Video- Big Or Bad Hit By Tom Wilson?

Lilja did return for the 3rd.

added 9:09pm, below, watch another hit from Wilson earlier in the game.

My suggestion, opposing players need to know Wilson is on the ice.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tom+wilson

Comments

Maybe I am completely confused about the rules or how the NHL interprets them.

But Wilson is seemingly catching an unsuspecting player from the blindside
and launching him head first into the boards from a dangerous distance.

A team seems to need an even bigger scarier player like Reeves
who will target and challenge Wilson all game to stop him from doing this.

I don’t know how an NHL player can incorporate: maybe I should stop playing hockey until I’m sure Wilson is not on the ice or is about to be into their game
and still be effective. I guess that’s the point of a player like that. But I think he crosses the line on most of his hits. Maybe my line isn’t where most people’s is.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/28/19 at 12:30 AM ET

Blindside hits that don’t target the head are completely legal, I think.  If anything I’d file this under Boarding, because that’s what looks to have done the damage.

Posted by EthrDemon on 12/28/19 at 01:02 AM ET

Yeah, I thought at minimum it had to be boarding.

But again how does the league parse these things?

I’m imagining them saying: hey, it wasn’t right between the numbers
on a player directly facing the boards..plus Lilja (hopefully?) avoided injury since
he eventually returned, no harm no foul.

So you get a play where a guy can be blindsided and flung headfirst
Into the boards at a dangerous distance and it’s not even a two minute penalty.

The Wennberg hit might have been directly in the chest with relatively little follow through up high. But it’s sad. Wennberg is a guy who has struggled to find his game since being badly concussed in the playoffs…by Tom Wilson. You ask a finesse player to hold onto the puck, make plays, play an inferior game…and then you give him zero on the roster let alone on his line to deter players like Wilson.

People continually comment about Ryan Reaves: he’s “irrelevant” when it comes to actual hockey. Well, he’s not nearly as good a player as Tom Wilson. But if i’m running a team and Wilson keeps injuring and targeting my players, and I know I have to contend with Washington to get to the playoffs and might even face them there, I’m going to find the biggest, strongest, scariest fighter who can skate and hit and I’m going to find a way to have him out there at least10-12 mins a night with the job of hitting, taunting, challenging Wilson constantly. Cross the line a little, the refs can’t and won’t call them all. Make him the target. Make him think about who is out on the ice. If you watch Reaves play against Wilson the latter looks like a much different player. Suddenly he’s not the windshield he’s the bug. It’s backwards hockey in 2019-20, but if you’re playing that team a lot I think you have to take that approach.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/28/19 at 02:01 AM ET

Interior not inferior

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/28/19 at 02:01 AM ET

Alan's avatar

The hit by itself is okay. If this was open ice, it wouldn’t have even been a post here. However, I would call this boarding, and I feel like that should have been a penalty call by the officials. You know, unless there’s a different rulebook for different teams now.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/28/19 at 04:06 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

The hit is clean. The result is a bummer. It’s borderline Boarding IMHO. He hit him at the.redline which is about 8’ away from the boards. Momentum carried him into the boards. Was that Wilson’s intent? Who know?

Rule 603 | Boarding
(Note) Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable position, driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.

The onus is on the player delivering the check to avoid placing a vulnerable or defenseless opponent in danger.

(a) A minor plus a misconduct or major plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed for boarding an opponent.

“Rolling” an opponent along the boards where he is attempting to go through too small an opening is not considered boarding.

(b) A major penalty plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent as a result of boarding.

(c) A match penalty for attempt to injure or deliberate injury to an opponent may also be assessed for boarding.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/28/19 at 09:26 AM ET