Video- Kronwall Hit On Selanne Tonight

Selanne did not leave the bench and returned to the ice to take his regular shift.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: niklas+kronwall, teemu+selanne

Comments

SK77's avatar

hey nick jr, nice little hop with an elbow there. good for selanne, tough bastard.

Posted by SK77 on 10/23/10 at 11:12 PM ET

A Kronwall hit where he leaves his feet? Never saw him do that before.

Posted by Shane on 10/23/10 at 11:47 PM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

Check the vid at 0:36.  Nothing wrong with leaving your feet after the contact.

Posted by Denver Wings on 10/24/10 at 12:25 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

No reason for Kronwall to launch himself into Selanne like that. Completely unnecessary.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/24/10 at 01:11 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Clean hit, period.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/24/10 at 01:14 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 10/23/10 at 11:11 PM ET

Any fan of a team that employs Matt Cooke needs to STFU about any so called “dirty” hit.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 10/24/10 at 01:25 AM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

Posted by Denver Wings on 10/24/10 at 01:28 AM ET

Hahaha.  Says the fan of a team that employs Bertuzzi.

Take off the homer glasses.  He didn’t even say the hit was dirty, just unnecessary and he’s right.  Kronwall could have not tried to take his head off and it would have been fine.  Had this been the other way, I can only imagine the outrage.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/24/10 at 01:32 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Unnecessary hits?  Go play soccer.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 10/24/10 at 01:46 AM ET

Yep, because that’s the exact point I was making.  I actually would rather there be no hitting at all.  It’s not like there’s an entire debate in all contact sports about head shots or anything.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/24/10 at 01:50 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Then don’t criticize a hockey player for making a legal hockey play

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 10/24/10 at 01:53 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

It was clean!!!

Are we not allowed to hit anymore?

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/24/10 at 01:58 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

Kronwall hit him with a bicep to the face, while he was still on his feet. The “jump” came after contact.

It’s a perfectly legal hit. It’s still the type of hit I’d like to see eliminated altogether, but there’s nothing “dirty” or unecessary about it. It’s not an elbow, it’s not charging, and what’s Kronner supposed to do, not hit Selanne?

And Teemu needs to talk to his head coach if he hates his team’s supposed “unfair treatment” when they come to the Joe. They’ve cooled off a bit from this mentality since their heyday in 2007 but still, the Ducks play the “they can’t call everything” style of hockey. When you’re constantly gooning it up, slashing guys, throwing elbows, etc, it bites you in the ass.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 10/24/10 at 02:08 AM ET

Funny, Cooke’s hit on Savard and Richard’s hit on Booth were both legal hockey plays under the rules as well,  yet they were criticized.  As far as the new blindside rule, this was a legal hit.  Unbelievably though, Kronwall could have made a hit without going after his head, thus making this whole post moot.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/24/10 at 02:10 AM ET

Clearly targeted the head! should have been a penalty!

Posted by timbits on 10/24/10 at 02:19 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Funny, Cooke’s hit on Savard and Richard’s hit on Booth were both legal hockey plays under the rules as well, yet they were criticized.

Boom.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 10/24/10 at 02:25 AM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

Totally agree.

Selanne was looking right at Kronwall before he got hit.  The Cooke and Richard hits were both blind-sided so, under the new rules this season, both of those hits are illegal.  The Kronwall hit wasn’t.

Posted by Denver Wings on 10/24/10 at 02:35 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

The problem is that the league explicitly sanctioned this type of north to south hit as the kind of big hit they want to keep in the game.  I can’t criticize a guy for doing something that the players and the league apparently want him to do.  Unnecessary?  Sure, but a chickenshit criticism since you could equally apply that criticism to any other big hit.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 10/24/10 at 02:47 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

The purpose of hitting is to separate your opponent from the puck. Kronwall already did that when he pinched. He did not need to hit Selanne. If Selanne had possession of the puck, I would have zero problem with the hit. But he didn’t have possession. Players just need to respect each other more.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/24/10 at 02:47 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Then maybe, your problem is with the refs.  Because if Selanne didn’t have the puck (which I dispute) then it was interference.  Why no call?  Because it wasn’t interference.

Posted by calquake on 10/24/10 at 03:06 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Because it wasn’t interference.

I’ve never said it was illegal. Just unnecessary.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/24/10 at 03:17 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ve never said it was illegal. Just unnecessary.

