Video- Milan Lucic Received A Match Penalty Late In The 5-1 Loss To The Sharks

from Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider,

Milan Lucic, on his altercation with Logan Couture:

Just a little hit. I didn’t like it, so I reacted to it. I don’t know why I got a match penalty. I didn’t cross any line, so obviously I deserved a penalty, but I don’t know why it was called a match penalty. At the end of the day, I don’t care who it is on the other side. If you’re going to hit someone like that, you could easily injure someone, it doesn’t matter what the situation is. I’m definitely going to react to it. That’s basically it. Five-one game, you don’t want to lose any game like that, never mind your first game at home, first game in five months. I hope that and everything is a wake-up call that we need to get things going right away. We just need to bring more emotion to the game on Friday.

Lucic, on Darryl Sutter saying that it shouldn’t have even been a roughing penalty:

I don’t want to disagree with him, but it might have been a roughing penalty, and that’s about it.

more from Lucic...

Watch the play below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: milan+lucic

Comments

The match penalty was probably more of precaution on the part of the refs. Lucic has a reputation, so they figured they get him out of the game before something worse happens.
But in reality, this is maybe a 10 minute misconduct penalty but not a match penalty

Posted by George0211 on 10/08/15 at 08:03 AM ET

I hate Milan Lucic as much as the next guy, but a match penalty with deliberate attempt to injure?  Automatic next game suspension pending league review?  That’s absurd.  There’s worse crap that happens after the whistle in every game.

Granted it was stupid for Lucic to skate the width of the ice to go after Couture, but what exactly was Couture doing throwing a hit like that coming out of the box with a minute and a half left in a game his team was up 5-1?  Sure Couture got what looked like a head butt from Brown earlier in the game, if the scoreboard isn’t enough payback then take it out on Brown.

Why am not surprised something like this would happen with those two clown teams involved.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/08/15 at 09:23 AM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

Yeah, in agreement with the rest. Lucic will get no love from any Wings fans, but there was nothing even close to match penalty there. It was a clean hit, and that’s what happens when you try to jump over a hit like that, but he skated over a shoved him a bit. Can’t imagine he needs to sit out any games for that.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 10/08/15 at 09:30 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If you’re going to hit someone like that, you could easily injure someone

Pretty rich from the ball sack spearing POS that he is.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/08/15 at 09:57 AM ET

It was a clean hit by Couture.  This is exactly why filthy animals like Lucic need to removed from the NHL.  Let him go play in some beer league somewhere where everybody will fear him and he won’t get hit.  There’s nothing I hate more than fake tough guys that are actually the biggest crybabies.

Posted by Wise1 on 10/08/15 at 10:09 AM ET

Really nice hit by Couture, definitely a penalty for Lucic.

Sutter sounds like a fool trying to say it shouldn’t have been a penalty.

Posted by Garth on 10/08/15 at 10:34 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Back in the early 50s, the linesmen would not have been able to rescue Lucic.  He would have been dragged into the bench and beaten with intent.

Yes, this desrved a match penalty; when a player chases another across the rink to have “revenge” on a great hip check, he should get a match penalty.  He also should get 4-5 games suspension.  And I would say that if the clown was a Red Wing.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 10/08/15 at 11:16 AM ET

I agree Doc. It’s ridiculous that Lucic is going to go headhunting for revenge for a clean hip check. It sould like Lucic isn’t used to being hit and was out of his mind angry. I"m glad the refs decided to send a message that retaliation for an absolutely clean hip check isn’t going to be tolerated. Now all the refs have to do is use this as an example of how to do it when an initial check is clean and get rid of some of the extracurricular crap that happens all the time when there is actually a clean check.

Posted by teldar on 10/08/15 at 03:42 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Not sure I like the blind hit on Lucic from Coulture coming out of the box - Lucic didn’t have control of the puck at that point.

REGARDLESS, this is exactly why I picked up Lucic in fantasy hockey.  If he puts up 20 goals playing with Kopitar that’s nice and all, but he’ll win me PIMs and Hit categories every single week smile

Posted by TreKronor on 10/08/15 at 03:42 PM ET

I hate guys who can dish out hits but can’t take them.  Couture’s hip check was a bit sneaky coming out of the box, but absolutely clean.  Lucic should only be mad at himself and his teammates for not being aware there’s a player coming out of the box.  I think a match penalty is pretty severe, but he did chase down a player who’s no longer part of the play the width of the ice with the intention of getting a piece of him.  I think a two for roughing and ten misconduct just to get that idiot out of the game would suffice.

Couture, who’s not known to be a tough guy, takes a headbutt to the face and just plays on.  Lucic, supposedly one of the toughest guys in the league, takes a clean hit and loses his head.  I think we need to redefine what being tough in hockey means.

