Video- Mika Zibanejad Goal, You Decide

Most of the folks I follow on Twitter thought this goal would not count, what about you?

via the Situation Room Blog at NHL.com,

At 11:55 of the third period in the Canadiens/Senators game, video review upheld the referee's call on the ice that the puck deflected off Mika Zibanejad's left skate and into the net in a legal fashion. Good goal Ottawa.

According to Rule 49.2 "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal."

Ottawa scored late in the 3rd period and the game is headed to OT.

update 10:08pm,

Sens win in OT on a goal from Kyle Turris on Peter Budaj who replaced Price at the start of OT. Price appeard to hurt a leg at the end of regulation.

added 10:45pm, Watch below to see how Carey Price was injured.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mika+zibanejad

Comments

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

That was a tough one to call.

I do know that had that been a Wing player, there’s no question it would have been ruled kicked in.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/07/13 at 09:12 PM ET

Good goal, no question in my mind.

Posted by Garth on 05/07/13 at 09:17 PM ET

stibbens's avatar

Easily a good goal, as Toronto confirmed it.  But seriously, it was not a kicking motion, rather a stopping motion.

Posted by stibbens on 05/07/13 at 09:19 PM ET

klank's avatar

the troll continues on Michel Therrien..

tough call…  stopping motion in the direction of goal entry.  tough call.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/07/13 at 09:31 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Angling the skate for a deflection is not a kicking motion. The blade is fully on the ice the entire time. Good goal (but it would have been waived off if it were a red wing, no doubt)

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 10:12 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

It doesn’t look like a kick at all in real speed, but looks a lot worse in slo-mo.

I think these kicks should all be decided by real speed replays as opposed to slo-mo because on any one of these, if you slow it down enough, you can find a few frames, when isolated, that make it look like a kick.  On the CBC broadcast, they kept showing the same frames, slowed down, repeatedly, and it made it look really bad.  Slow motion has it’s uses, but to me, kicked pucks isn’t one of them.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/07/13 at 10:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The point of the rule is to keep goalies from getting kicked/cut with skates. If the blade is on the ice, even if the puck is punted, it SHOULD count (even though that’s not the actual rule - not by a long shot).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 11:03 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

It really does look worse in slow motion. I’m not a Habs or Sens fan, so my feeling is, even if he did push his foot forward a little, it made no difference. The puck had lots of zip on it, and was going in as a deflection off the skate, whether there was a kicking motion or not.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/08/13 at 08:31 AM ET

Either way, it’s a redirection, not a kick.  I guess in slo-mo it’s easy to isolate the action and take it out of the context of him simply in the act of stopping.

Posted by Garth on 05/08/13 at 08:33 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I’m a Sens fan, so frankly if he’d picked it up and drop kicked it into the net I’d probably still say it’s a good goal.

- but I think my honest reaction is that he deflects it in while stopping. He may have intentionally positioned his foot to deflect it towards the net, but my understanding is that is still legal.

It’s the little stutter step that comes after the puck makes contact that, I think, is causing people to look twice (which is why it looks worse in slow motion).

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/08/13 at 09:10 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Also, should add, I hope Price’s injury isn’t serious. Hate to see anyone get injured, especially on what appeared to be kind of a routine play.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/08/13 at 09:11 AM ET