Video- You Make The Call, Women’s IIHF Final

via TSN's YouTube page,

Finland thought that they had won the gold medal on Petra Nieminen's overtime-winner, but the celebration in Helsinki was cut short in controversial fashion after the goal was waved off following a lengthy review, which deemed there was goaltender interference on the play. The USA would later go on to win the game in a shootout.

Below, a statement from the IIHF on the call.

The International Ice Hockey Federation has issued the following statement concerning the disallowed goal that occurred during the overtime period of the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship medal game between Finland and USA:

All goals that were scored during the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship were reviewed by the IIHF Video Goal Judge Operations. The overtime goal scored by Team Finland against Team USA was reviewed and disallowed by the Video Goal Judge Operations, due to non-incidental goaltender interference.

Two IIHF Playing Rules were considered in this instance:

-According to IIHF Playing Rule 186 v. Goaltender and Goal/Goal Crease Disallowed: An attacking skater who makes contact other than incidental with a goaltender who is out of his goal crease during game action will be assessed a minor penalty for interference. If a goal is scored at this time, it will not count.

-According to IIHF Playing Rule 183 ii. Protection of a Goaltender: Incidental contact is allowed when the goaltender is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease, provided the attacking skater makes a reasonable effort to minimize or avoid such contact.

Taking these two rules into consideration, the IIHF Video Goal Judge Operations determined that the goal must be disallowed.

During the play, the on-ice official called a penalty for Tripping on the USA goaltender. Penalties that are assessed on-ice are not reviewable by the Video Goal Judge. The VGJ cannot assess or cancel a penalty. The decision to uphold the penalty was made by the on-ice official.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+finland, team+usa

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I don’t like the call. I watched a lot of that series and that was not the right time for that call. Even if the Fin player doesn’t touch the goalie (which looks incidental) that goal most likely would have been scored. Bad call there.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/15/19 at 09:13 AM ET

I don’t understand that, dd. The goalie just about had the puck under control before she’s steam rolled by the Finnish player. The puck gets away from her after she’s hammered in the side of her torso. A bump in the side is incidental. Going over the body at the bottom of the shoulder blades isn’t exactly incidental. And she was half in the crease. The Fin made contact inside the edge of the crease. CBS has a couple good angles in their coverage.

Posted by teldar on 04/15/19 at 09:26 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Nah that was interference. Didn’t the ref’s arm go up before the goal went it? Maybe I was seeing something, but that’s what it looked like. Incidental or not, that was interference. To not call that would be like not calling a high stick because the offending player didn’t mean it.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/15/19 at 09:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

WIN..  hooking call on USA was made when all was settled which to me makes it even more confusing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/15/19 at 09:28 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Oh yeah I see that now about the tripping call. That one’s a head scratcher. I didn’t see that as tripping.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/15/19 at 09:30 AM ET

They called the tripping on the goalie. It was a crazy call.

Posted by teldar on 04/15/19 at 11:19 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for clarifying the tripping call.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/15/19 at 11:54 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I have to admit I was looking through the NHL eyes and rules.

I stumbled upon this article about the goal and the interference. It has some good photos and GIFs.

Good article here:

It’s really a close call, IMO. The goalie is just about out of the crease and diving for the puck. The goalie was going to be penalized for tripping.

I still think it’s not the best call. Not at this juncture or this game do you make that call. Let the game be played.

I still don’t like it.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/15/19 at 01:46 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The first clip of it I saw, I thought it should have been a goal but I watched it several more times and it’s clear the goalie was playing the loose puck when she got steamrolled.  I don’t believe that’s a good goal, and I’m actually surprised it took as long as it did for the ruling.

That was a big decision and not one I’d want to have to make.  I’m pleased to see they got it “right” though according to the rules, instead of just rolling with it because all the gloves and sticks were thrown all over the ice.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/15/19 at 03:22 PM ET

The Fins got screwed, plane and simple.

Posted by DougBrownov#17 on 04/15/19 at 04:50 PM ET