Video- Why Every Player Should Wear A Visor

A few night’s ago, Francois Beauchemin of the Anaheim Ducks took a shot to the head.

Just imagine the damage he would have suffered if he were not wearing a visor.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: francois+beauchemin

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

I think he wants to be a Red Wing. way to go Frankie

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/20/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

“c’mon give me an easier one than that….” hilarious, the months backwards.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/20/11 at 02:11 PM ET

Just imagine what kind of damage it could’ve done if his face wasn’t already made of steel.

Posted by Daniel from Sweden on 10/20/11 at 03:01 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think it might have killed him.

Posted by w2j2 on 10/20/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Can anyone give me a good reason why, if visors are so important, we can’t just make full cages mandatory instead?  Because I get the feeling once we make visors mandatory, the focus will then be on the injuries that occur below them anyways (to the mouth area).  That seems to be the way this always works… protect one area, and then another becomes the hot-button issue.

And that’s not even bringing Fighting into this equation…

Posted by Primis on 10/20/11 at 04:46 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Ask #19 what that feels like.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/20/11 at 08:38 PM ET

protect one area, and then another becomes the hot-button issue.

Yeah I’d rather see someone die instead.

Posted by timbits on 10/20/11 at 10:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Yeah I’d rather see someone die instead.

Posted by timbits on 10/20/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Wow.  You seem to have *completely* missed what I was saying.

There was no sarcasm there on my part, I genuinely think they should just all wear full cages like they do in NCAA, and I’ve thought that for some time.  This visor nonsense won’t really solve anything.

I think it would help some with the headshots/concussion issue (not completely but any little bit helps).  You could also eliminate the dumb “4 for Drawing Blood” rule (as it stands now you can deliberately high-stick a guy and get only 2 if no blood is drawn, but accidentally do it while getting plowed over by another guy and draw blood you get 4 because you “were not in control of your stick”... just absolutely absurd).

Honestly I’m tired of seeing guys with eye injuries, broken jaws, etc.

If you then wanted to, you could use full cages to take Fighting out, because with full cages the only way to do it would be to removed the cages first, which could warrant an immediate Game Misconduct + at least several games of automatic suspension (even more for second offense, etc).

Players will hate it of course, but they hated helmets at all first, and they’ve hated visors too… but ask Bryan Berard if he liked nearly losing an eye, or Danny Cleary if he’s enjoyed eating through a straw before.

In the end the only benefit though is for the players themselves.

Posted by Primis on 10/21/11 at 12:49 PM ET

Wow.  You seem to have *completely* missed what I was saying.

Sorry Primis if I missed your point. I thought you were saying that having a requirement to wear shields would result in more and more requirements and ruin the game.

Posted by timbits on 10/21/11 at 01:18 PM ET