Video- Marc Staal With A Booming Hit On Matt Stajan

No penalty on the hit.

I should have a better quality video shortly.

update 10:27pm, replaced the original video with one of better quality.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc+staal, matt+stajan

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That’s outstanding.  I love how the flames try to play Philly hockey and goon it up.  Hard in your face hockey, but whenever one of they’re players gets a boo boo for admiring his pass, the team wants to fight someone.  I find that ironic.  Nae, redolent.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 01:20 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Great, clean hit.  It is the definition of the player not paying attention.  Stajan was admiring his pass, Stall was in front of him.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 11/23/10 at 01:31 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Perfect hit, shoulder to shoulder, north south, devastating effect.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 01:39 AM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I’m probably in the minority on this, but I just don’t understand what the purpose of that hit is. In theory, checking is allowed to separate a player from the puck, not to take his GD head off.  I’m not questioning it’s legality, just it’s usefulness in the game. As a Wings fan, I know Kronwall is known for these hits and other players have made a career doing them, but all I can think of when I see this stuff is how potentially damaging they are to the receiving player.  In this case, he’s hit after a pass is made, so it’s not about separating him from the puck, since he doesn’t have it (I know he had it when Stall committed to the hit); I guess you can make an argument for intimidation and making a player think twice about entering the zone, but it still seems excessive. It’s probably too hard to legislate out of the game, but some poor bastards are going to have their careers and lives altered by these hits, and I’m not sure for what purpose.  They are exciting and all, but are about as useful as fighting in the game (I am referring to these open ice hits when a player doesn’t have the puck).  Sure, it serves some purpose, but it’s more likely about fan entertainment than hockey. Checking when a player has the puck is a different story, of course. I don’t know, maybe studying the brain and its functioning has made me too sensitive to potential damage and has taken the fun out of watching bare knuckle fighting and punishing open ice hits that probably cause brain injury (even on a shoulder to shoulder hit, as in this case, I wouldn’t be surprised if Stajan is concussed). I guess hitting is not as exciting when you have sympathy for the player being hit.

Posted by PDXWing on 11/23/10 at 01:59 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Someone’s been drinking the Redmond kool-aid.

I heard his tangent about it too on a different play, possibly different game.  Technically yes, the only reason to hit is to seperate a player from the puck.  However, there are secondary factors.  You think Stajan wants to go to the sweet spots on the ice anymore after a hit like that?  You think half the other players want to now too?  If you don’t get a good piece of him, he could become a scoring threat, he’s sure as sh*t not now.  And he passed the puck literally half a second before Staal made contact?  I could see him rolling in the pocket ready to send one downfield right into Stajan, cocky enough to skate through the middle of the ice, admiring his pass going one way instead of watching the train coming in front of him.

I honestly don’t see why a real hockey fan could actually not want to see good LEGAL/CLEAN hard hits.

You’d probably like Eurohockey a lot better than N American PDX, Maybe you’d like watching Juniors or PeeWee.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 02:09 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

not to mention what these guys get paid to do.

I’ll give it to you, for 13.50 an hour, I definitely would be more cautious about my own noggin’ as well as that of co-workers. safety first.

These guys get paid millions of dollars to chuck around a piece of rubber, and part of that comes with the fact that in this high lucrative game, there’s hitting.  If they don’t want to be hit, get a normal job.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 02:12 AM ET

lordhogie's avatar

I am a flames fan, so I am a little biased. I do not think it was Marc Staal’s intention to hit Stajan’s head. I think he was a good defenseman trying to make a hard open-ice check. It was a good hit in that regard.

That being said, Staal probably could have practiced a little discretion while making the hit. It looks like he started with the shoulder and finished with the elbow. It happens so fast, I can’t really blame him. I don’t think Stajan should have left himself so vulnerable, but at the same time I also feel that Staal could have easily passed that hit up. At the very least I think it deserved a penalty.

Stajan has already had 2 concussions this season. Like PDXWing says, the potential long-term damage that we are starting to find out about is making these hits less and less easy to cheer for. I am the last guy that wants hitting out of hockey, but something needs to be done.

Posted by lordhogie from Calgary on 11/23/10 at 02:33 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

HUGE…clean hit.

Emphasis on the clean.  And the huge.  (that’s what she said)

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/23/10 at 02:40 AM ET

Mojo Tooth's avatar

I feel bad for Stajan but there is still the concept of being responsible for yourself. If Stajan takes a brief look around after he sends that pass, there’s no way this hit devastates him like that.

Posted by Mojo Tooth on 11/23/10 at 03:27 AM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I get it, but I still don’t have to like it. I like the N.A. game and am predisposed to liking the skill aspect of it more than the brawn.  I enjoy watching (and playing) hockey a lot, at all levels, but I’ve never enjoyed watching someone get hurt, in any sport. Yeah, they get paid a lot and they know the risks, but it doesn’t change the fact that they have to live a life after professional hockey and it could be damaged because of hits like these. I agree with lordhogie that it’s hard to keep cheering for hits like this when we know how damaging they can be (especially cumulatively).  But, it’s hockey and it’s a dangerous, physical sport, so I guess you have to take the good with the bad. It’s definitely a tough subject since I don’t want to see the game become over regulated and think, overall, the sport is in a good place with the level of skill and competition.

