Video- Savard Takes A Scary Hit

from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,

Savard said that he didn’t have any headaches after the game, but he used concussion buzz words like “bell rung” and “dazed” after the game was over to describe his feelings after the hit. He assured that he felt “okay” after the game, and hoped that feeling would continue as the adrenaline peeled away in the hours following the loss.

“All I want to do, is make sure I gather my thoughts, you know, and everything came back together … fine,” said Savard. “I’ll monitor it and watch the rest of the day here, see how I feel a little bit … I was a little bit shaken up.”

more and watch the hit…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: deryk+engelland, marc+savard

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

Rule 48. Gettin’ popular I guess, street cred?

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/16/11 at 01:05 PM ET

Rule 48 doesn’t say ‘a major penalty shall be assessed when any player is hit hard’, which is all that happened here.

Have to be honest, I was afraid Savard’s career was going to be over after this hit.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/16/11 at 01:31 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Deryk Engelland is just a beast. Good, clean hit.

Posted by cs6687 on 01/16/11 at 02:27 PM ET

Deryk Engelland is just a beast. Good, clean hit

Except for the slash and the elbows to the head.

Posted by timbits on 01/16/11 at 02:40 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

hows that work, the hit def originated shoulder to shoulder and the contact to the head was incidental. What’s the rule on that? penalty or not, according to the rulebook? and not being sarcastic, i honestly don’t know so.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/16/11 at 04:52 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

it looked like a clear headshot to me.  All i see is him crushing his head with his arms into the board.  How is that shoulder to shoulder

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 01/16/11 at 05:04 PM ET

Not that this absolves Engelland, but Savard probably shouldn’t be looking down at the puck.  And for what it is worth, I watched the NESN feed for the game since it was the only one in HD.  Neither Brinkley or Edwards had a problem with the hit.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 01/16/11 at 05:33 PM ET

Neither Brinkley or Edwards had a problem with the hit.

That’s telling.  Edward’s the second biggest homer on the telly, right behind that vermin Steigerwald.  Both guys should sign a contract to do colour for Amur Khabarovsk and do us all a massive favor.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 01/16/11 at 05:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It looked like a dirty headshot from where I’m sitting. That’s a potential career ender.

Maybe they should drop rule 48 and just not let players wear helmets anymore. They might treat one another with more respect if they don’t have the illusion of safety going to the head.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/16/11 at 06:33 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

It looked more like very unfortunate timing. If you look at Savard’s feet, he loses his footing just a bit as the hit connects with his shoulder, then since he slips down a bit, obviously the follow-through has nothing but head to hit.

It’s definitely not blind side or lateral considering Savard skated in face up on the play.

The hit definitely fits the definition of boarding, but I think rule 48 talk is unfair to Engelland.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/17/11 at 10:09 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Ann Arbor on 01/16/11 at 02:52 PM ET

you should sue Dr Rahmani for malpractice.

where in that hit do you see ANY shoulder to shoulder contact?  it was clearly an elbow to the head.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/17/11 at 12:58 PM ET