Video- Zack Smith Hit On Gabriel Landeskog

Regarding the hit, Smith received 2 for an illegal check to the head.  Will he face the wrath of Shanahan?

I would just let the call stand, no injury and the hit did not seem that bad.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: zack+smith

Comments

The Hurricane's avatar

Bad year to be named Smith….
3 games….hit to the head, targeted or not, the ownness is on the hitter.

Posted by The Hurricane on 10/14/11 at 03:32 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

This is the example the Shanahammer was talking about. His head was down when he was hit. Still a nasty hit but he popped right back up.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/14/11 at 04:10 AM ET

Pharazon's avatar

was a pretty slow hit as well..

not much speed involved in it

Posted by Pharazon from England on 10/14/11 at 04:26 AM ET

How about those Senators jerseys! Very jealous.

Posted by Chakka Ranks on 10/14/11 at 09:00 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Shanawrath…ouch. Maybe they will name a hurricane after him

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/14/11 at 10:04 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I completely disagree with the line of thinking that says we should determine suspension length based on damage sustained.
It should be based on intent or what the possible outcome could have been.

So because a player doesn’t miss a shift, an elbow to the head is only a 2-min minor.
But if he’s in the dark room for 2 months, then it’s 8 games?
Hogwash.

If I randomly spray bullets into a crowd of people and only one person gets nicked, should I be given a citation and sent on my way?
No, I go to jail based on the deaths I could have caused.

Any bad hits, such as this one should be met with a minimum 2-game suspension.

Posted by Hank1974 on 10/14/11 at 10:07 AM ET

Hmm… not much

Posted by Jason from Canada on 10/14/11 at 10:11 AM ET

This is the slippery slope I talked about 3 weeks ago that Shanny finds himself on now.  Wilson did everything right.  Arms tucked and leading with his shoulder.  The natural skating position in hockey is to lean forward from the waist at a 45 degree angle.  That was the position Landeskog was in.  How can you not hit anything but the head in a situation like this?  You can’t…so you can’t throw a check anymore, you have to fish for the puck instead.  Players getting hit know this now, and there is a false sense of security so guys bury their heads.  I really don’t know the answer to all of this and I’m glad I’m not Shanahan.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 10/14/11 at 11:02 AM ET

Said Wilson, meant Smith.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 10/14/11 at 11:05 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Shanahan set precedent for not suspending hits like this when he didn’t suspend Ryan Malone for a hit on Chris Campoli.

Landeskog turned into it and was skating in a vulnerable position. Smith keeps his hands in and pushes through contact (not punches, not follows high, but he pushes…)

A two-minute minor for the refs to err on the side of caution is appropriate. Supplemental discipline here would not be.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/14/11 at 11:13 AM ET