Video- Jonathan Toews And Joe Thornton Go At It

I think Toews feels Thornton embellished the call a bit.

Both received 5 for fighting, Toews received 2 for boarding and 2 for unsportsmanlike conduct, probably starting a fight with a visor on.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: joe+thornton, jonathon+toews

Comments

Toews is extremely lucky; this should have been 2 for boarding, 2 for instigating, and 2 for instigating with a visor.  (Plus the 5 for fighting.)  Even the Chicago commentary on NHL Network said as much and were surprised when it wasn’t called that way.  I don’t know that the refs have an option to call a single minor for instigating with a visor without also assessing one for instigating—unless you just call it unsportsmanlike, I guess.

Happened a few years ago in a Caps game; there was actually a 9 minute power play… 5 for fighting (with no matching 5 for the Capital who didn’t fight), 2 for instigating, and 2 for the visor.  (And no, there were no PPGs that day…)  In today’s CHI-SJ game, it should probably have been a 6 min PP instead of the 4.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 02/15/13 at 11:04 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

GOD DAMN IT, Toes just went up a few hundreds positions on my respect list

About time someone smaller went after Thornton, even if he lost the fight badly, but just to show how much of a bitch he is
I bet the chicago crowd cheering on after the fight means Im not alone on this one

Posted by Zqto on 02/16/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Zqto on 02/16/13 at 10:05 AM ET

thornton spared the kid. completly moronic move by toews. gladly the refs prevented further damage. if you wanna go against dumbo joe, you should atleast be able to match him. what toews did was begging for a beating

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 02/16/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

I agree, but he spared him only because if he did beat toews up, it would look even worse for him, dont you think?

As I said, this was not about the result of the fight, and Toews actually showed lots of guts getting into that fight

Posted by Zqto on 02/16/13 at 11:49 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I was praying that Thornton would’ve clobbered Toews into oblivion. The Blackhawks are in need of some injuries to even out their ridiculous record.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 02/16/13 at 02:51 PM ET

This is a particularly boneheaded sequence by Toews. He’s forcing a fight he has no prayer of winning and he’s doing it for no particular reason. He’d have his third concussion in a year (and fifth in his career) if Thornton hadn’t decided to spare him.

Stupid, stupid play.

Also, I’m of the opinion that anybody wearing a visor who instigates a fight with someone who’s not wearing a visor deserves a one-game suspension.

Posted by Zqto on 02/16/13 at 10:49 AM ET

Not that I particularly care for Thornton, but why the Hell would Thornton look bad if he had decided to really clobber some guy who jumped him (while wearing a visor, no less) out of nowhere?

Posted by larry on 02/16/13 at 05:33 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Thorton going down early (har har)?

No way.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/16/13 at 09:09 PM ET