Video- Shawn Thornton Take Down Of Brooks Orpik

added 10:19pm,

No excuse for what Shawn Thornton did there. Looked to me like he completely lost it after couple borderline hits from Penguins. Cant happen

— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 8, 2013

via NHL.com,

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher in the first period against the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

With play stopped, Orpik and Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton were in a confrontation, and Orpik remained injured on the ice.

Penguins players immediately called for medical assistance.

Thornton and Orpik became involed after Bruins forward Brad Marchand, while on the ice, took a knee to the head from Penguins forward James Neal.

Thornton was assessed a match penalty; he appeared to pull Orpik down and punch him while he was on the ice.

Neal was assessed a two-minute penalty for kneeing.

Bruins forward Loui Eriksson left the game after his first shift following a hit from Orpik.

Watch the incident below... added 8:36pm, both Boston and Pittsburgh broadcasts can be viewed below...

added 8:40pm, Orpik hit on Eriksson added below too...

Boston broadcast...

Pittsburgh broadcast...

Orpik hit on Eriksson...

added 10:01pm, Recap of all the incidents in the game..

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shawn+thornton

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Paul's avatar

from TSN,

The ball is now in the court of Brendan Shanahan and the NHL Department of Player Safety as the league will look to mete out supplementary discipline.

But what does each player deserve?

The chain of events was set in motion by Orpik’s hit and his refusal to engage with Thornton.

One of the league’s heavyweights, Thornton has never been suspended before in his career, but his attack on Orpik was clearly premeditated by what happened earlier in the shift.

Also to consider is an interview that Thornton did that ran earlier this week on ESPN.com.

Asked about the future of fighting in the NHL, Thornton positioned himself as a proponent of “the code.”

“I’ve been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around,” Thornton told ESPN. “If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.”

Should Thornton’s comments be taken into account when it comes to determining a suspension for the player?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 09:49 PM ET

Chet's avatar

i don’t care about either one of these teams, so my unbiased view is this:

orpik’s hit on eriksson is borderline. i only watched it once but it looked like a blindside head shot. it’s far from the worst i’ve ever seen.

neal’s knee into the head of marchand was totally avoidable and was bush league.

thornton assaulting orpik was a response to those things, not that that makes it anything close to OK. it was a very, very bad play and is unquestionably going to get him suspended for a good chunk of games. i don’t know thornton’s history so won’t speculate about how many.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/07/13 at 09:49 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

And did I just get blocked by Evilpens?  OMFG, I’m so proud!!!

I think just me so far, but your day in the sun may be coming.

I probably should have waited before my snarky remark, so sorry about that.  It’s frustrating to watch this happen, but the Pens don’t necessarily help themselves.  I do hope Neal gets suspended but damn, the excuses from others for Thornton is ridiculous, and for the most part goes back to games from almost five years ago that hinders some from talking about things rationally.

That’s understandable.  And in retrospect, pinning a piece of the blame on a team whose fanbase just saw a popular defenseman stretchered off after a brutal attack was probably not the classiest move I could’ve made, even if I do stand by the things I said, they probably could’ve waited till the hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing threads begin tomorrow.  It just sucks, all of it.  It sucks that we watch a league where Neal’s knee is the second dirtiest thing that happened in a minute’s time.  It sucks that we watch a league where there’s even a possibility that a guy like Orpik could be attacked from behind and left unconscious with no chance at defending himself.  This attack is, in that way, worse than Bertuzzi-Moore.  Moore knew Bertuzzi was there and was skating away. I don’t know that Orpik even saw Thornton coming until he pulled him down.  It’s distasteful and horrible.

I’m far from an Orpik fan, but I hope he is better than I expect and that he comes back from this.  Even if I dislike the guy, and his team, it’s a hell of a shitty way to go out.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:50 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I just spent several minutes watching the hit by Orpik on Eriksson.  A clean, hard hit with the puck in the general vicinity.  That is fine and dandy.  But the thug Thornton wants to do a beat down.  That is pure crap.  What he did at the next opportunity was assault and battery with intent to do great bodily harm.

The knee to Neal’s head was possibly intentional.  Are we going to give the players a lie detector test at rinkside to determine if something like this was intentional or incidental?  I think not.

Upon further thought, Thornton should be suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/07/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Legal isn’t exactly the same thing as clean.

For all intents and purposes yes, it is the same thing.

What I’m saying is Orpik has a history if borderline hits and no one has ever gone after him. No I don’t wish his career to be ended like Moore’s, but it is high time someone do something to the guy.

Well, for the sake of the Red Wings and Niklas Kronwall I hope nobody does “something” like this for his history of borderline hits.

