Video- Shawn Thornton Take Down Of Brooks Orpik

added 10:19pm,

No excuse for what Shawn Thornton did there. Looked to me like he completely lost it after couple borderline hits from Penguins. Cant happen

— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 8, 2013

via NHL.com,

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher in the first period against the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

With play stopped, Orpik and Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton were in a confrontation, and Orpik remained injured on the ice.

Penguins players immediately called for medical assistance.

Thornton and Orpik became involed after Bruins forward Brad Marchand, while on the ice, took a knee to the head from Penguins forward James Neal.

Thornton was assessed a match penalty; he appeared to pull Orpik down and punch him while he was on the ice.

Neal was assessed a two-minute penalty for kneeing.

Bruins forward Loui Eriksson left the game after his first shift following a hit from Orpik.

Watch the incident below... added 8:36pm, both Boston and Pittsburgh broadcasts can be viewed below...

added 8:40pm, Orpik hit on Eriksson added below too...

Boston broadcast...

Pittsburgh broadcast...

Orpik hit on Eriksson...

added 10:01pm, Recap of all the incidents in the game..

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shawn+thornton

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Rdwings28's avatar

Wow. Bs on both sides

Posted by Rdwings28 on 12/07/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Couple of Questionable Hits?????????????????????????  Orpik Caught Ericcsaon with Head down & Thornton wanted to fight & Orpik wouldn’t because it was clean hit & I understand that Ericcson had a Concussion earlier & they had Boychuk stretchered off BUT that was *#$%@& BULLSHIT ! That BULLSHIT of having to fight after a Clean Hit is BULLSHIT

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 08:39 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

todd bertuzzi much?

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 12/07/13 at 08:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added the Orpik hit to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 08:44 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Marchand gets kneed in the head by someone…and Orpik accidentally (least it looks accidental) catches the guys head with his shoulder…

All that said, karma is a bitch Orpik.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/07/13 at 08:47 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Just want to add that Neal did get called for kneeing on Marchand.  But I agree, he should face some disciplinary action as well.  Nothing close to what Thornton’s going to get though.

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/07/13 at 08:52 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

As a fan of a new member of the East conference, this pretty much sums up my feelings here:

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 08:53 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

yah karmas a bitch.  Moore head hit and concussed naslund and he declined to fight, and got bertuzzied.  Orpik same thing.  I wonder how much trouble thornton is going to get into, I highly doubt it is going to be as big an issue as bertuzzi.  both got suckerpunched from behind and hit their head on the ice.  Like to see how the NHL deals with this.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 12/07/13 at 08:53 PM ET

Tony's avatar

And Orpik’s hit was absolutely clean.  The puck was at Eriksson’s feet when Orpik hit him.

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/07/13 at 08:53 PM ET

Neal needs to be suspended for like 20 games. Inexcusable to knee a player in the head who is already down on the ice. I’m not sure it shouldn’t be considered assault with intent to injure and a full year suspension. You can tell he gets hit hard because his body turns around on the ice. The guy who slashed Marchand’s legs out from under him should have received a minor as well.

IF Eriksson doesn’t touch the puck, Orpik should have gotten a 2 or 5 minute penalty for interference. If Eriksson touches the puck, the hit is technically legal and shouldn’t have any issues as a result of the hit. But I will say that I have frequently felt that Orpik was borderline in the way he does a lot of his hits. He goes high and as far as I’m concerned, is looking to hurt players, not just make a hard hit. But, Thorton going after him the way he does, that’s not right either.

Hopefully Shanahan gets a hold of this and is able to suspend people for a long, long time, because there’s stuff from both teams that is bad, wrong, and just plain dirty and should be completely removed from the game.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 08:54 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Btw, I know people get all emtional and shit, when someone goes out on a stretcher, but am I the only one thinking somethink weird happened?

Those 2 punches thrown by Thornton didnt seen enough to get someone on a stretcher, for me

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 08:54 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Not a whole lot to like in any of those videos. Orpik’s hit on Eriksson wasn’t great to watch, but at least borderline. Neal’s kneeing of Marchand was total horseshit and deserves a suspension. And then Thornton tops ‘em all with his Caveman of the Year routine.

