Video- The Penalty Shot Call

I have no issue with the awarding of a penalty shot on this play from last night.

What I do have an issue with is if that is penalty shot worthy, then the NHL must make that call on a consistent basis and they haven't, so controversy arises because of it.

added 11:24am, Don Cherry and Ron MacLean address the penalty shot at the 2:05 mark of the video below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

ronlandrus's avatar

It used to be you had to haul somone down from behind, during a clear cut breakaway. Now I am not sure that was a penalty especially during the playoffs.

Posted by ronlandrus from Toledo, Ohio on 05/28/13 at 09:40 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The NHL is incapable of making calls consistent.  You’ve been watching long enough to know better, Paul.

So no Paul, with that in mind they cannot and should not call that a penalty shot.  EVER.  For any team, anywhere.

I’m sick of the s**t Wings fans take about the Tin Foil Hat Brigade… when the NHL comes out and delivers an abortion of an officiated game like last night.  No you dumba** clowns, it’s not conspiracy “theories”... it’s year after motherf**king year of it over and over and over again to the point where the evidence is overwhelming and there really is no other explanation.

I can’t wait for Game 7 when Zetterberg is carrying 3 Hawks on his back every time he has the puck, Franzen is getting slashed repeatedly in the face, and Howard is getting slew-footed and tripped every time the Haws are in the Wings’ zone… and suddenly there will magically be no whistles and just a bunch of garbage excuses from clowns about how things are “being called right” when they’re saying the same thing about this sh*t and you can’t have it both ways.

Posted by Primis on 05/28/13 at 09:42 AM ET

I thought a penalty shot was only called if the actions of the defending player prevented the offensive player from getting a good shot at the net.
This obviously was not the case here and didn’t warrant a penalty shot at all.

Posted by grndlprm on 05/28/13 at 09:46 AM ET

Total joke of a game for the referee’s.  Why does it seem that when the refs decide to call the game “by the book” it is always the Wings on the short end of the stick.  I have no idea why Bettman and Co stick it to the Wings so much I would think the Wings are his wet dream, they always have international talent, no goons ever, no guys who play the game the wrong way, no off ice issues and always draw fans on the road.  Yet they continue to get hosed from the NHL head offices.  The hit that Datsyuk had on Toews in the 3rd period was a clean, legal hit and he gets a penalty for it.  That is how the Hawks have been hitting the Wings star players the whole series.  I have no idea why Ilitch and Co stand for this, if is not this years playoffs, it is every single season.

Posted by bababooey on 05/28/13 at 09:49 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

uh, i need a little here, what does “consistent ” mean again?
sincerely, hockey fan.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/28/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Yeah, last night when I vented about the referees on a facebook chat I have with some friends that like hockey, one of them brought the tin foil hat conspiracy

I only had to search google images for 20s, to get a picture of the 09 SCF 2 minute 6 man penguins line, and the conversation was over (he is a penguins fan, of all things…  Blergh)

I wonder if this crap is gonna continue next year, when we move to the East, or if the move is gonna have any effect on it, at all

Ha, who am I kidding… Of course it’s gonna stay the same

Posted by Zqto on 05/28/13 at 09:51 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

This obviously was not the case here and didn’t warrant a penalty shot at all.

huh?  watch the replay…the “slash” caused Frolik to lose control of the puck and he never got a shot off.

however, this kind of “slash” happens dozens of times a game and is not called.  messing with the opponents stick and hands seems to be widely accepted as just how you play…except on this play apparently.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 09:52 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

uh, i need a little here, what does “consistent ” mean again?
sincerely, hockey fan.

Posted by Rdwings28

Well, a perfect example of consistency (and probably the only example of it in this league) is how the refs can screw the Wings over, year, after year, after year…  I mean, you probably have to work VERY HARD to get this kind of consistency over so many years

Posted by Zqto on 05/28/13 at 09:54 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

That struck me as far, far below the normal standard for the awarding of a penalty shot, and I have no dog in this fight…I certainly don’t subscribe to the refs / league / NBC anti-Wing conspiracies (cue eery paranormal soundtrack in the basements of the 19).