Posted by Garth on 12/07/13 at 09:59 PM ET

Chet's avatar

no, it’s a shoulder to the guy’s head. not clean.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/07/13 at 10:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added a 4th video to the post, basically a recap of all the incidents in the game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 10:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Joe Haggerty tweets,

Shawn Thornton in near tears after game: “I made a mistake. I can’t say I’m sorry enough times. That’s all I can say right now”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 10:09 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bruins announce Eriksson has a concussion.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 10:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

another Tard AMWings fan Blocked As Brian Metzer a former Pens Blogger here stated “RW fans are Jagoffs ! Jagoffs is Pittsburghese for JACKOFFS !

I understand your team is on the downside now & the City of Detroit is Bankrupt & basically as safe as Ben Ghazi Libya BUT Good Lord

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 09:30 PM ET

What a child you are.

Posted by calquake on 12/07/13 at 10:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from TSN,

Following James Neal’s knee on Brad Marchand and Shawn Thornton’s slew foot and punches to Brooks Orpik in the first period of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Boston Bruins game on Saturday, TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie weighed in on the two incidents on Twitter.

“I’m no rocket surgeon but have to think Shawn Thornton will get in-person hearing for knocking down Brooks Orpik and KOing him while down. I’d also imagine NHL [Department of] Player Safety will be looking hard at James Neal’s knee to head of Brad Marchand for possible supplementary discipline.”

McKenzie also addressed Orpik’s initial hit on Loui Eriksson and his refusal to fight Thornton that precipitated the two incidents to follow.

“Orpik’s hit on Eriksson was hockey play, could’ve been minor for interference, but well within context of game action. Orpik shouldn’t necessarily be obliged to answer the bell to Thornton on that hit. It wasn’t that egregious.”

McKenzie believes Thornton will have a tough time explaining his actions.

“Thornton will have no defence for taking down Orpik and even less for punching him while he was down and not prepared to defend himself.

As for Neal, there could be more room for a benefit of the doubt based on actual intent.

“Neal on Marchand may or may not have been sneaky dirty or accidentally on purpose, but that’s for NHL Player Safety to determine.

McKenzie also gave a final assessment on both.

“[My] guess is Thornton and Neal will both get suspended with Thornton somewhere between six games and double digits. Neal’s number of games may hinge on Marchand’s status.

Marchand did not leave the game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 10:26 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

hahahaha & Another ones gone & another ones gone

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Paul Haggerty is a Hack Tony just tweeted this TheConfluence @TheConfluence
Just saw the NESN interview… .Where are the *#$%@& tears ???  Way to exaggerate things, Boston media….

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 10:29 PM ET

Whatever evilpens, when someone acts like that, I just say I hope they get the same treatment they are defending. I would be happy to see you kneed in the head hard enough you flip over, since this is appropriate interaction to you.

Some shit does not belong in the game. Thornton’s thugism, orpik and marchand’s frequent borderline hits, and Neal kneeing marchand in the head when he was already down. I like to watch good hockey, not illegal assault.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 10:30 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

you are clueless BUH-BYE

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Here’s the deal:  The NHL is losing me.  It boggles me that this nonsense still continues.

Guys like Rinaldo and Thornton and pieces of sh**.  Plain and simple.  There’s no “hockey play”, and it’s not an agreed upon fight.  They’re just human pieces of sh**.

As I noted earlier: they’re not being discouraged form doing this stuff.  The price they’re paying is one they quite frankly are more than willing to pay.  Some games?  Some money? That’s cool with them apparently.  Rinaldo specifically has been an offender of about every single disciplinary scenario you can come up with.

The league needs to start HAMMERING these guys.  Ban them for the season, AND cost their team draft picks or cap space.  The punishment has to be so, so much harsher, it has to cost so much more than it is right now.

But if the NHL is not going to take care of this and let these incidents just continue to happen the fans will start turning away and tuning out.

Posted by Primis on 12/07/13 at 10:33 PM ET

Absolutely agree Primis. Players don’t respect each other as humans, so the league needs to step in, but has never been willing in the past. The idea neither of these guys gets significant suspensions makes me hate the nhl more.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 10:40 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Initial hit from Orpik on Eriksson seemed liked a poorly timed hit.  Didn’t look high, but the video I saw was poor angle.

What Neal did is one of the dirtiest plays Ive seen since the Pronger stomp or Weber pounding Z’s head into the boards.  I can’t believe that its not the bigger issue in all of this.

And what Thornton did was pretty gutless, but its also hard to see how Orpik is really seriously injured from 2 half ass jabs.  Suspendable, yes.  Bring out the stretcher bad, I’m not so sure.  Neal should get the longest suspension out of all this, but he probably won’t see any further punishment.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/08/13 at 12:31 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 12/07/13 at 09:59 PM ET

Oh come on, has Kronwall ever stuck his knee out when he hit a guy?

Hell, Kronwall already got some ‘retribution’ earlier this year.

But this isn’t about him, this is about Orpik.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/08/13 at 12:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Brooks Orpik was released from the hospital Saturday night and is traveling to Pittsburgh with the team.

