Video- Tom Wilson Suspended 20 Games

Illegal head check.

The explanation.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tom+wilson

Comments

Paul's avatar

NEW YORK (Oct. 3, 2018) – Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward Oskar Sundqvist during NHL Preseason Game No. 106 in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, Sept. 30, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 5:18 of the second period. Wilson was assessed a match penalty for illegal check to the head.

Wilson is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $1,260,162.60. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/03/18 at 03:58 PM ET

NHL’s message to habitual offenders: “KNOCK IT THE F**K OFF”

I thought it would be in the 10-15 range, surprised but not surprised.

Posted by MZ2215 on 10/03/18 at 04:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Renaud Lavoie tweet,

It’s Tom Wilson 4th suspension in his last 105 games. Since the creation of @NHLPlayerSafety department, he’s the first player to be suspended that many times in such short span.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/03/18 at 04:09 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I am surprised they actually gave him 20.  I figured it would be more like 7 or 8.

This is a good step in the right direction for the NHL, but the most important step is their next one.  Will they harshly punish repeat offenders as they did with Wilson, or will they continue handing out 3 or 4 game suspensions?

Posted by TreKronor on 10/03/18 at 04:27 PM ET

Wow, I think they get it right for once.

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/03/18 at 04:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s his 4th suspension in 105 games?

20 is not nearly enough then.

Posted by Primis on 10/03/18 at 04:47 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Posted by Hank1974 on 10/03/18 at 04:57 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

It’s his 4th suspension in 105 games?
20 is not nearly enough then.

Agreed.
The problem is the NHL and the DoPS are too slow to act.
From Cooke to Torres and now to Wilson, they let the first 4 or 5 transgressions go without very little punity and then they drop an atom bomb.
If he had been suspended for 10 games for his prior incident, this latest hit doesn’t happen and that Blues player isn’t in la-la land.

Posted by Hank1974 on 10/03/18 at 04:59 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/03/18 at 04:27 PM ET

I was pretty much was thinking the same. It’s wait and see if the league will be consistent with the same discipline whenever another player hits dirty.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/03/18 at 05:03 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/03/18 at 05:03 PM ET

I agree!! Does the NHLPA, in their agreement with the NHL, have any restrictions regarding suspensions? Time/$$$

I remember the Dork in Calgary that hit a linesman (Didn’t see him ,of course)
NHL handed ut a long suspension to the player but it was later decreased.

I don’t think the official ever returned to the NHL.

In short, LOL, can the NHLPA, courts, Buttman, etc reduce the 20 games handed out.

JMO I would give this idiot a full year, he has been doing this for a long time and never gotten a penalty let alone suspended.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/03/18 at 05:30 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I believe the collective bargaining agreement allows for an appeal, but with 20 games handed out, I think the league is pretty hardened with 20. Possibly he gets it reduced 5 games…. ??

For old timers, I know they are unhappy with the length of suspension, but the game, for better or worse, has evolved over the past 20 years. I think mostly for the better.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/03/18 at 05:54 PM ET