Video- Would You Have Called A Penalty Shot On This Play?

If you are going to call this a penalty shot, then it has to remain consistent through the season.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: keith+yandle

Comments

That being a penalty shot is ridiculous. However, this does not mean it’s a surprise.
F’in NHL refs are a joke. It’s amazing how bad they are.

Posted by teldar on 09/29/15 at 12:03 PM ET

JBytes's avatar

Yeah, I was watching the match and laughed quite a bit at the call.  Then, it got me thinking…perhaps every penalty committed during the 3v3 gimmick should result in a penalty shot?  I have yet to see the exciting hockey this new OT configuration was supposed to bring.

Posted by JBytes on 09/29/15 at 12:31 PM ET

Get his stick up in Yandle’s hands.  That’s a penalty at least.  And on a breakaway (or partial breakaway) that’s a penalty shot.

Do I like that it is?  No, but that’s what it is nowadays.

Posted by Garth on 09/29/15 at 12:57 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Pathetic.  At worst that was 2 minutes for hooking.  If Yandle had sold it a bit, it might have been a penalty shot, but he did not even make the effort to fall down.

I want to see the NHL referees uniform changed to include red rubber noses and big frilly collars at the neck, and arms.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/29/15 at 01:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s a penalty shot, guys.

That is what a penalty shot is SUPPOSED to be.  He absolutely did get the stick up in his hands pretty blatantly, and that’s a no-no.  Furthermore, Yandle was blatantly past the last defender when it happened.  The rule specifically states interfering with a player with your stick as a viable reason.  There is no provision in the rule that states the puck-carrier *must* be hauled down or something.  Simply “interfered with” is enough,

I wonder if we’re all so conditioned to refs not even calling the penalty shot when guys are outright hauled down that we’re just in disbelief when it’s called by the book.

Posted by Primis on 09/29/15 at 01:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

All I am hoping for this season is the refs to be consistent with a penalty shot call.

If they want to call this one, fine with me but make sure it is called again on a similar play.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/15 at 02:02 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/15 at 02:02 PM ET

This all day.  Consistency should be the keyword for the NHL referees every year, but I’m unsure if they even know the word exists.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/29/15 at 02:19 PM ET

If the defenders stick gets anything other than the shooter’s stick and the shooter is on a breakaway, I’m not really sure how its not called a penalty shot.  I thought that was the very definition of when to call a penalty shot.  If a penalty shot requires something more flagrant than that, its a bad call, but seems pretty straightforward to me.

Posted by neffernin on 09/29/15 at 02:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I thought for a penalty shot to be awarded the penalty had to interfere with them as they were actually taking the shot.  To me it looked like he was hooked (numerous times) but then just whiffed on the puck when he went to shoot it.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/29/15 at 03:02 PM ET