Video- T.J. Oshie Will Be “Out For A While”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: t.j.+oshie

Comments

Paul's avatar

Here’s what Warren Foegele told reporters: “I was trying to lift his stick, trying to give him a little nudge. It was a little unfortunate play there, I wasn’t trying to hurt him or anything. I hope he’s OK.”.

via Isabelle Khurshudyan tweet

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/18/19 at 10:13 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...trying to give him a little nudge…

And that’s exactly what he did. Contrary to the whiny announcers (Caps feed?), it was not a “cross-check to the numbers.” His stick barely touched him on the hips. And if you watched it live, you saw the ref behind the net look right at the play and do nothing until he saw Oshie was hurt.

If you want an example of a “cross-check to the numbers,” look at what the Caps player did to the Canes player behind the net with about 1:45 left to play. He intentionally hit him “in the numbers” and drove him into the boards face first. No penalty was called because the guy got back up.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/18/19 at 11:39 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

It’s unfortunate that oshie is injured, but in my mind that’s not a suspension. Nbc studio talking head , Kieth Jones said it should have been a 5 minute major???  If the league is gonna change it’s policy and penalize guys based on how badly someone is injured…I’m ok with that, but don’t pick and choose based on if it’s a star player or a 4th liner.

Funny thing is, I didn’t here a peep out of the nbc studio guys in regards to ovechkin’s stick swing ,( 2 handed baseball style) at the very end of the game..

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/19/19 at 01:06 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I would not even call that a cross check. He gave him a shove, yes but not a cross check.

Some good views here:

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/19/19 at 01:06 AM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/18/19 at 11:39 PM ET

You both bring up good plays. I also saw Ovie twice whacking at Dougie Hamilton’s knees. Ham gave him a shove the second time.

I am not like most, I am not a big Ovie fan. He is a tremendous player and one of the best to ever touch the ice, but he is whiny lil’ bitch and he has taken his fair of cheap shots throughout his career. If he wasn’t such a superstar he would have been suspend a few times. He likes to use his stick on opponents. I saw a lot of it last year also. He is no Lady Byng candidate.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/19/19 at 07:12 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

And BTW, Mrazek keep the Cane’s in that game. He was pretty damn good last night. Good for him.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/19/19 at 07:24 AM ET

I saw that as nothing more than a boarding call. No suspension merited because it wasn’t egregious as he clearly just gave him a slight push.

It’s unfortunate Oshie got injured but penalizing based on the injury is the wrong course of action. I’ve seen much worse boarding calls get nothing extra from the league.

Posted by evileye on 04/22/19 at 11:34 AM ET