Video- Wayne Simmonds Match Penalty Today

What do you think?

added 2:26pm, watch the Flyers broadcast point of view below and video is autoplay.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: wayne+simmonds

Comments

Paul's avatar

Ryan McDonagh will not return today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/06/16 at 03:13 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

McDonaugh put up his stick and got Simmonds in the head, which should be a penalty. Sure, Simmonds was a little hot with the slashand the sucker punch but I have seen far worse go uncalled. Roughing? Yeah, I can see that but not sure how this is a match penalty.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 02/06/16 at 03:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I can see two minutes for retaliation. Tops. A match penalty? Absolutely inexcusable job by the officiating.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/06/16 at 04:47 PM ET

Canucklehead's avatar

I was expecting to see a nasty boarding or cross-check, not a punch to the mouth.  Pretty weak call, in my opinion.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 02/06/16 at 05:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I was watching the game and Simmonds took a butt-end to the chin early and the game with no call.

He was pretty upset with it and chatted the refs and it looks like the refs were looking for him when he threw the punch.

With McDonaugh out for the game that may factor into it but I still think the Match will be rescinded.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/06/16 at 06:00 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If this is what they are suspending players for and letting the other more grievous stuff go…  Bettman’s NHL must GO!

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 02/06/16 at 06:10 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I guess I disagree with some folks here.

But I’ve been saying for all of my life that sucker punches should be a game misconduct… Good call, refs !

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/06/16 at 08:48 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Simmonds whole performance should net him a 20 game suspension.  Smashing an opponent in the face with the stick in hand is worthy of a match penalty.  Then throwing the stick at the official merits a major suspension too.  This is sad as I really think Simmonds is a first class player.  He needs to learn control.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/06/16 at 10:46 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Wish he was a Red Wing, this guy can score can bulldog his way across the rink and knock fools out.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/07/16 at 04:57 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I agree Slumpy! I adore the way Simmonds plays on the ice & if I thought my team needed a F (I don’t think we got more than enough quality) I’d welcome him.

But… that’s got nothing to do with my opinions on suspensions.

I’ve been happy in the past with suspensions to Kronwall and Abdelkader (and dozens of others) and yet I’m damn happy they’re both career-Red Wings.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/07/16 at 12:01 PM ET