Video- Stephen A. Smith On The Comments From John Tortorella

Smith wants Tortorella removed as head coach of Team USA.

Watch below and sorry for the small sized video but you can increase the size in the video player.

If you have issues with viewing the vid, watch it here.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+tortorella, stephen+a+smith

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

I wish this would just fracking die.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/07/16 at 12:29 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

lol, Torts being Torts, needlessly making the story all about himself. I know, I know, someone will tell me that he’d jump through a plate glass window for the motivational genius.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 09/07/16 at 12:32 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 09/07/16 at 12:39 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Torts being Torts, needlessly making the story all about himself.

Yup. I wouldn’t want this guy near my ECHL team.
He’s all about himself. And looking at his perceived lines for Team USA only cements my opinion that he’s a terrible coach.

I still don’t know what C’bus was thinking when they hired him. I’m guessing they’ll be asking themselves the same question when he’s let go 3 months into the 2017 season (probably sooner).

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/07/16 at 01:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Well crap, if Stephen A. Smith is attacking Torotrella, I cant help but find myself on Tortorella’s side, because ANY side features S.A.S. as a voice has GOT to be Wrong.

Posted by Primis on 09/07/16 at 02:23 PM ET

If I showed up to the major national bank that I work for and started making political statements at work, probably wouldn’t work out so well.

Would you get fired if you didn’t stand for the national anthem before you got behind your desk in the morning?

Just curious if there is absolutely any actual correlation in your argument.

I’m not saying you’re full of sh!t I’m just saying that if you wore a Trump pin to work and your boss made you take it off, he could potentially have a very expensive lawsuit on his hands.

As in, your BOSS would be the one who gets into trouble for his actions, not you.

BTW.  Kappernick isn’t forfeiting his America paycheck.  He’s not selling his American homes.

Oh look, it’s the most BS, completely mindless argument ever!

Posted by Garth on 09/07/16 at 02:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Garth on 09/07/16 at 03:57 PM ET

He could absolutely make you take it off. Most companies have written policies that forbid making political (or religious) statements at work. Those are things you do on your time, not on company time.

No company is under any obligation to provide you with a forum for promoting your political beliefs. It would simply be bad business to allow that.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/07/16 at 03:04 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

There are a number of reasons why Torts should not coach any team, much less Team USA.  This is not one of them.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/07/16 at 03:06 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 09/07/16 at 04:06 PM ET

I’d say the fact that he always does or says things that bring tons of extra attention onto a team or specific situation is a pretty decent reason not to hire him.

I could care less about the particulars of what he said here (and really, fwiw, does anyone think there’s even the remotest chance that any of the US players chosen were intending on making a statement during the anthem?). One person is a media headpiece, whose job it is to provide opinions that drive traffic. He did his job and whether anyone agrees or not is immaterial to the team’s preparation. The other person is a coach. Someone that should be concerned with quickly putting together effective line combinations and maybe working on the power play now and then if he can see his way clear of that large ego cloud surrounding his head, rather than overreacting and publicizing impulsive thoughts that could be carefully delivered behind closed doors if he feels so strongly about them.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 09/07/16 at 03:21 PM ET

quote]Oh look, it’s the most BS, completely mindless argument ever!

You must mean the 2nd most BS, mindless argument ever.  A distant second behind, “If you don’t think like the rest of us you are a racist ass”.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/07/16 at 03:21 PM ET

Someone knows the race card is the most deadly card of all.  You can be almost nothing worse at the moment than labeled a racist.  Guess what the San Francisco organization would have been labeled had they cut the irrelevant QB this pre-season?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/07/16 at 03:31 PM ET

g t l

You glossed over the exception to that rule.  It’s ok to be a liberal and have racist opinions. That’s being just being enlightened. Ask Dakkster I’m sure he’d understand.

Posted by SlimChance on 09/07/16 at 03:34 PM ET

blammo's avatar

In my estimation, ex-veteran Jim Wright gives a much better defense of Mr Kaepernick’s action, saying it would be anti-American to deny him of that privilege:

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 09/07/16 at 03:59 PM ET

blammo's avatar

You’re right, I didn’t. I apologize for that. But then I did - very powerful. Much more eloquent and inspiring than Mr Kaeppernick for sure.

But sometimes you have to use the tools you have, when you have them. Colin Kaeppernick is never going to give a speech like that.

And yea, maybe he knows it’s now or never. Whatever.

I agree with him that there is a problem.

He is making people uncomfortable. And talk. And that’s something.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 09/07/16 at 05:01 PM ET

DocF's avatar

“Yep, Torts being Torts and Stephen A. Smith being Stephen A. Smith and me not giving two shits about either of them. A couple feckin blow hards.”

Thus opined by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 09/07/16 at 01:39 PM ET

You have covered the total substance of this matter very well.  I have always felt John Tortorella was 100% pure jerk.  I knew Stephen A. Smith when he was in college and he was 100% pure jerk.  That pretty well summarizes this.

Now I am extremely liberal and I would never intentionally sit through the National Anthem.  I have heard some renditions at NASCAR races that I could not recognize as being the Anthem, but that is another story.  If Kapernick or whatever his name is wishes to make an ass of himself to make what he thinks is a point, so be it.  (Yah, you betcha, eh; I do not follow pro football at all.)

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/07/16 at 05:16 PM ET

My grandfather was a very liberal man. He has been gone for quite some time. What is being categorized as liberal opinions versus conservative opinions has changed quite a bit over the past ten years. No chance in hell he would ever have considered sitting through the national anthem a liberal view. Which is why I feel political affiliation has almost zero to do with this argument.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/07/16 at 06:08 PM ET

The only real thing to say here is that Smith’s actual comments have no merit…

USA Hockey is a private company.  The players do not represent the United States government.  The event is not a government event.  He is just not an intelligent person to put it mildly.  He went out of his way to defend the NBA solely on the fact that they are a ‘private enterprise’, etc., so if we didn’t know where his biases fall, then we do now.  To summarize, not a smart person, but hey, you don’t need to be in order to watch basketball, or comment on it for that matter.  But here we are because he has a microphone and is on ESPN (which I will be watching for the first time since they split with the NHL in a few weeks).  Then I will happily go back to my ESPN-free life.

Posted by brians311 on 09/07/16 at 06:38 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

To be fair, Torts has elaborated since on all this.  I didn’t know his son is an Army Ranger.  Here’s the link to the NHL.com article.

Pavelski, Backes and Suter chime in too.

Torts might be “mindless” enough for some in this article.

So his son is overseas fighting for American freedom’s but doesn’t see the hypocrisy in stepping on someone’s First Amendment rights?

He’s fine with someone expressing their Freedom of Speech just as long as its in the form Torts agrees with? A hockey coach. A bad hockey coach. That’s who should be deciding how the First Amendment needs to be interpreted?
It’s Torts’ right to say what he wants. But he has no right to force his agenda and beliefs down someone else’s throat.
Sounds kind of like the enemy his son is fighting against.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/08/16 at 06:56 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

A couple feckin blow hards.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 09/07/16 at 01:39 PM ET

I didnt realize its your right to say and do anything you wany anyyime you want.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/08/16 at 08:15 AM ET

Okay, this is obviously a gross simplification, and there’s so much case law regarding the first amendment that I don’t know or understand (nor will I ever), but yeah… the gist of the first amendment is that we are all entitled to say what we want.

That doesn’t mean that under private circumstances there won’t be consequences.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/08/16 at 08:57 AM ET