Video- Boone Jenner Hit On Evgeni Malkin

from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch,

At 7:03 of the second, Jenner and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin made partial contact with their legs as they crossed paths high in the Blue Jackets’ zone. Jenner kept his feet, but Malkin hit the ice and writhed in pain, his head wrenched back and his arms clutching his left knee in agony. A dust-up ensued.

Replays showed Jenner did not extend his left knee to catch Malkin. To the contrary, he turned slightly to his right and appeared to stick out his left shoulder in anticipation of a hit that never came. Their legs brushed as they passed, with the side of Jenner's left leg brushing the lower part of Malkin's left leg.

A few seconds later, Malkin was up and skating under his own power. He returned to take a dramatic test-drive near the end of a TV timeout amid cheers of "Geno!" He finished the game, and was the best player on the ice.

Tortorella was incredulous when a Pittsburgh reporter asked him post-game if he anticipated any further discipline for Jenner from the NHL.

“(Malkin) got up, didn’t he?” Tortorella said. “It’s like he was dead, and then he was out the next shift.”

Tortorella stopped short of saying Malkin was faking it. Asked if he was surprised that Malkin, given his initial response, was able to return to the game and dominate, Jenner said: "I don't think (the hit) was too hard."

more on the 5-2 Columbus loss to Pittsburgh...

Watch the hit Jenner hit on Malkin below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: boone+jenner, evgeni+malkin

Comments

Definitely an accident.  But, the Dalton Prout 5-crosscheck assault deserves a suspension.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/22/15 at 07:43 AM ET

Temo's avatar

That was NO accident.  He intentionally stuck his knee out to hit Malkin.  Dirty dirty play

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 12/22/15 at 07:59 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The hit was fine. The rolling around like a little baby was not. Pitiful.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/22/15 at 08:10 AM ET

I have watched it 100 times, and unless Jenner is a one-legged man there is no way he could have avoided that hit.  Watch from the second angle in the video, and you can see he doesn’t move his legs at all.  If anything, he is just kind of gliding.

As for the ‘little baby’ comment, that kind of hit hurts all the time.  Malkin has a history with his knees as well, so it was fortunate he wasn’t seriously hurt.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/22/15 at 08:44 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TEMO from La Capital, Míchígán on 12/22/15 at 07:59 AM ET

Not sure how you figure that.  I don’t see him move his leg, knee, or do anything he wasn’t already in position for.  In fact, if you use that last angle the clip shows…. Jenner may have actually tried to bring his leg back in a bit, rather than extend it.

I’m not sure what Jenner could have done ot avoid that.  Maybe Malkin shouldn’t be trying to skate through a crowd like that.  That’s the only way I can see that being avoided.

Posted by Primis on 12/22/15 at 09:46 AM ET

Alan's avatar

That was just an unfortunate set of circumstances, not a dirty or intentional act.

It obviously wasn’t that bad if Malkin didn’t miss a beat.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/22/15 at 10:01 AM ET

Temo's avatar

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from but to me it looked like Malkin was trying to avoid Jenner and Jenner didn’t try to avoid Malkin.  That’s just my opinion.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 12/22/15 at 10:03 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

In real-time it looked MUCH worse as Jenner lifted his leg and straightened it out after the impact. At speed, it looked absolutely evil. Slowed down and from the second angle, it was pretty clear that it was just an on-ice collision and not something nefarious.

Malkin should have gotten 2 for diving though. He was playing the shift after the hit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/22/15 at 10:18 AM ET

Posted by TEMO from La Capital, Míchígán on 12/22/15 at 10:03 AM ET

That’s exactly what it was.

Nailed it valdy.  I’d be disgusted if I saw Pav or Hank doing that shit

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/22/15 at 09:55 AM ET

No, you’d probably be screaming for a suspension right now if that happened to Pav or Hank.
Getting hit like this hurts like hell regardless of the intent. I’m not surprised at all that Malkin was in pain.

Posted by George0211 on 12/22/15 at 10:23 AM ET

I was actually watching the game last night and they showed several replays of it. I felt like it was all on Malkin who dekes around his own player whom Jenner is chasing from behind and doesn’t make much attempt to avoid Jenner. Jenner even turned his leg in and brought it in a few inches to avoid the leg/leg collision. I don’t really feel Jenner did anything wrong as avoidance should have been on Malkin. Had Malkin turned to his right instead of deking around to get to Jenner, there wouldn’t have ever been a leg/leg hit.

Posted by teldar on 12/22/15 at 11:00 AM ET