Video- Kris Letang Hit On Marcus Johansson

Two minutes for interference.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kris+letang, marcus+johansson

Comments

Thag's avatar

Same hit, different night. If that turd doesn’t get at least a game or two, Trotz’s comments are right on target.

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/02/16 at 09:07 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Nothing like an instant litmus test for Trotz’s comments.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/02/16 at 09:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Check Bob McKenzie’s recent Twitter timeline for technical details of the hit.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/16 at 09:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Johansson back for the 2nd period.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/16 at 09:11 PM ET

Serious question for non-haters. Do you really think it is in the same category of hit as Orpik’s hit?  I think it was borderline late and borderline head. I think it is probably going to be either a fine or 1 game suspension. But I don’t think it is nearly as bad as everyone is saying it is. Just a bunch of people playing the Trotz game. But I am a pens fan so I am interested in others point of view.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/02/16 at 09:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

G to L…

The puck was gone…technically a blindside hit…

But I do think Johansson should’ve been looking around some.

Maybe not a 3 game suspension…but given what the league gave Orpik…and I do believe Letang does have a little bit of a history here…not as much as Orpik….a game wouldn’t surprise me….nothing more than 2 games.

And frankly, taking my Wing colored glasses off…I would’ve sworn Abdelkader should’ve got a game for the crap he pulled at the end of Game 2 in Tampa.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/02/16 at 09:25 PM ET

I am wondering if the fact he is back for the second period will change DOPS’s mind. It seems to have a factor in the past.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/02/16 at 09:27 PM ET

All American in MN's avatar

@myregularface posted a decent clip on Twitter. To me, the two back checking penguins let up as soon as johannsen made the pass.  It was after the back checking players visibly let up that letang seemed to actually commit to the hit and turned his hips/skates. It definitely seemed to target the head with the shoulder.  Hard to tell if he “launched” into hit.

Posted by All American in MN on 05/02/16 at 09:28 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

All due respect ( you don’t know how hard that was to type)...but there was no borderline on that being to the head…..Zero….just like Letangs suspension.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/16 at 09:35 PM ET

I think he gets a game only because of the optics related to the Orpik hit, otherwise it would have a fine or or informal warning.

Posted by Ventr on 05/02/16 at 10:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I’d like to know how on both of these hits the refs on the ice don’t have the courage to actually call it. I mean comparing the hits after the fact is one thing but BOTH were obvious major penalties in my mind. I know refs err on the side of not over affecting games but i think there needs to be more strict enforcement IN games and not just after the fact.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/02/16 at 11:00 PM ET

@perfection. Agreed.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/02/16 at 11:36 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

Think DPS set a precedent for late hits that target the head. Think Letang should also get 3 at least, 4 if the DPS wants to make clear that late hits to the head are not going to be tolerated.  Sorry, but 1 game for this hit isn’t enough and I think would support Trotz’s insinuation in many hockey fans eyes and not just the haters.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 05/02/16 at 11:58 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Essentially, Letang just put the league in a bad spot. They either suspend Letang, or they validate Trotz’ remarks. It’s definitely not the same hit as the Orpik hit, but it’s still not a great hit. I’d say a minimum of two games for Letang, if the league is interested in shutting down Trotz’s remarks. It’s the head contact that does it for me, really.

Two different hits, but the same awful result. Late hit or not, it was a head hit and it needs to be taken out of the game.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/03/16 at 12:55 AM ET

Opportunistic, predator hit targeting a vulnerable player in the head.

Three games.

The fact Orpik got hit with three should have been plenty of warning.

Now, about these officials who want to keep all possible autonomy and agency in making calls: they’re deferring to the Dept of Player Safety to a pretty significant extent when they’re only wiling to hand out a 2 min minor for interference.

Posted by Lefty30 on 05/03/16 at 02:13 AM ET

This is not the same hit as Orpik’s Orpik clearly put his elbow out for a hit and lead with his elbow.
This was a hit with a shoulder, granted also to the head.
Either way, this should be a suspension.

Posted by George0211 on 05/03/16 at 08:29 AM ET

The fact Orpik got hit with three should have been plenty of warning.

Yeah, except that this isn’t in the same league as Orpik’s.

He should definitely sit, but he should definitely not get as much as Orpik got.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/16 at 08:37 AM ET