ESPN.com

I figured it was overblown.  Gutless play from Thornton, but no way he injured Orpik to the point of needing immediate medical attention.

But at least it distracts from Neal trying to end a players career.

And all of this should make any lawsuit regarding post concussion complications null and void.  Its not the NHL causing these injuries, its the players lack of respect for each other.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/08/13 at 12:41 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I don’t understand why people are taking this view.  He hit him bareknuckle when he was in a prone position with Thornton kneeling over him.  That’s an extremely vulnerable position where your body can’t absorb some of the impact because there’s ice underneath you (normally when you take a punch, you kinda sway with it) and where the aggressor has a lot more punching strength than he would standing up.

Look at an MMA fight and how quick knockouts happen in a ground and pound situaiton; and those guys are wearing gloves.  Bare-knuckle from a behemoth like Thornton?  Orpik was unconscious.  Anytime you’re unconscious you should get immediate medical attention.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/08/13 at 01:36 AM ET

Chet's avatar

hootinani, watch the video. orpik is out cold from the first punch.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/08/13 at 01:50 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Thornton had his gloves on, Shane. Otherwise I agree. A very bad “play” - this was some UFC shit.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/08/13 at 01:51 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I missed that.  From one of the views I saw, I think he maybe actually hit him with his elbow pad.  I don’t have that link any more; it was a site with like twenty gifs of the incident.  Will look for it tomorrow.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/08/13 at 02:40 AM ET

And Orpik’s hit was absolutely clean.  The puck was at Eriksson’s feet when Orpik hit him.

Oh, come on.  Hitting him was fine.  That he chose to drive his shoulder into Eriksson’s head as the manner in which he hit is the dirty part of the play, and why he was subsequently obliterated.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/08/13 at 04:40 AM ET

And as a bit of a self-reflective aside for you all, the only difference between the Thornton incident and one of our most celebrated and loved on-ice events in history is that Lemieux didn’t get knocked out after McCarty’s first punch.

Ware piety.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/08/13 at 04:47 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Orpik:

3-6-06 suspended 3 games
10-11-03 suspended 1 game

He’s a cheapshot goon that should of fought when confronted.

Now he is a cheapshot part-time goon/pest.

He’s no angel.

Thornton lost his mind though and will get punished for this….......4 game suspension to equal Orpik’s career would be fair.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 12/08/13 at 07:54 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Legal isn’t exactly the same thing as clean.

For all intents and purposes yes, it is the same thing.

Now I get it, as long something is lawful it’s clean, slavery was clean while it was legal. Logic A+

How about you put your head between Orpik’s head and Thornton’s fist?

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 12/08/13 at 09:11 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

for all the Geniuses thinking Orpik was faking

Posted by Evilpens on 12/08/13 at 10:44 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Neal remains the worst actor in this play because what he did was dirty, uncalled for, and outside of the scope of hockey AND he’s lying by saying he didn’t mean to do it.

Thornton will get more punishment because what he did embarrassed the league more, but James Neal is the kind of dirtbag that makes teams want to employ players like Shawn Thornton.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/08/13 at 10:45 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

He did not hit him bareknuckle.  His gloves never came off.

for all the Geniuses thinking Orpik was faking

Posted by Evilpens on 12/08/13 at 10:44 AM ET

Didnt say he was faking, I said the reaction was overblown.  If Orpik cant take 2 short jabs from a gloved hand, then he should be escorted off the ice and encased in bubble wrap

Meanwhile Marchand takes a knee to the head at speed, and he gets one trainer coming out to tell him to rub some dirt on it and get back to playing.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/08/13 at 11:21 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 12/08/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Yeah yeah, Internet Tough Guy.

Posted by SK77 on 12/08/13 at 11:48 AM ET

It’s just incredible the grudges people hold from games that occurred 5 years ago.  Just amazing….It will be great to see the reaction whenever Kronwall lights up someone from the B’s and Thornton does this to him.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/08/13 at 01:56 PM ET

Posted by Hootinani on 12/08/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Yes, it was the first time ever at a sporting event that they were cautious with a player knocked unconscious.  What an idiotic post…

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/08/13 at 02:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s a really cool thing to root for from up on your high horse.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/08/13 at 02:11 PM ET

Orpik needed to fight after this hit to defuse the situation. It was obvious this game was going off the rails after the first shift.

Kronwall apologists ripping Orpik for not fighting after an unpenalized bodycheck is awful rich, however.

Posted by larry on 12/08/13 at 11:32 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m a dyed-in-the-wool RED WINGS homer, first class. The Orpik hit on Eriksson looks clean from the angle Paul posted. It looks like a shoulder to shoulder hit. If there’s an angle that shows a headshot, I’d absolutely support revising my position. This was a timing check and it was perfectly placed.

This is no different that the hits Kronwall has made time and time again. That said, hits that cause concussions should be removed from the game entirely.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/09/13 at 12:48 PM ET