Video- Evander Kane vs. Zdeno Chara

Blow-by-blow brought to you by Jack Edwards.

added 9:34pm, Longer version os below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evander+kane, zdeno+chara

Comments

Paul's avatar

John Shannon tweet,

Zdeno Chara’s elbow to Evander Kane’s head has been marked by Player Safety.  Rule 48?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/19 at 10:29 PM ET

Has Jack Edwards ever actually been in a fight himself?

Honest question.

I get that this is his shtick - to get cartoonishly excited.

But i don’t think I’ve ever heard an adult make such childishly bizarre noises while other people are fighting.

And Chara doesn’t exactly cover himself in glory here.
Not that Edwards would care. No you don’t hit a guy who’s down but you also don’t elbow a guy in the head.

To me, Boston is like Philly: must be something in the water there.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/26/19 at 10:42 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Rick Jeanneret - I love listening to this guy call a fight - good times. Look up any Rob Ray fight.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 02/26/19 at 11:10 PM ET

I’d love to have seen the fight that Jack Edwards thinks he was watching.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/27/19 at 09:49 AM ET

I’d love to have seen the fight that Jack Edwards thinks he was watching.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/27/19 at 08:49 AM ET

LOL, I loved the what a hook scream, when Chara completely missed.
This guy is a dope

Posted by George0211 on 02/27/19 at 10:07 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Damn Kane, if you are going to jump a guy at least have the stones to finish it.

The question is what happens to the ref who stood there and watched Chara throw the bow and did nothing about it?

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 02/27/19 at 10:56 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t like that hit at all.  Kane was a little low, but Chara seemed to find a way to stick his elbow into his head when it could have just been a check instead.

Zdeno Chara will not receive any supplementary discipline for his hit of Evander Kane last night.

Well that’s not a surprise.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/27/19 at 11:07 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Chara has not every had a bad hit in his career (sarcasm). He won’t get penalized.

Good for Kane standing up to that Goliath. Maybe Hootinani would had a better row with Chara?

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 02/27/19 at 11:08 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Kevin Kurz tweet,

It’s my understanding that the league considered it impossible for Chara to hit Kane through the body without avoiding some head contact due to position Kane was in after he lunged for the puck, which I suspected might be the case.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/27/19 at 11:11 AM ET

I’ll always like Evander Kane for this hit on Matt Cooke

But he was a bit out of his league against Chara as most are. Hard to control a guy who has such a size and reach advantage on you.

Posted by evileye on 02/27/19 at 11:23 AM ET

Chara is also arguably continuing the altercation (a one-way altercation at that point) and clearly decides to ignore the linesmen and throw at least one more shot.
The impression is: I’m too big and strong for you to stop me so I might as well throw one more.

Not a conspiracy theory person but Boston plays by different rules and it’s been that way for a long time and it’s hard not to conclude the reason is at least partly Jeremy Jacobs.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/27/19 at 11:51 AM ET