Poor, inconsistent ref’ing is poor, inconsistent ref’fing. No reason to make one’s mark on the game and declare war on all types of obstruction in a game of this significance.

Just win it in Chicago and move on, Wings.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/28/13 at 09:55 AM ET

Paul's avatar

bababooey, just for you…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/28/13 at 09:57 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I do have a problem with it as the league and the refs have always said they don’t want a major call to affect the outcome of a playoff game.

*deadpan stare…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/28/13 at 09:59 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh. I like the hit as it’s obvious Pavel was telling Toes to essentially stop bitching, but it was definitely a penalty.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/28/13 at 10:00 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

that had to give pretty boy a headache. that head bounce was a good one.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/28/13 at 10:11 AM ET

Ha!  thanks Paul.  I don’t recall it being so late I had thought he had passed the puck and Datsyuk was finishing his check.

Posted by bababooey on 05/28/13 at 10:16 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It’s like watching a golf swing.  You can watch the energy go from Pavels legs up through his torso, out his shoulder and into Toews.  He moved like, one foot and transferred that kind of energy.  That’s some Bruce Lee shit.

Pavel’s unreal

Ref’s can suck a dick.  How many bad calls do you have to make, games you have to affect with shit calls, before you get shit canned.  I’d LOVE to be a fuchin’ Ref.  No reprocussions for shitty performance, I can make sure players I hate will be on the recieving end of the business nightly.  And there’s nothing that can be done, and if anyone says anything about it, they’ll lose over 100k cause Buttman’s got my back, bitches.  Ref’s fuchin’ have it nice.  They probably have a “chilhood” friend betting on the Hawks in 7.  They’re for sure milking these ratings.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/28/13 at 10:16 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

And that’s not a hook, that’s a stick check, big difference.  It wasn’t even a penalty let alone a penalty shot.

But you have to consider, Toes & Co spent 3 games bitching about officiating.  You knew enough crying about it from the other golden boys was going to get things going their way.  Especially when you have OHallaran out there.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/28/13 at 10:18 AM ET

What video are you watching?
He still had control of the puck and got a shot off that went wide.  If anything he intentionally pushed it wide to help sell the call.
Any player in the NHL today can easily shake off a simple tap on the stick like that any day.  You see them do it all the time.

Posted by grndlprm on 05/28/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Added to this post- Video of Cherry and MacLean talking about the penalty shot.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/28/13 at 10:29 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...this kind of “slash” happens dozens of times a game and is not called.  messing with the opponents stick and hands seems to be widely accepted as just how you play…

I think the penalty was called because the ref assumed Cola got Frolik’s hands. But if you pause the video at the 0:31 mark, you can see that he actually got Frolik’s stick between his hands. That should be perfectly legal and no penalty shot (or penalty) should have been called.

But the ref was in a bad position to see the play because he was even with the two players. If he had been in front of them, he might have seen what really happened.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/28/13 at 10:33 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Either way OTC, that’s not a penalty shot.  Might’ve been a bad call, but if his view was obstructed, that’s even more reason to call 2 minutes instead of the skill competition.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/28/13 at 10:46 AM ET

Ha, who am I kidding… Of course it’s gonna stay the same

Posted by Zqto on 05/28/13 at 10:51 AM ET

And it’s EXACTLY the same shit we’re gonna see in Game Seven.

Goddamn this fuching league.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/28/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Simply put, if you’re going to ignore the letter of the law and rely on discretion in regards to penalties for 99.9999% of the game, it’s absolutely absurd to decide to follow the rulebook word for word in one ultra-visible possibly game changing moment.  Call the entire game by the letter of the law, then no one has a problem with handing out a penalty shot.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/28/13 at 11:18 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Valek on 05/28/13 at 12:18 PM ET

This.  It’s the inconsistency that drives me insane.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/28/13 at 11:23 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Valek on 05/28/13 at 12:18 PM ET

This.  It’s the inconsistency that drives me insane.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/28/13 at 11:24 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

After watching this repeatedly, especially at the :31 second mark referenced above, I firmly believe this was an AWFUL call. Cola’s soft stick check on him between the hands, not on them, in no way prevented Frolik from gathering the puck back once he tried to go backhand. It’s a ridiculous call.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/28/13 at 11:35 AM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/28/13 at 10:57 AM ET

oh…that does make me feel better smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/28/13 at 11:43 AM ET

gowings's avatar

well….makes me feel better when I look at it…...but then I remember what happened :(

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/28/13 at 11:51 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

how can anyone think Frolik actually shot that puck?  he was stick handling, lost control when his stick was hit by Cola, and the puck slid wide.

