Video- Brent Seabrook Hit On David Backes

Brent Seabrook received 5 for charging and a game, David Backes went to the dressing room.

The Blues scored on the pp late in the 3rd and the game is now headed to OT.

added 7:11pm, below, watch the CBC version of the hit...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brent+seabrook, david+backes

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Paul, no need to post the video of this play. Eddie O told us it was a clean hit. Nothing to see here.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/19/14 at 05:28 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The class of the Cawks organizations shines in this video, with the head hit from Seabrook, Toews taunting Backes while hes dazed, and Eddie Oldick frantically trying to explain why this hit should be ok.

We’ll call them the Dynasty of Class

Posted by Hootinani on 04/19/14 at 05:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Chris Kuc tweet,

Brent Seabrook said he wasn’t targeting the head with hit on Blues’ David Backes. Hopes Backes is OK.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/14 at 05:42 PM ET

Chris Kuc tweet,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/19/14 at 06:42 PM ET

Liar.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 05:45 PM ET

I’m half expecting the same lame ass excuse from Bickell.  “I wasn’t targeting his knee.  Hope Sobotka’s okay.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 05:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

quite pathetic, actually. couldn’t be more deliberate. Didn’t notice Toews class behavior.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/19/14 at 05:56 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/19/14 at 06:56 PM ET

understandable, as he has been invisible this series so far(2 assists, big whoop).  Way to go Captain Foot, get after ‘em when their down!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/19/14 at 06:00 PM ET

I will be really happy to see him get 3 games.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/19/14 at 06:05 PM ET

Just shows that Seabrook still has a lot to learn from Keith on how to deliver cheap shots & get away with it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/19/14 at 06:08 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

It is the playoffs, so we will be lucky if he gets one game. Classic shoulder to head check, those are suspendable in the new NHL.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 04/19/14 at 06:09 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Now, the DoPS will probably say “Backes turned so he is partly responsible”, completely ignoring that Seabrook would have basically been running him from behind if he hadn’t moved.

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 04/19/14 at 06:11 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

backes got destroyed.  I find it hard to believe he will be back for this series.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/19/14 at 06:14 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wow.

i watched the game on CBC and thankfully didn’t get to see Edzo make a fool of himself in real time. what an idiot. he sure shut up quickly.

I bet this is one game suspension only too. Which is total garbage but the league has showed in the past that they weigh playoff games extremely different. Essentially they act like the 82 game season and a 7 game series are worth the same and therefore pretend that a one game suspension is the equivalent to 11 or whatever in the regular season. They probably view one game as severe. Should be 3 game minimum or even the whole series if Backes is out the whole series.

and these types of plays actually bother me all the more when it’s obviously game planned rather than an isolated case of miscalculation or overzealousness. The Hawks gooned it up the entire game. They had so many penalties and it was a small fraction of the horrible gooney they displayed. This reminded me of mid-2000’s Ducks strategy of committing so many penalties that the refs simply cannot even call even a fraction of them. I’m sure, like those Ducks, they’re going to bitch now about how many calls they had. Sure seems fitting they ended up burning them in the end.

I don’t particularly like either of these teams and as a longtime Chicago resident I’ve always been mixed because I have suffered the torment of being a Wings fan here, but I also appreciate the effect on the city when the Hawks win it all. With that said, I’m solidly in the Blues corner in this series now. Ugh. Screw the Hawks.

And especially screw Duncan Keith by the way. What a douche!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 06:45 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/19/14 at 07:08 PM ET

+19.

Now with that out of the way…Karma is a bitch, Backes.

I’m glad these teams are beating on each other.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/19/14 at 07:12 PM ET

I’m glad these teams are beating on each other.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/19/14 at 08:12 PM ET

Yup.  While I still wish that that series is won by the B’lose, I hope it goes a whole seven games and they get just as brutal as today’s game.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/14 at 07:19 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Here’s my question????

There was NO penalty called on the play, but then amazingly the officials decide that it’s not only a penalty, but a game misconduct!

Was there some sort of call from God ?

I’m not questioning the call . It was a penalty and he should get multiple games!!

I’m trying to figure out the Mickey Mouse operation of this sham of a league.

Take a bow Gary, you’ve earned it.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/19/14 at 07:19 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

We’ll call them the Dynasty of Class

Don’t you mean “The Quality Of Ass” when describing the Slackhawks and their slappy Eddie O?

Posted by bigfrog on 04/19/14 at 07:37 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

Seabrook should get life for this. Garbage

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 04/19/14 at 08:50 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Its only a phone hearing, so unfortunately he can’t get Raffi’ed for the rest of the playoffs.

Wish he would though, with Eddie O serving some time as well.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/19/14 at 06:28 PM ET

Hilarious!

Posted by aerodude on 04/20/14 at 12:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Seabroook does have a phone hearing with the NHL.  Phone hearing usually means 5 games or less.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/14 at 09:31 AM ET