Posted by PDXWing on 11/23/10 at 03:46 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I agree there is a concussion problem and hit to the head/blindside hit problem.  Faceplanting a guy into the boards full force when you don’t need to, giving an extra shove when the guy is clearly going down anyway all these little things do put a damper on the game and if we didn’t have so many of these types of hits occuring ALL the time, then the good clean/legal hits wouldn’t be lumped in that catagory and the person getting hit would be responsible for his own safety.

Like in the Army, you go through a live fire, crawling under chicken wire while they fire live rounds above you.  Give you a taste of combat.  Now this is part of my job, it’s inherant, this type of environment.  Now I have two choices.  I can crawl under the chicken wire.. or I can skate through the middle of the ice and get mowed down.  Either way, it was my responsibility to watch out for myself. wink

And if we took out the instigator penalty, we could put an end to that stuff real quick.  That’s why Bert only unleashed his Sasquatchian Fury in the preseason when points didn’t matter.  When they went for Mule’s knee.  He let them know that sh** isn’t gonna fly and set the tone.  Can’t do that in the regular season and not risk putting your team down.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 04:53 AM ET

I’ve got to say that to some extent I agree with PDXWing here.  I mean, big hits are part of why I love the game (though I’ll take a Douglas Murray hit over a Niklas Kronwall one), but watching the game when this one happened tonight, I just was left with that sinking, sick feeling while watching Stajan wobble to the bench.

I guess my big question is, even if Stajan hadn’t admired his pass for that split second too long, would the result of the hit have been that much different?  Sure—clean—but ultimately necessary?

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 11/23/10 at 04:57 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think if he had been aware (Since he was coasting through the friggin middle of the ice, with the puck) he could have deflected the hit, gone with the hit, done something to brace himself…  I’m in the freakin’ twilight zone defending open ice hits within the legal rules of the game to people who don’t want to see hits in freakin’ hockey.  I thin Bettman’s putting subliminal messeges in NHL Live intermission reports.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 07:16 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

do his team mates have an obligation to give him a “heads up”? or does it all happen to fast? got to know where everyone on the ice is. i agree with the notion it will make him gunshy

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/23/10 at 10:57 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I have sympathy for Stajan and I hope he’s ok, but I like seeing checks like that.

I just hate the phrase “admiring his pass”.  He was tracking the puck coming into the zone.  Yes, it had just left his stick, but if it takes a bounce off his teammate’s lumber, then he needs to know it as soon as possible so he can adjust.

Still, this is a crushing check from the front side.  The responsibility is on Stajan to make sure he’s got his head up and knows what’s coming.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 11:33 AM ET

I love how the announcers claim it was shoulder-to-shoulder early on, but you can clearly see his head snap back as Staal got him right on the chin.  Then they say how it’s legal because it’s north-south (I kind of agree there).

But I still don’t like the hit, it has no point except to make a highlight reel.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 11/23/10 at 11:38 AM ET

but you can clearly see his head snap back as Staal got him right on the chin.

What in the hell footage are you watching?  His head snaps FORWARD and THEN back.

Posted by Garth on 11/23/10 at 12:07 PM ET

Stajan has already had 2 concussions this season.

I really hate to be this guy, but if he’s had two concussions already, shouldn’t he be the guy who knows, more than anyone, that you have to keep your head on a swivel?

Posted by Garth on 11/23/10 at 12:12 PM ET

lordhogie's avatar

I should clarify my previous post. If Staal’s hit causes Stajan a concussion, then he will have had two this season. He has only had one previously.

Posted by lordhogie from Calgary on 11/23/10 at 12:19 PM ET

awould's avatar

Definitely not blindside. Looked a little late but not egregiously so. But I remember loving when Konstantinov layed guys out. Stajan should’ve been paying more attention. Unfortunate but I don’t see how it merits a suspension or even a penalty.

Posted by awould on 11/23/10 at 02:07 PM ET

Keep your head up - a fundamental necessity ingrained in the eatly stages of hockey developement. Good luck to Stajan’s recovery.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 11/23/10 at 04:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Does that mean we’re not allowed to use it anymore?  You know what I just hated?  The hit on Huds in the playoffs.. you know the one.. where he got caught admiring his pa… er.. tracking the puck.

Bottom line is these guys have enough sense to know WHEN they can track the puck and when not to.  Especially at the NHL level.  And if they are so enamored with their pass that they just CANNOT avert their eyes from that greasy little piece of rubber to make sure they don’t get laid out, in the part of the ice it’s most likely to happen at that.. at the blueline where defenders love to make their stand.. the indicators were there, I call it vanity, he got caught up in making a pretty/nifty play he forgot there was another team on the ice

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/23/10 at 05:06 PM ET