Video- What Do You Think Of This Hit From Dustin Brown On Ryan Murray?

from Aaron Portzline of Puck-Rakers,

Defenseman Ryan Murray was flattened by Kings winger Dustin Brown early in the second period. Murray and the Blue Jackets were coming out of the zone, and Murray had released the puck when Brown -- in a straight light -- launched himself into Murray, his right arm/shoulder making impact with Murray's head.

“I mean I obviously didn’t like that hit on Ryan," Blue Jackets left wing Nick Foligno said. "I thought that he was in a pretty vulnerable situation. I didn’t like that he (Brown) only got two minutes (charging) for that, but it was an emotional part of the game and we rallied around it, continued to push and keep them at bay. We were right there with them but just couldn’t find that overtime goal.”

read on and watch the hit below...

added 8:42am, from Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider,

Dustin Brown, on the hit:
It’s a fine hit for me. Whatever. At this point, I don’t know if we’re allowed to hit anymore. It’s just one of those plays where he kind of bails and I’m coming in for the hit. Whatever.

Brown, on whether “anything violent” is automatically called a penalty:
I think ultimately they’re going to go the way of the IIHF, where if it looks bad, it’s a penalty, and whether it’s a good hit or a clean hit or a hard hit, if it’s too hard, it’s going to be a penalty. I think that’s kind of where they’re going to be going. Like I said, I’m just not a fan. There’s some responsibility to protect yourself on the ice and responsibility on the other side of it. There’s certain hits I think we can all look at and say, ‘That’s not a good hit.’…It wasn’t like I targeted his head, or anything like that. It was a body check, and he happened to be a little lower than I am, so I don’t know what I’m supposed to do in that situation.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dustin+brown, ryan+murray

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Thats a tough one, but it was Murray who put himself in a bad positiion instead of bracing for the hit that he has to know was coming.  The hit itself was all shoulder, and Brown didnt leave his feet, but it caught Murray’s head all the way.

To me Brown’s right.  You have to take some responsibility in protecting yourself in a contact sport.  And beyond that, anyone who starts a fight after a clean hit should get a 10 minute misconduct.  Im tired of seeing the play stop every time there is a clean hit, because someone takes offense.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/07/14 at 09:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Reports are no additional discipline for Brown.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/07/14 at 10:05 AM ET

Clean Hits are the only reason there should be fights. Any Dirty Hit should be taken care of by the league by the way of penalties, fines, and suspensions. Theoretically these should be enough to deter the dirty hits. A clean and legal hit still hurts, and can cause just as much damage as a dirty one.

You might think twice about making a nice clean open ice hit if you have to answer to an enforcer, which is the reason why they exist.

Posted by nwm on 02/07/14 at 11:00 AM ET

I’m from Columbus and I don’t think the hit was malicious. Murray turned his head at the last second seeing the hit was coming. Brown should have tried to back off a bit from the hit when he saw Murray was low and he was going to hit him in the head, but it all happens so fast. Charging I think was the right call because he followed through with the hit.  I’ll be suprised if the league intervenes, but I’ve been surprised before.

Posted by App State beats Michigan! on 02/07/14 at 11:25 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

It was probably a legal hit, maybe a split second late, and of course Murray was in a very poor position to absorb it, but at the end of the day, it was a typical, “Brown being Brown” hit. Aside from the high injury potential to the exposed player, he has to know that it’s going to get whistled more often than not. Not a fan.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 02/07/14 at 11:50 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Brown is an idiot and a dirty player.  As long as the league continues to consider crap hits (this one was marginal) from him as “Brown being Brown”, he will just get worse until he finally seriously injures someone.  The answer, of course, is for the league to start considering the source and keep throwing the book as him.  There is ample proof that this will eventually lead to a better style of play from a chronic offender.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/07/14 at 12:32 PM ET