Video- Raffi Torres Hit On Jarret Stoll

from Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider,

Darryl Sutter declined to offer specifics on the nature of Stoll’s absence, though he pointedly indicated it wasn’t because he was being rested.

“You know what? I didn’t play Jarret in the third period, and he wasn’t resting, so that pretty well tells you, doesn’t it? If you ask that question about injuries every day, you get here early, see who’s on the ice, see who’s not, and you know. That’s who’s available and who isn’t,” Sutter responded to a question on Stoll’s status.

Both Torres and San Jose coach Todd McLellan downplayed the incident.

“To be honest, I didn’t really think it was even going to be a penalty,” Torres told reporters after the game. “They called it charging, but I don’t feel launched myself. I took a step and a half and glided into him. Obviously, he was leaning over. I still feel like I got shoulder to his shoulder, and then it looked – because he was leaning over – that I came up a little high…I hope he’s all right.”

“A clean hit, not even a charging penalty in my opinion,” McLellan said.

more and watch the hit below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jarret+stoll, raffi+torres

Comments

phillyd's avatar

I’m sorry, that one is shoulder to shoulder. Almost looks like there heads hit?

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/15/13 at 06:53 AM ET

If I pause at one point it looks like shoulder caught the head, if I pause at another it looks like helmet on helmet.  Either way it was a hit on a vulnerable player that wasn’t lined up very well, and caused Stoll to miss the rest of the game.  That’s pretty much everything that the NHL is not looking kindly on this postseason right or wrong.  Given Torres history I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he got 5-10 games.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/15/13 at 07:14 AM ET

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/15/13 at 07:53 AM ET

Must be nice to see what you want to see.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 07:26 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Valek on 05/15/13 at 08:14 AM ET

Yeah, at :38 and :39 it’s really close. Pausing it there it still looks shoulder to shoulder but Stoll’s head is basically on his shoulder so it’s being impacted at the same time.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 08:26 AM ET

If you go back and look at my comments on these hits you’ll see that I generally side on the one getting hit and call for suspensions. I disagreed with Fraser on his assessment of the hit in the Ottawa series and felt that was a direct hit to the head. To me, this one is close to that, but it still looks shoulder to shoulder and the helmets hit, but like Valek said, it’s so-so close. Given his history, the Shanaban may side more on the suspension worthy side.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/15/13 at 07:43 AM ET

Torres is a POS.

Posted by timbits on 05/15/13 at 07:45 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Precedent has been set in the first round.  Two games.  Though he’s a repeat offender.  Make that three games.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/15/13 at 07:52 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat offender.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 08:13 AM ET

I thought this was very similar to the gryba hit or whatever from Ottawa. Actually, I thought the hit in the Ottawa game was worse. From one angle on that hit I could see the head change momentum before the body changed.
On this one… Very similar. Hard to say the head was targeted, but it wad hit basically at the same time add the body. People need to lean to go for hip checks, but that takes better timing.

Posted by teldar on 05/15/13 at 09:16 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Reports are Torres will have a hearing with the NHL.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Kerry Fraser at TSN,

There appears to be no malicious intent by Torres on the play. Stoll is eligible to be checked on the play and Torres does not extend an elbow or launch into the head of Stoll. However, Torres’ route is not correct and he does not make enough of a full body check for this hit not to qualify as an illegal check to the head. In attempting this check, Torres does not hit squarely enough through the body. Stoll’s head is the principle point of contact and the subsequent contact to Stoll’s right shoulder is secondary.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/13 at 11:52 AM ET

I’ve seen worst head hits than that and that’s gonna require a disciplinary hearing because Torres is a repeat offender?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/15/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

I’ve always liked Torres as a player going back to his Edmonton days.  Maybe a poorly timed penalty here & there but always gave 100% ... always played physical ... always became the pain in the ass every team needs.

Just because he’s thick and has a low center of gravity and ends up getting the best of most of his hits everybody thinks he’s a “dirty” player.

Another clean hit that’s going to have a punishment attached to it because they want to eliminate all hitting.  Teach him a lesson ... yeah right.

And the pussification of the NHL marches on ........

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/15/13 at 02:44 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

..and Cooke has just sharpened his skates again…

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/15/13 at 03:03 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

And the pussification of the NHL marches on ........

Are you seriously suggesting Raffi Torres is not a dirty player?  Do you actually watch hockey?

Torres on Hossa:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4  Look around 1:00 in.  His leading foot is about 8” off the ice at point of impact.

Torres on Michalek:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KC91Wuz2k  About the clearest targetting of head you’ll see.

Torres on Seabrook:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WtPF8eVCM  Shoulder to the jaw.

Torres on Hejda:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckGdkYJsCg  Totally unnecessary hit seconds after the puck is gone, just a ‘casual’ elbow to the head

Torres on Pacioretty:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmydaqYfCa0&NR=1&feature=endscreen  The leaping is understandable here, though, right?  If dude’s taller than you sometimes you gotta JUMP to hit him in the head?  oh wait….

Eberle:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWu2gyZ6XcE