Video- Janssen Hit On Kronwall

Niklas Kronwall was a bit woozy after the hit but did return to action.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cam+janssen, niklas+kronwall

Comments

Ehhhh. Mick, I love ya, but I don’t see how that’s a blindside hit. Kronner was facing Janssen when he passed to Abs and turned away from the hit. The only complaint I have with the hit is that it’s a little after the pass, but that’s nitpicking. Solid shoulder hit by Janssen.

Posted by datsyukian13 on 11/18/10 at 02:42 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I didn’t have a problem with it either. Kronner is facing Janssen when he first plays the puck, and apparently just didn’t notice him coming? Maybe Janssen could’ve laid off a little bit, but Kronwall had some responsibility to know the hit was coming there too with his spin play.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/18/10 at 02:57 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

You hit people to separate them from the puck.  Kronwall didn’t have the puck and Janssen just went in to hit a player because he could.

I don’t think it was a suspend-able hit, but Mickey has a point in suggesting that it’s the kind of hit that players don’t need to make unless they feel like hurting each other.  Separate your opponent from the puck.  That’s the goal.  Not clip ‘em because they’ve turned away from you and you’re big and strong and can get a lick in on a player who checks hard to try to intimidate him.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/18/10 at 04:20 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

I think the hit’s a bit late, but that’s the only dirty part of it if any.

THIS is the type of hit I want to see more of—shoulder-to-shoulder. Janssen didn’t have to knock him in the head to make his hit felt. These are what we need to see more of, these and shoulder-to-chest.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 11/18/10 at 04:30 AM ET

blammo's avatar

I love Kronwall but that hit was a long time coming. There’s about 50 guys in the league (which is a credit to Kronner) that would have loved to deliver that hit.

I guy like Kronwall has to keep his head up, it comes with the territory.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 11/18/10 at 06:18 AM ET

That’s a textbook case of being too busy watching the pass and not moving your feet and being aware of where you are on the ice.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/18/10 at 07:41 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Suspendable? No, absolutely not. Two minutes for interference or roughing since the puck was long gone? Sure.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/18/10 at 10:34 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

interference or intent to injure, but not roughing. There was no punching motion. Janssen did get his elbow up though on the follow through. It looked like (from one angle only) that Kronner got an elbow to the chin, which would explain wooziness. What kills me is when the wings made a clean hit that put someone into the goal and all hell broke loose.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/18/10 at 10:55 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Kronwall was hit before Abdelkader touches the puck, hence no interference or roughing.

Personally, I thought that Janssen was a little too preoccupied with hitting Kronwall in the head, ie. raising his shoulder, for my liking. But Kronwall would undoubtedly do the same if given the chance.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 11/18/10 at 10:58 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Justin Abdelkader lays that hit on anybody for the Blues, I’m cheering him on.  There is such a thing as hitting to intimidate and I’m ok with that.

Janssen played 4:15 on the night, had 2 penalty minutes, and was a minus-2… you kind of have to wonder what Payne was doing even putting him on the ice at that point with the Blues down 3.  That’s the only real problem I have.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/18/10 at 11:16 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Kronner got Kronwalled.  Borderline, but a hit I would have been giggling about if it had been vice versa.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/18/10 at 11:59 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

For about 50 years you were the puck carrier until the next person touched the puck, now all of a sudden if the puck isn’t on your stick it is a late hit.., I don’t get it.

Keep yer head up Kronner.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/18/10 at 01:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Shake it off, drink water, change your socks, drive on.

Hard hit, good hit, shoulder to shoulder.  That’s hockey.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/18/10 at 01:55 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/18/10 at 04:41 AM ET

Horseshit.  He’d just let go of the puck, was still in the follow-through of the backhand, and didn’t even even know Janssen was coming to hit him.  When you’re not expecting to get hit like that in your defensive zone from the back/side, of course you’re not going to be in any mad rush to get moving again.  Then again, your expectations are ever so high for people.

Was the hit “blindside?”  By the new rules, yes.  Dirty?  I don’t really think so.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 11/18/10 at 02:40 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Meh.  Penalty-worthy?  Yes.  Suspension-worthy… no.  I guess not.  I’m more concerned with what Backes tried to do to Howard.

Typical coward he is, he then waited until about 4 people were between him and Howard to start his exaggerated “Let me at ‘em!” routine and suddenly become the “tough” guy trying to fight a goalie.

Posted by Primis on 11/18/10 at 05:11 PM ET