Posted by fallenaeon on 10/08/15 at 06:11 PM ET

Not sure I like the blind hit

So now hitting a guy from directly in front of him as he’s skating forward is blind?

My goodness gracious…

Posted by Garth on 10/09/15 at 09:36 AM ET

pautna's avatar

Hitting an unsuspecting player while coming out the box is like throwing a sucker punch from behind. In Logan’s case he did that then ran away like a little bitch. So for those that think a little bitch sucker punch constitutes a “great hit”, I think that’s kind of sad.

@Garth Did Lucic see Logan coming out of the box? No. Blind hit then, right? (for reference listen to what the announcer says around the :53 mark of the video)

Posted by pautna on 10/09/15 at 03:25 PM ET

So now any time a player has his head down, you should kindly step out of the way and let him get through the neutral zone.  It’s not fair to expect a professional hockey player to keep his head up.  Or his teammates on the ice and bench, to tap their stick or yell out to let him know the penalty is expiring.

It’s unbelievable that people are coming to the defense of Lucic, who took a clean check by a player who weighs significantly less than him, all because Lucic didn’t see it coming.  Maybe if Lucic actually had the hands to stickhandle with his head up, or even had teammates that cared even a little bit, he could’ve avoided the hit entirely.

Maybe back east guys were afraid of you, but out west you better:

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

Posted by fallenaeon on 10/09/15 at 04:36 PM ET

pautna's avatar

@fallenaeon - “step out of the way” What? Like Logan was just standing there and here comes Milan? He ambushed him by jumping into Lucic’s path from off the ice. Go back to the video and see for yourself. Also see how long everyone had to warn Lucic. Half a second maybe?

Meanwhile, a player is supposed to keep his head up watching for someone who’s not even on the ice? Really? How does that work? Can you demonstrate it for me?

I’m going do you a favor and fix your cute little bold line so please see below:

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP FOR LITTLE SUCKER PUNCHING BITCHES WHO AREN’T EVEN ON THE ICE

Posted by pautna on 10/09/15 at 05:16 PM ET

@pautna You think it’s a problem to hit a guy who’s not paying attention.  Players who have their heads up, and see it coming, rarely get hit.  In hockey you specifically target players with their heads down for bodychecks.

How long does Lucic and his team have to know Couture is coming out of the box? TWO MINUTES.

You absolutely need to know how much time is left in your powerplay, who’s coming onto the ice, and when.  Most goalies or someone on the bench will bang their sticks on the ice/boards with about 5 seconds remaining in penalties for these reasons.  Plenty of time to react.

If Lucic’s head was up, he’d see Couture stepping out of the penalty box and onto the ice, into his skating path.

I’m sick of people who obviously haven’t grown up around the game and have never played themselves defending players for being unaware.  If you have your head down in the neutral zone you deserve to get checked.

Posted by fallenaeon on 10/09/15 at 05:31 PM ET

pautna's avatar

@fallenaeon “You think it’s a problem to hit a guy who’s not paying attention.” That’s not what I said.

“I’m sick of people who obviously haven’t grown up around the game and have never played themselves defending players for being unaware.” [Emphasis mine] I’ve been following and playing hockey for 40 plus years, and we’ve always gone by the unwritten rule that you don’t ambush payers from off the ice if you can help it.

Btw, saying stupid things about people you don’t know potentially makes you look like the ignorant one. The bottom line is that it was a cheap shot in my opinion. But I guess in your know-all world because you play and watch hockey it’s just fine, which as I said before is kinda sad.

Posted by pautna on 10/09/15 at 06:27 PM ET

I’ve just seen a growing sentiment in what I perceive to be the “new school” hockey fans that lambaste players making hits, even completely clean ones.  I believe that the onus is on the player with the puck to be aware of his surroundings.  I can tell you from personal experience that this can be difficult and that’s why communication is key from your teammates.

It’s also frustrating to see an increasing trend in the game where players fight or go after another player after they’ve delivered a legal check.

In this instance it’s Lucic’s responsibility to keep his head up while moving the puck through the neutral zone because he’s eligible to be checked.  He also should have an idea of how much time is left on the powerplay, not only because he could be hit, but also a turnover could lead to an odd-man rush going back the other way.  It’s his teammates responsibility to remind everyone on the ice that the player is coming out of the box.

This check was sneaky, as I stated in my first comment, but the check was delivered in a legal fashion.  On the other hand Lucic’s retaliation was not only on a player who’s not eligible to be checked, but he comes in high with his hands.

Seeing people attack Couture for making a legal hockey play, and then defend Lucic who made a poor hockey play by not being aware of his surroundings followed by an illegal play by trying to hit a player without the puck, makes me question how much they actually know about hockey.

Posted by fallenaeon on 10/09/15 at 07:51 PM ET