So now we’re going to penalize players for “unnecessary” hits? We don’t care whether or not they’re legal. The new criteria is whether or not they’re “necessary.” I guess it’s no surprise that it would take a Pens fan to come up with a ludicrous criteria like that.

That was a 100% legal hit. It was a shoulder-to-chest hit. Selanne’s been around long enough to know that he needs to keep his head up when clearing the zone. He didn’t. He paid the price. End of story.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/24/10 at 03:36 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

So now we’re going to penalize players for “unnecessary” hits?

At no point did I say he should be penalized, nor did I say the NHL should start penalizing for “unnecessary” hits. I just feel Kronwall did not need to hit Selanne. That’s all.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/24/10 at 03:40 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 10/24/10 at 12:47 AM ET

I agree that the hit was legal, I also agree that the hit was unnecessary.  I am not happy that Kronwall appeared to target Selanne high on that hit.

I don’t think avoiding the hit altogether was possible, but I don’t think Kronwall should have finished high on him.  It wasn’t a charge or an elbow or even a roughing, but I don’t want hits to the head in hockey.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/24/10 at 04:07 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

In other news, has anyone seen the Wayne Simmonds butt-end?  Must have been pretty bad, he got 5 and a gamer, but I’ve yet to see it…

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 10/24/10 at 04:18 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I agree that the hit was legal, I also agree that the hit was unnecessary.

There are many, many players that deserve to get Kronwalled like that….
Selanne is not one of them.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 10/24/10 at 05:14 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

I can’t believe there is even a debate on whether this was legal or not. It was completely illegal. He targeted the head, launched himself through Selanne. This is the type of hit that needs to be eliminated from the game entirely. And before everyone jumps on me, take a look at the slow-mo replays at 0:10 and 0:30. He looks right at Selanne and brings his arm up and directs it at his head, driving through it which is why he leaves his feet. If he isn’t suspended for at least 2 games, I’m done with the NHL.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 10/24/10 at 11:05 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

If by “brings his arm up and directs it at his head” you mean tuck neatly against his own body before the contact, then I see your point.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 10/24/10 at 11:26 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Selanne went into the contact as much as Kronwall did, he just got knocked on his ass. Kronwawall came to a near stop to get the puck on the boards and took a half stride to pass the puck when the collision happened. Kronwall just happened to be ready for the contact, it was defensive.

But I agree, I’m not a fan of the high hits. If at some point the league wants to penalize all head contact, I’m ok with that.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/24/10 at 12:17 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If he isn’t suspended for at least 2 games, I’m done with the NHL.

Posted by phillyd from New Jersey on 10/24/10 at 09:05 AM ET

Nice knowing you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/24/10 at 12:36 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

This.

Under the current rules, there’s nothing wrong with this play.

But I do agree that this is a type of play that should be reviewed and some discussions on how to eliminate these hits from the game along with the blindside hits should take place.

I love hitting, but the problem is guys are way faster and way strong than they’ve ever been, so more restrictions have to be put on certain types of hits (like this one) in order to protect players.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/24/10 at 12:48 PM ET

Under the current rules its legal, yes, but it was still a hit directed at the head.

The hypocrisy of many of you who are saying that under the current rules its legal is quite hilarious. Most of you had no problem trying to have Matt Cooke thrown out of the league for his hit, which at the time was completely legal.

I think the league just needs to give the refs an option to call a headshot any time they think the head was the intended target. If its incidental contact, no penalty. If its targeted, 5 minutes.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 10/24/10 at 01:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I still believe these two plays are not comparable.  Kronwall was separating Selanne from the puck while Cooke went head-hunting on a player who had shot the puck.

I still think Cooke’s hit on Savard wasn’t a legal one because I think Cooke had intent to injure.

We will never see eye-to-eye on that play; that makes us homers.  I don’t think seeing a difference makes me a hypocrite.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/24/10 at 01:38 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

As many other people have said, I’d like to see this kind of hit become illegal, but until then, this was a clean hit and the Ducks need to stop whining.

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 10/24/10 at 04:37 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Jesus Christ on a stick, Kronwall did NOT target Selanne’s head.  If you crying nancies will watch the *#$%@& video, Selanne went to hit Kronwall then began to stop, which lowered his head into the shoulder of Kronwall.  All Kronwall did was follow through with his counter-hit, which unfortunately caught Selanne in the face.

Intentional?  Hell no.  If you think otherwise, you’re a complete *#$%@& idiot.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/25/10 at 03:23 AM ET