Video- Anyone Miss Jack Edwards?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jack+edwards

Comments

journohoff's avatar

“He’s being reckless with his face!” <—Best sports commentary line ever.

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 09/24/13 at 08:51 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

What I miss are the days when players could throw legal body checks without having to immediately get into a fight afterwards.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/24/13 at 08:53 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Wings taking note of this? And what happened in Toronto/Buffalo? Then Bertuzzi is their skilled go to tough guy after they waive TooToo?

Posted by TheFreak on 09/24/13 at 09:20 AM ET

I totally missed Jack Edwards!  He’s a fan just like the rest of us.  Best line was “He’s just assaulting his knuckles with his nose!” ... epic.

Posted by scorpion13 on 09/24/13 at 09:21 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by TheFreak on 09/24/13 at 10:20 AM ET

All they need is a top 5 power play…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/24/13 at 09:51 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by TheFreak on 09/24/13 at 10:20 AM ET

I’m taking note of how the Capitals lost that game thanks in large part to the goal the Bruins scored on the ensuing 5-on-3 power play they gave the Bruins for having two of their players instigate fights after a clean check.

Also taking note of the Toronto/Buffalo score, where the team that sent the skill player out to line up against a goon lost the game after a series of stupid events was kicked off by two dummy goons fighting in a situation that didn’t warrant it.

So yes, I took notice that in both situations where the team was aggressively stupid with fighting/“enforcing”, that team lost.

I think the Red Wings are aware too.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/13 at 11:06 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sorry, the team that sent the skill player out won the game.  The team that employed the useless goon to start a fight he never should have started lost.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/13 at 11:08 AM ET

wolverine's avatar

“He’s being reckless with his face!”

“He’s just assaulting his knuckles with his nose!”

I have a sneaky suspicion that Mr. Edwards spends a lot of time working on his “ad libs”.

Posted by wolverine on 09/24/13 at 11:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

+19

I’m so tired of the sideshow fights. I suppose sometimes these things ALMOST need to happen given the culture of the sport, but 5 min offsetting penalties does nothing to deter the stupid and senseless fights. Imagine how different the game would be if dropping gloves and swinging meant you got to go to the locker room and change. Some fights would still happen, but not for stupid reasons like a clean check that made someone look bad.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/24/13 at 11:43 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by scorpion13 on 09/24/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Well he’s just like most Boston fans anyways: uninformed, loud, and everyone wishes he’d go away.

Fits right in.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/24/13 at 09:53 AM ET

This, God this…

I also miss the days when sports announcers didn’t try to make themselves the show, and let the game speak for itself.

Posted by Primis on 09/24/13 at 12:04 PM ET

@scorpion13: Why are you ranting about Bruins fans…? By your lame avatar, I’m guessing you’re a Wings fan. I love how you lousy Detroit fans booed the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Joe when they won the Cup there in 2009 (if memory serves). Talk about classy… Then again, I’ve noticed this a number of times from Wings fans: your city is such an armpit that you need to make yourselves feel better by assigning baggage to everyone else. Take your energy and go fix the public schools in your City.

Posted by asharks on 09/24/13 at 12:51 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Am I the only one who that that fight was even? Regardless of what Jerk Edwards who have you believe. Shesh, he’s terrible.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————

I totally agree.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/24/13 at 01:23 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by asharks on 09/24/13 at 01:51 PM ET

Says the guy who first comment on KK is nothing but mud slinging.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 02:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Man I’ve never seen a more one sided victory in which both guys stayed on their skates and landed about the same number of punches.  Good you Jack for the insightful commentary.  I would have missed Lucic’s nuanced path to victory otherwise.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 02:22 PM ET

My only question is why would Lucic waste his time fighting Rechlicz? Seems a one-sided win for the Caps since losing Lucic actually hurts the Bruins.

Having said that and regardless of what caused the fight (since dropping the gloves for every clean hit is stupid), those were some intense blows being thrown. You may not believe in fighting, but there is no denying that those two guys are willing to give it their all.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/24/13 at 04:38 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by asharks on 09/24/13 at 01:51 PM ET

Nah, they weren’t booing the Pens, they were booing one guy: Cryosby. Plus, they were booing the new rule the NHL instituted and didn’t tell the Wings: it’s okay to have six players on the ice, as long as they ply their professional career in Pittsburgh (Rule 46.1.1.2.a:aa)

But, then again, it really was crazy of us to think four officials would notice too many men on the ice in such a short time-span. Twenty-one seconds goes by in the blink of an eye during games.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/24/13 at 04:56 PM ET