Video- Dubinsky Receives A Match Penalty At The End Of The Game Last Night

from Aaron Portzline of Puck-Rakers,

There were scrums all over the ice, including one at the final buzzer that resulted in Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky being assessed a match penalty. Dubinsky is suspended until further notice from the league, according to NHL policy.

At the end of the game, as dance partners began to pair up, Dubinsky came up from behind on Kings defenseman Robyn Regehr behind the Kings net. Doughty approached from behind and through a right-hand puck at Dubinsky, which appeared to hit the mark. Dubinsky turned a charged after Doughty, who ducked and covered in front of the empty Los Angeles net.

"Just a cheap shot, and that's his personality," Kings forward Kyle Clifford said of Dubinsky. "We've got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player."

more on the game and the Blue Jackets...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brandon+dubinsky

Comments

It’s hard to see, but it looks to me like Doughty pulls the bullshit fifth guy into a couple pairs of guys pushing and grabs Dubinsky’s head from behind. Things go downhill from there. I don’t see anything worth a suspension unless they are going to get doughty as well.

Posted by teldar on 04/19/13 at 06:58 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Here is a list of reasons why a match penalty can or must be assessed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/13 at 07:08 AM ET

I was wrong. Dubinsky is third guy in. I think that probably what the penalty is for.

Posted by teldar on 04/19/13 at 07:08 AM ET

Solid turtle by Doughty.  LOL  How do you grab a guy from behind and end up turtled 5 seconds later?  League should take 2 seconds to look at that and Dubinsky should be back on the ice for the next Columbus game.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/19/13 at 07:35 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

It took me way too long to figure out what “... through a right-hand puck Dubinsky…” meant.

Seriously, does nobody proofread anything anymore?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/19/13 at 09:11 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

It took me way too long to figure out what “... through a right-hand puck AT Dubinsky…” meant.

Seriously, does nobody proofread anything anymore?

I win.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/19/13 at 09:12 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

puck should be punch I suppose. I too was looking to see a chunk of rubber getting chucked at someone.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/19/13 at 09:21 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 04/19/13 at 10:11 AM ET

Welcome to the Columbus Dispatch… the only newspaper in town.  Can you tell?

I don’t really see anything worth a suspension.  Dubinsky was helping out a teammate.  Doughty tried to be a big boy and ends up looking like a beech.  Nothing earth shattering there.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/19/13 at 09:39 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/19/13 at 10:21 AM ET

And “through” should be “threw,” but what do I know? I can’t even proofread my own posts. wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/19/13 at 09:40 AM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Prrofreading is supposed to be for those getting paid for their words.  Not us mere mortal commenters.  I agree, that writing was a joke.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/19/13 at 12:25 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Welcome to the Columbus Dispatch… the only newspaper in town.  Can you tell?

Still, have some professional integrity, you know? I mean, I understand the need to meet deadlines and what-not, but if your primary job is to publish things for people to read, shouldn’t you bother making them, you know, readable?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/19/13 at 10:39 AM ET

Agreed. Dubinsky was just trying to keep Foligno from getting his face smashed in, and Doughty decided to put on his “man pants” and try to deliver a cheap-shot to the back of Dubinsky’s head. Worse shit happens almost every night in every game.

Nothing to see here.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/19/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The NHL rescinded the match penalty.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/13 at 12:41 PM ET

I wouldn’t call it a straight turtle. Doughty took a good shot at the :18 second mark. Gotta be ready for that though. I would give Dubinsky the third man in and Doughty as the 4th. That stuff was going on all game, so I am not surprised it came to that.

Posted by lv2skor on 04/19/13 at 12:51 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Clifford comes off as the dumbass in this one.  Doughty went after Dubinsky and then turtled after throwing a few.  Actually Doughty also came off as a puss.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/19/13 at 04:59 PM ET