Video- What Was Wojtek Wolski Thinking?

Wolski received 2 minutes for an illegal check to the head of Daniel Alfredsson.

Rangers were leading by two at the time of the penalty, they scored on the PP and tied it late in the 3rd.  Now in shootout..

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: wojtek+wolski

Comments

No matter how you slice it, Ottawa got ROBBED in this game. First Kanopka gets 5 mins major for what was borderline even a penalty, then Wolski gets 2 mins for this?

Inexcusable officiating.

If I was a Rangers fan I’d even be mad. And to think they lost in the end…

Posted by Bob Vance Refridgeration from Scranton, PA on 10/29/11 at 07:34 PM ET

Naw don’t see much… need to see more. looks like he shrugged Alfie off with an inadvertent elbow at most. Unless he is a master of disguise that was nothing much.

Posted by timbits on 10/29/11 at 08:17 PM ET

Timbits, it was an elbow to the face. Alfredsson didn’t have the puck.

No brainer.

Posted by Bob Vance Refridgeration from Scranton, PA on 10/29/11 at 10:44 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Didn’t watch the game but from this vid it looks like Wolski was eyeing the path of the puck, noticed Alfy out of corner of eye and lifted elbow to brace for hit. I don’t really see a reckless flying elbow, but careless blow to the head. Depending on his suspension history, maybe a fine or sit one game.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 10/29/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

As was noted above, earlier in the game Kanopka got a major and a game misconduct for boarding on Anisimov. He was originally going to get a two minute, but Anisimov lolled around on the ice for a little while and the refs changed their mind. I don’t think Anisimov missed a shift and the Rags scored twice on the five minute penalty.

On that hit, Kanopka made the hit from the side, shoulder to shoulder. Anisimov was carrying the puck slightly out from the boards, and likely couldn’t have seen Kanopka coming because he approached from behind (although ultimately made the hit from the side). Anisimov’s face went into the boards with a fair amount of force - I think it’s fair that it was a penalty, but the major was likely excessive.

Wolski not only blindsides Alfredsson, who’s not the puck carrier and had moved the puck at least a few steamboats before, but also takes a step out of his way (against the direction of the play) and delivers an elbow direclty to the head. Alfie left the game, and it appears likely the Sens will be without him for at least some time. There’s some inidicia of an intent to injure on the play, and I think he should not only have gotten a major but should face a lengthy suspension.

I admit I’m an Ottawa fan, but I think I’m being fairly reasonable about this (though at the time of the hit, I would have been all for launching a full scale nuclear attack against Poland.)

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 10/30/11 at 12:54 PM ET

awould's avatar

Wolski not only blindsides Alfredsson,
Alfredsson was skating towards Wolski. Wolski is skating a line and Alfredsson turns into it. No way that is a blindside, unless it’s incumbent upon players to make sure that other skaters have their heads up.

also takes a step out of his way (against the direction of the play)
Definitely took a step out of his way.

and delivers an elbow direclty to the head.
I think “delivers” is a bit strong. He stuck his elbow out, but to me it did not look like he intended to take off his head, more to brace for a hit. Also, Alfredsson was bent pretty low so had he been upright a bit more, that elbow would have been “delivered” to his shoulder and nobody would be talking about it.

Wolski should be suspended maybe a game. Mainly because he did step out of his way and he did stick his elbow out. I think this falls into that grey area though, where circumstances make it look worse than it really is and it isn’t fair to Wolski to accuse him of intentionally harming Alfredsson at all. If he intended to harm him, it would have looked a lot worse than two dudes bumping into each other, which is basically what I saw until I replayed it a half dozen times.

For the record, I’m no fan of either team. I used to like Alfredsson though, until I saw this classless garbage move:

Posted by awould on 11/01/11 at 01:06 PM ET