Posted by SK77 on 12/07/13 at 08:54 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

“Well that escalated quickly…”

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/07/13 at 08:55 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 08:54 PM ET

One of those two caught him flush on the chin, knocked him out….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/07/13 at 08:56 PM ET

I would say calling Orpik’s hit absolutely clean is quite a bit of a stretch. Like, complete fabrication, perhaps. And would only be said by someone who has some serious blinders on. And is a complete homer. Legal isn’t exactly the same thing as clean.

Just sayin.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 08:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What I’m saying is Orpik has a history if borderline hits and no one has ever gone after him. No I don’t wish his career to be ended like Moore’s, but it is high time someone do something to the guy.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/07/13 at 08:58 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 08:54 PM ET

First punch, no problem. But with that second one you’ve got Orpik with the back of his head against the ice while Thornton clocks him in the face from about six inches away.  That’s some UFC crap right there.

Posted by SK77 on 12/07/13 at 08:58 PM ET

Chet's avatar

UFC indeed. the league’s gotta come down hard on that.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/07/13 at 09:00 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

One of those two caught him flush on the chin, knocked him out….

Posted by Tony

Still, it didnt look that serious… I hope the dude is “ok”

I still think the knee on the head was worse than what Thornton did
If I was responsible for the suspension, I would give thornton maybe half of what Neal would get

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 09:01 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

UFC indeed. the league’s gotta come down hard on that.

Posted by Chet

Really?  I would rather have the league take out the knee to the head… Without that play, none of them happen

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 09:02 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Wow, that was hard to watch.  The Neal hit on Marchand was terrible.  That’d attempt to injure without a doubt.  Definite suspension coming, right?

But then Thornton?  It looks like Orpik is out after the first punch when he’s down on the ice and Thornton clocks him again.  You can see Orpik’s arm coming up and over but I don’t think that’s of his own volition; the momentum is carrying him that way.  He seemed to be out cold.

Thornton has to get a huge, huge number here, right?  20+?

That said…

The hit on Eriksson (seriously, I know you don’t mind presenting yourself as incapable of communicating coherently but his name is spelled out a couple dozen times above) was definitely borderline at best.  I’d go ahead and say dirty.  He didn’t catch him “with Head down” as you said, he caught him “without a chance at possession of the puck”.  That’s a hit you should probably let up on.  You don’t need to blow him up to separate him from the puck- he never had the puck or a chance at it, so why do it?  And after that, what the hell is Chara doing going airborn to hit Dupuis then just going after the nearest Penguin (Kunitz) available when he misses?

And then when Orpik is down, what the heck was Julien yelling at the Penguins for?  Sure, Neal had an egregiously dirty hit on the play but your own player just Bertuzzi’d someone.  Get your team in order and try to set an example for christ’s sake so the rest of the game doesn’t turn into Slapshot.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Penguins release…

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he is alert and conscious.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 09:04 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Just sayin.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 08:57 PM ET

I ain’t no homer, objective as they come.  Ask anyone here.

The puck was right near Eriksson’s feet as Orpik started his check.  But yes, the puck ended up going just behind him.

That situation happens every night in the NHL.  Not to the extent that the player who got checked was injured, but those “neighborhood” plays where the puck is near the player and still gets checked.

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/07/13 at 09:04 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Still, it didnt look that serious… I hope the dude is “ok”

Watch again. He’s out cold, completely unconscious, before the last hit lands.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:05 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OH you won the Internet for the Day Chucklehead I was typing while watching to see if another Bruin would assault a Penguin on the ice. Misspelled a word Grammar Nazi ! YOU GO GIRL !!!!

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 09:09 PM ET

Chet's avatar

orpik was out cold, no doubt.

as for the eriksson hit, it’s not a question of timing, it’s also still a blind side head shot.

wonder how the rest of that game’s gonna go…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/07/13 at 09:14 PM ET

The video of the orpik hit on Eriksson was poor enough I couldn’t see it well, but it possibly looked high to me. I’m not sure the head was not also gotten. As shanetx says, Eriksson didn’t really have a chance to play the puck, so, legal? Maybe. Clean? Not really. Orpik needs someone to go after him to discourage dirty or borderline his because the nhl obviously isn’t going to do anything about it.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 09:17 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind seeing chara rag doll Neal a little. He needs a serious beat down. Someone needs to absolute pulverize him in fight. And I’m not usually pro-fighting, but someone needs to let Neal know it’s unacceptable. Again, the league wheel of justice probably won’t do anything to him.