I’m not saying it’s a penalty shot, or even a penalty, just always amazes me how people can see something that is so clearly not there.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 12:18 PM ET

Really, because Shanny does it all the time.  cheese

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/28/13 at 12:22 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 01:18 PM ET

I definitely don’t think he shot the puck, but I also definitely don’t think that stick check from Cola that did not touch his hands took away his scoring chance. He wasn’t able to regather the puck when he tried to go backhand but it was not from the stick check, it was because his last touch of the puck was too heavy.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/28/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I agree in game 5 of the Pens/Sens series the Senators got away with a ton of stuff that had the series not been 3-1 they wouldn’t have gotten away with. If it is a Penalty CALL IT!! whether it is 0-0 early in the 1st Pd. or 0-0 late in the 3rd Pd. or OT

Posted by Evilpens on 05/28/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Colaiacovo did exactly what you’re supposed to do when a guy is on a breakaway and has a step on you.  He didn’t hook, hold or trip Frolik.

If you can’t do what Colaiacovo did, then the NHL is saying that there is no way to stop a breakaway unless you’re faster than the opponent.

Posted by Garth on 05/28/13 at 02:03 PM ET

goon's avatar

The shot you posted Pauls shows the puck no where nears Toews.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/28/13 at 02:09 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

The refs always seem to help the underdog or the team that is behind. Like in this case. It’s like playing Sega Rally, if your oppenent hits something its easy to catch up…..

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 05/28/13 at 02:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

The shot you posted Pauls shows the puck no where nears Toews.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/28/13 at 03:09 PM ET

he had just passed it around the boards behind himself.  last I checked, there is an “unwritten rule” of a 3 count after a pass that it’s still legal to check a player…which is why this wasn’t called interference.  now, why it was called tripping is beyond me.

the only thing I can think of is the refs just saw the way Toes’ feet came up off the ice, and assumed the only way that could happen is if they were pulled out from under him by Pavel’s stick.  it’s a horrendous call, one of the worst I’ve seen.  I mean, one of the refs should have been looking right at the play, since the puck had been there.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Been a long, long time since you checked, huh?

Posted by Garth on 05/28/13 at 03:07 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Been a long, long time since you checked, huh?

no, actually.  you think that the instant the puck leaves a player’s stick, it’s interference if you check him?  that’s not the case, of course…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 03:10 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

It’s not a penatly shot, because, as many others have said, that soft whack to the hands/stick happens dozens of times a game and is never called.  A slash is only called when it breaks or sometimes knocks stick out of a guys hands, or is excessively violent.  None of these happened.  There isn’t some special rule when it comes to breakaways, penalties are penalties.  The only difference is, if a penalty is committed on a breakaway, a penalty shot is rewarded.  Problem is, there was no penalty committed under any interpretation of the rules as they are enforced in today’s game.  That’s not a minor for slashing in the pres-season, regular season, or the playoffs.  That was textbook how you defend a player from behind without taking a penalty.  There was no tug on the hands or even the stick.  It was a perfectly timed whack to throw off Frolik, without hooking.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/28/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Cherry’s dead on. Hawks got jobbed out of a penalty shot in game 5.

Posted by larry on 05/28/13 at 03:51 PM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/28/13 at 04:10 PM ET

They give you half of one second now, give or take, and, as someone else noted, it’s been this way for a long, long time.

I don’t think they’ve ever given you 3 and I’m not sure why anyone would be under the impression that that was the old standard.

Posted by larry on 05/28/13 at 03:55 PM ET