Video- Johan Franzen Going Through The Concussion Protocol After Hit From Radko Gudas

According to the Detroit Red Wings, Johan Franzen will miss Tuesday's game with Anaheim while going through the concussion protocol for this hit yesterday from Tampa Bay's  Radko Gudas.

Franzen received and unsportsmanlike penalty on the play for complaining about the hit and non-call.

The NHL takes a look at all hits but will they take further action on this hit?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: johan+franzen, radko+gudas

Comments

So this is 3rd wings player lost to concussion already this season and 2 of the 3 hits to the head were not penalized and probably no supplemental punishment for this one either.
WTF

Posted by George0211 on 12/16/13 at 11:06 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t know.  Maybe the camera angles don’t do this justice, but I’m just not seeing anything suspension worthy here.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/16/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 12/16/13 at 10:29 AM ET

I see Gudas’ arm going up. He does not have his arm down while delivery a hit. This was a hit that targeted the head based on the fact that the arm was up.
Just my opinion.

Posted by George0211 on 12/16/13 at 11:31 AM ET

Franzen spent more time yelling at the referees than going after Gudas.  This is why it is hard for me to watch Red Wings games because this team has no heart to fight back.  The Red Wings only enforcer at the moment seems to be Brendan Shanahan once again because that’s who they go crying to when there is an infraction.  The East is a more physical conference and the Wings once again unilaterally disarm.

Posted by bababooey on 12/16/13 at 12:01 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 12/16/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Yep

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/16/13 at 12:20 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 12/16/13 at 10:29 AM ET

It’s an elbow to the jaw. Not surprising that it wasn’t caught because the ref had a poor line of sight.

It’s a strong elbow and Gudas is a big guy.

So this is 3rd wings player lost to concussion

Franzen’s the 4th after Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Abdelkader.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/16/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Franzen’s the 4th after Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Abdelkader.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/16/13 at 11:42 AM ET

I meant from direct hits to the head. Kronwall was a hit from behind, but I should have been more clear.

Posted by George0211 on 12/16/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Yes, a team struggling to score goals with multiple starting players out with injuries needs a few knuckle draggers to help turn things around. Hey maybe George Parros is available…..

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/16/13 at 01:00 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

There should be no suspension. Gudas was simply using his forearm to protect himself from Franzen’s head hitting him in the shoulder. In fact, Franzen should have gotten an additional two minutes for “reckless use of his head.” [/sarcasm]

As for the ref having a “bad angle” on the play, he was looking right at it. Even from behind Franzen, Devorksi had to have seen Gudas’ arm come up and deliver a “forearm shiver” to Franzen’s head.

But he told Cleary that Franzen had his head down and “the guy just came through and caught him.” So I guess it was Franzen’s fault for leaning forward to reach for the puck. Ridiculous.

Babcock said… “Normally—and I say this all of the time—someone else gets an opportunity. We’re running out of guys to get opportunities.”

At some point, Blashill might as well be named a Wings assistant coach again because all of his guys will be in Detroit.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/16/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Franzen incurred an injury on the “play,” and you’re mad because he didn’t retaliate? Yes, we need some folks to step up and enforce, but Franzen isn’t that guy.

I don’t care that Franzen didn’t retaliate (although jawing at the refs obviously didn’t help matters). I want the refs to stop looking at the pretty girls in the stands and start actually calling the game.  What a horrible missed call this was.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/16/13 at 02:00 PM ET