Video- Dustn Byfuglien Hit On Brendan Gallagher

Byfuglien received 2 for elbowing.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dustin+byfuglien

Comments

Again, a predatory hit, clearly targeting the head and the player getting hit simply got lucky not to get killed.

Posted by George0211 on 11/02/15 at 08:21 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Well, if Stone is getting time off for his hit, I can’t see how this escapes suspension.  Its pretty flagrant.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/02/15 at 08:52 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

not a good hit

... but gallagher coulda been flagged for embellishing, right?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/15 at 10:07 AM ET

Bradley97's avatar

not a good hit

[sarcasm]... but gallagher coulda been flagged for embellishing, right?[/sarcasm]

Fixed that for you.  wink

Looked like Byfuglien was retaliating for the stick work Enstrom had to put up with at the beginning of the clip.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 11/02/15 at 08:52 AM ET

Both should be suspensions, and hopefully both will be suspended (my fantasy hockey team repercussions be danged).

Posted by Bradley97 on 11/02/15 at 10:18 AM ET

I’d like to see the other side. Almost looked like principal contact was shoulder to shoulder as Gallagher ‘s head hits Buff’ s back after buff passed across the front of him. Predatory? Yes. Dangerous? Yes. Head hunting? I’m not convinced.

Posted by teldar on 11/02/15 at 10:18 AM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Posted by teldar on 11/02/15 at 10:18 AM ET

Byfuglien could have avoided contact. He won the puck race and instead of skating away with possession he changed his trajectory to hit Gallagher. The hit was illegal, predatory, and after watching the hit several times I do believe the other angle will show principal contact is to the head.

Posted by Bradley97 on 11/02/15 at 10:22 AM ET

Should have posted that Gallagher wouldn’t spin on his vertical axis of the hit all head. I think the only reason Gallagher’s head bounces off his back is that he’s spinning because of the shoulder on shoulder hit.  I’m very against the head hunting that goes on in the nhl but I’m not positive this is an example.

Posted by teldar on 11/02/15 at 10:22 AM ET

Definitely agree predatory and dangerous. Buff didn’t need to try to destroy the guy. It’s a hit that doesn’t need to be made there. But I’d like an angle from the other side of their bodies to convince me this is all head shot.

Posted by teldar on 11/02/15 at 10:27 AM ET

Posted by teldar on 11/02/15 at 10:22 AM ET

Buf’s shoulder hits the jaw and then shoulder of Gallagher. This is a 100% headhunting

Posted by George0211 on 11/02/15 at 10:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I was kind of surprised while reading a few sites on the game, no reaction of talk about this hit from either side.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/02/15 at 10:33 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I was half serious (Gallaher did embellish the hit, IMO) and being half sarcastic

... sorry for the confusion ... it is a department of player safety issue, I guess.

flip a coin as to how / if they’ll rule on this.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/02/15 at 10:43 AM ET

Bradley97's avatar

flip a coin as to how / if they’ll rule on this.

No way he embellished the hit. Not even in slow motion. He also got up right away without stumbling, which is a miracle in my opinion.

Posted by Bradley97 on 11/02/15 at 11:07 AM ET

Paul's avatar

NHL announces hearing on Tuesday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/02/15 at 03:55 PM ET