Posted by teldar on 12/07/13 at 09:22 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

A name of a key participant in a series of events is a fairly important part to get right, especially when it’s right there available for you multiple times, but to each his own.  The name calling, though?  Really?  Grow up.  And while you’re at it, don’t pretend the Penguins are innocent in this.  Neal is especially culpable.  This is just the logical path of escalation for the style of play the Penguins have endorsed and participated in for years.  But hey, let’s all look at the bright side; maybe we’ll get another pretentious letter from St. Mario out of it.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:22 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Pretty good read.  I think some of the blame needs to be pointed out Bettman’s subservience to the ownership of two of these thug teams (Flyers and Bruins) and how that’s led to the style of play we see any more.  I don’t think Pittsburg is necessarily a team that ever really wanted to play a dirty game; they’ve got enough fragile skilled players that they’d probably much rather have a clean game to play in, but they sure do rise to level of and participate in the borderline hits and questionable thuggery.  That’s the biggest shame of this Bettman era.  You almost have to participate wholesale or you’re going to be taking a beating with no recourse because the Refs don’t have the guts to call it square.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:29 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

another Tard AMWings fan Blocked As Brian Metzer a former Pens Blogger here stated “RW fans are Jagoffs ! Jagoffs is Pittsburghese for JACKOFFS !

I understand your team is on the downside now & the City of Detroit is Bankrupt & basically as safe as Ben Ghazi Libya BUT Good Lord

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 09:30 PM ET

Yes, yes all on the Pens.  The Bruins are never in this situation with other teams.

Neal deserves and should be suspended.  Regardless of the hit, no one deserves to be stretchered off the ice.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/07/13 at 09:30 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) aren’t you a Tough One Missy

Posted by Evilpens on 12/07/13 at 09:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Please keep this on topic and this is not a post on Wings/Pens talk, comparisons etc.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/13 at 09:34 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Oh, I certainly don’t put it all on the Pens.  The Bruins are in a class of idiot teams with the Flyers and the Pronger-era Ducks that are just completely outside of the rules and know it and also know the referees will never call the games properly so there’s no real downside.  I do think the Penguins fans, if they’re the least bit impartial, can probably see that there team isn’t full of Lady Byng candidates.  I would have thought a pretty constant fear for a Penguins fan would be the retaliation for a Neal-type hit would be seeing Crosby carted off a period later.  This time it was Orpik, but you had to know that sort of thing was possible right?  I’m in no way excusing Thornton; they should throw him out and not let him back for a long, long, long time.

More food for thought, from a tumbler I found trying to determine of Thornton had ever been suspended before, http://shawnthorntonsays.tumblr.com/ :

“Sometimes my wires touch, and I don’t really remember things.”

Shawn Thornton, on what he yelled from the penalty box

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:35 PM ET

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/07/13 at 09:29 PM ET

I probably should have waited before my snarky remark, so sorry about that.  It’s frustrating to watch this happen, but the Pens don’t necessarily help themselves.  I do hope Neal gets suspended but damn, the excuses from others for Thornton is ridiculous, and for the most part goes back to games from almost five years ago that hinders some from talking about things rationally.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/07/13 at 09:38 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Fact:  Thornton took Orpik down and then bashed his head into the ice.  That is absolute thuggery.

Now if I know the Evil Garden Gnome, he will interfere in the review and discipline process and Thornton will get the mandatory suspension for a match penalty and nothing more.

What Thornton deserves is at least 40 game suspension.  Orpik earned nothing, nor did Neal.  Incidental contact.  When I have anything good to say about Orpik, you should know it is a one-sided deal.  I loathe the man.  He went out of his way to try and kill Erik Cole (then of the Hurricanes) several years ago.  Even he does not deserve this stunt.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/07/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Regardless of the hit, no one deserves to be stretchered off the ice.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore

Well, some people do deserve…  sometimes

And did I just get blocked by Evilpens?  OMFG, I’m so proud!!!

Posted by Zqto on 12/07/13 at 09:40 PM ET

I actually had that thought after Orpiks hit on Eriksson.  It’s always a concern, but luckily hasn’t happened.  All it takes is one, and it’s a huge concern when you see idiots like Rinaldo do what they do best like earlier today.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/07/13 at 09:42 PM ET