Video- Sidney Crosby Takes A Cross-Check To The Head

Matt Niskanen gets a major and a game, Crosby goes to the room.

added 8:32pm, GIF below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+niskanen

Comments

If that was anyone other than Bettman’s pet; no way that gets called as a game misconduct.

Posted by arcane_caf from NoVa - Outside D.C. on 05/01/17 at 07:10 PM ET

Thag's avatar

Shouldn’t even be two minutes. How is it a high stick if it was well below his shoulders?

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/01/17 at 07:25 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

someone please pull up the Weber non-call on Z to show the refs what a game misconduct is supposed to look like?

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/01/17 at 07:27 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If he’s not falling, it’s a standard cross-check which happens 85 times a game.  How is Niskanen supposed to pull back from the cross-check?  It’s impossible for the onus to be on Nis not to cross check.

My money says Crosby is back in the game later.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/01/17 at 07:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s not even 2 minutes.

Crosby was not in control of himself.  Had he been, there would have been no problem.  Crosby literally ran into Niskanen.

It’s sad how this league doesn’t even hide its machinations to get the desired results.  Shameless.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/17 at 07:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added a GIF to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/01/17 at 07:33 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

How is it a high stick if it was well below his shoulders?

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/01/17 at 08:25 PM ET

Give rule 60 a read and maybe you’ll understand

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/01/17 at 07:43 PM ET

DocF's avatar

The reason this was a game misconduct is that Cindy is the personal pet of The Evil Garden Gnome.  The officials wish to remain employed.  This was at worst a 2 minute penalty.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 05/01/17 at 07:50 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Im not of fan of 87 never will be. It was definitely a cross check (unintentionally) but a cross check none the less.

The penalty was a result of the image of 87 on the ice.  If the guy just puts a shoulder into him as he’s going down….Same result.

It’s Gary and 87’s world…We just live in it.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/01/17 at 07:51 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

wow, well one of the more reasonable comments in a typically bitter thread

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/01/17 at 07:57 PM ET

I’m sure the five and a game verdict was enabled in part by whom got hit and
at Pittsburgh, too; especially when Crosby stays down.

But, even though Crosby is falling awkwardly toward Niskanen and it’s
probably normal instinctually to take a player out around the net front, Niskanen does
finish him with the stick high and you can see the effect in how Crosby’s head
and neck are pushed back.

I’m not going to say it’s an innocent, or average cross check just because the recipient
is Crosby or because (in my view) the league does favor Crosby and the Penguins.
Anyone taking a shot like that with the main impact to the head and neck is worrisome.
Especially when they have a history of head and neck injuries.

Posted by Lefty30 on 05/01/17 at 07:58 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The karma police finally showed up with a warrant.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/01/17 at 08:05 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Ovechkin’s two hander is what started it. In my mind that is the real penalty on the play.

I watch the NHL to see the best players play the game. Anytime a great player goes down it is bad for the game. This will always lead to a double standard of sorts (not fair at all but who ever said life was fair?) When it comes to penalties. As much as I love Darren Helm, he doesn’t put butts in seats like Datsyuk, Lidstrom etc.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/01/17 at 08:55 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Completely disagree.  When Helm is on the ice, I sit in my seat.  When Dats and Lids were on the ice, I couldn’t help but stand wink

Posted by TreKronor on 05/01/17 at 09:00 PM ET

2 minute penalty for sure, perhaps 4.  5 and a game is a joke and only happens because it’s 87 in a Pittsburgh jersey on the receiving end.  Keep NHLing, NHL.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/01/17 at 09:07 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Touché!

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/01/17 at 09:08 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

From the Penguins’ Twitter account...

Coach Sullivan: “We don’t have any updates on our injured guys. They will be evaluated overnight and then we’ll go from there.”

And NHL.com’s Nicholas J. Cotsonika:

Sullivan: No update on Crosby. He’ll be evaluated overnight. Declines to comment on hit.

Sullivan says he’s hopeful Crosby won’t be out a length of time but Penguins have depth to withstand injuries.

What’s the timeline? The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Sam Werner has an idea:

FYI #Pens are scheduled to practice at 12:15 p.m. tomorrow, so that’s when we’d likely get an update on Crosby and Sheary.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/01/17 at 10:20 PM ET

Never called if that’s not Cindy.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/01/17 at 11:33 PM ET

awould's avatar

When Helm is on the ice, I sit in my seat.
I bet you weren’t sitting when this happened.

The slash before was a worse actual penalty because it was intentional. Niskanen’s cross check was unfortunate, Crosby was laid out by the slash, lost control and was falling when Niskanen hit him. You can see on Niskanen’s face when Crosby’s going down, he has the look of a guy who put his hands up to brace for a hit, not a guy who succeeded in taking Crosby’s head off. Should it have been 5 minutes? It was, in fact, a pretty rough hit to the head, but I don’t think it was intentional at all. Ovi’s slash? That was intentional.

The knee may end up being the worst of it. Which would be good news, because if it’s a serious concussion, that may be the last we see of Crosby in the NHL.

I don’t hate Crosby as much as I used to, and I never wished him actual injury, so I hope he’s back. And then I hope the Pens lose.

Posted by awould on 05/01/17 at 11:41 PM ET

Canucklehead's avatar

First off, I hope Crosby’s okay.

Secondly, I don’t think it was an intentional headshot by Niskanen.  I suspect it would have been a regular crosscheck had Crosby not been going down.  He’s not even really looking at Crosby.  He’s following the puck.  Crosby’s loss of balance wasn’t due to the slash, though.  Ovechkin’s and Crosby’s skates collide and that throws his balance off.  Not that the slash wasn’t a penalty in my opinion.

Just an all around ugly looking series of events.  Again, I hope Crosby’s okay.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 05/02/17 at 06:27 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

That slash happens 10 times a game, 99% of the time players don’t fall backwards into someone. (sometimes a guy even loses a fingertip because of it)
A crosscheck to the guy running across your net happens 20 times a game.

It’s certailyarguable they should be called everytime, but they’re not, and the only reasons Niskanen was penalized here were who he’s playing against and the resulting injury, two factors that shouldn’t really matter.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/02/17 at 06:57 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Copy and paste from another thread:

Niskanen is standing there, watching the puck, and gets his arms up to avoid being bowled over by a sprawling Sid. I mean, Niskanen is in front of the net, so standing there is not some sort of crime.

My advice to everyone who thinks Niskanen had some intent to injure: STOP WATCHING IT IN SLOW MOTION.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 08:13 AM ET

So typical of the league. They penalize based on the result not the action. You can certainly call it a cross-check but you can also easily call it a slash.

Posted by evileye on 05/02/17 at 08:42 AM ET

That’s because 99% of the time the player isn’t slashed in the head.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 09:51 AM ET