Video- Jonathan Toews Injured After Big Hit From Brooks Orpik

from Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times,

As he lay crumpled on the ice following a devastating hit by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, Jonathan Toews uttered something apparently unprintable, got to his feet and skated off to the bench, clutching his left arm with his right. He sat on the bench, hunched over in pain a couple of times, then got up again and left for the dressing room.

The question now is, when will he come back?

Already without one of the top offensive players in the world in Patrick Kane, the Blackhawks might have lost one of the most irreplaceable players in the world, too. Toews left the Hawks’ 4-1 loss to the Penguins with about 6:30 left in the second period, and didn’t return.

Hawks coach Joel Quenneville deemed him “day to day,” but said he’d know more on Monday.

“I don’t think it’s serious,” he said.

continued and watch the hockey hit below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brooks+orpik, jonathan+toews

Comments

I thought it looked like a questionable hit. I think orpik was leaving his feet before the hit.

Posted by teldar on 03/31/14 at 07:45 AM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

I thought it was a good hockey hit.

Keep your head up, Toews.

Posted by Bill from GR on 03/31/14 at 08:16 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And people wonder why Sean Thornton went after him.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/31/14 at 08:19 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Gotta keep your head up.

Orpik’s feet do look a little funny, but I think it’s because he actually leaves his feet after contact.  Like he tried to jump after making the initial hit - not to launch himself into the hit.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/31/14 at 08:24 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I thought it looked like he hit his head on the dasher, too

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/31/14 at 08:29 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by teldar on 03/31/14 at 08:45 AM ET

If that was questionable, then most of Kronwall’s have been questionable too.  Looked good to me.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/31/14 at 08:50 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The hit was a little high on the shoulder, but that’s because Whiner Boy was reaching down for the puck at the last second instead of being aware of his surroundings. Good hit. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving P.O.S.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/31/14 at 09:05 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

What he said. I see nothing wrong with that hit whatsoever.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/31/14 at 10:24 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Just a normal HUGE hit. No targeting. Great stuff. And as OTC stated.. couldn’t have happened to a better POS.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/31/14 at 10:30 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I don’t get the Towes hate. He’s not Kane. Towes could easily fit in the Red Wings system if the Wings sucked hard enough that year for the draft pick. He’s a good player and a solid person off the ice. Yeah, he plays for the blackhawks, but so what? People in this league rarely stay where they were drafted forever. I’d love if their #19 was on our team, but he’d need a new number of course.

The hit looked opportunistic, a bit high but not dirty. Towes came down on his arm, so I’m not sure a headshot issue is even relevant here. I have lots of Orpik hate, but this wasn’t any worse than Kronwall’s opportunistic huge hits (of which I am not really a fan, but that’s irrelevant).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/31/14 at 12:16 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I don’t get the Towes hate. He’s not Kane. ... He’s a good player and a solid person off the ice.

Toes is one of the biggest whiners in the league. Seabrook even had to talk to him during the series with the Wings last Spring because he was being a giant crybaby. He has a serious case on “entitlement” that he carries onto the ice with him, and it rears its ugly head evey single time something doesn’t go his way.

So, that’s where my personal “hate” for Whiner Boy comes from.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/31/14 at 04:59 PM ET