldn’t have been a penalty at all.

Posted by Shawn on 10/29/10 at 11:34 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The hit doesn’t actually have to land on the head to run afoul of Rule 48:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.

All the NHL has to decide is whether Tootoo targeted Colaiacovo’s head when he charged into him.  I have a feeling Tootoo’s history is going to work against him here.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/10 at 11:40 AM ET

Shawn's avatar

Seriously… On a shoulder to shoulder hit, there is no way a guy should get a game misconduct because an official “thought” he was targeting the head. If Tootoo was targeting the head, he would have hit it.

Posted by Shawn on 10/29/10 at 11:46 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

This was a shoulder to shoulder hit

Didn’t look like head contact to me either. But I’m OK with the penalty on principle. Call it roughing instead, I don’t care. It was still a blind hit on a player already engaged with another, and that’s dangerous too. The whole intent of the rule is to protect the players who aren’t in a position to do so themselves.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/29/10 at 11:48 AM ET

Performance Parts's avatar

I agree with Nate, I’m OK with a penalty on principle call as well. It’s something that has to be called based on the situation. The referee saw a blindside hit which immediately has to trigger concern for the Ref.

Right call was made, NHL can watch the replay and determine discipline or no discipline from there.

Posted by Performance Parts on 10/29/10 at 11:59 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I don’t agree giving a game for that.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/29/10 at 01:02 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

If there’s a video with a better angle I’d love to see it, because this video is inconclusive—I think you can watch that clip and just as fairly determine that his shoulder hit his head.

Regardless, as was pointed out, this still meets the criteria of the new rule. The ref just had to interpret the play as targeting the head to make the call as he did. If you disagree with the verbiage of the rule, fair play, but the ref made a decent judgment on a fast blind side play, so I have a hard time blaming him.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/29/10 at 01:05 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’d be okay with them giving him a game just so as not to hear those annoying whistles.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/29/10 at 01:44 PM ET

The fault should fall partly on Carlo, and the rest on his team. First, anytime a d-man gets blown up behind the net he should have kept his head up. It wasn’t necessary for him to go behind the net. Second, the backcheckers neglected Tootoo. Therefore, they aren’t able to give Carlo a heads up.
Misconduct - fine. But there probably won’t be a suspension.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 10/29/10 at 02:17 PM ET